Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a set of LeatherLyke Cross Country bags recently, and while they look much better on my bike than what I had before, I frankly wish they were something other than black.

Anybody ever paint their Leatherlyke bags? If so, what tips/tricks can you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Christine

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hi Chris,

The only tip I've got is to use a plastic specific paint (adheres to plastic bumpers etc. better than regular paint). Post pic's when you're done as I might be interested in doing mine also.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Vinyl paint that sells at the auto parts works quite well !!!
all the brown stuff on my bike has been sprayed with vinyl paint. it has held up well for years. and yes it all was black
[/IMG]

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
Wow. I got to say, that actually looks good! Love the bike. Didn't think you could paint the bags and have them hold the color.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vinyl paint that sells at the auto parts works quite well !!!
all the brown stuff on my bike has been sprayed with vinyl paint. it has held up well for years. and yes it all was black
Oh, that is very cool, Smith ... I did not realize your saddle was painted. I have admired your bike's color scheme for a looong time ... the brown & green look awesome together, like a British race car. Great to know that the results are long-lasting, especially on the seat. Hmmmm....... that's extremely interesting. <Plot, scheme>

Duffy, I'm still mulling over painting. I have the Cross Country bags, which are all-over metal studs. Can't for the life of me figure out how to mask off all those little dots. If I can noodle out a way to do that, I may take the plunge. I think it'd look too odd if I painted over the studs. Unfortunately they can't be removed for painting then replaced.

--Chris

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes the paint sticks real well as long as its stiff leather or vinyl .the stuff is tuff I first used it on my back to back seats in my boat and it took a beating for years so i bought 2 colors for the bike and sprayed light tan and brown kinda just moved it back and forth to get the effect of leather
it was easy and nobody knows its painted every one thinks it all custom . just dont spray soft stretchable leather with it
as far as the metal studs it will come right off them
the paint dries almost instant so if you wait about 5 minutes or so not over nite you can just scrape it right off the studs with out hurting the paint job i did my tank and fender bib and just scraped it right off the studs with my finger nails. it dont stick to the smooth chrome

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Oh, that is very cool, Smith ... I did not realize your saddle was painted. I have admired your bike's color scheme for a looong time ... the brown & green look awesome together, like a British race car. Great to know that the results are long-lasting, especially on the seat. Hmmmm....... that's extremely interesting. <Plot, scheme>

Duffy, I'm still mulling over painting. I have the Cross Country bags, which are all-over metal studs. Can't for the life of me figure out how to mask off all those little dots. If I can noodle out a way to do that, I may take the plunge. I think it'd look too odd if I painted over the studs. Unfortunately they can't be removed for painting then replaced.

--Chris
Be a little time consuming but just cover the studs with vaseline using a Q-Tip, then once the paint has dried, just wipe off the studs. I think that would be a lot easier than scraping dried paint off.

My first thought was to just use a candle and drop a drip of wax onto each stud, but I think the vaseline would work better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be a little time consuming but just cover the studs with vaseline using a Q-Tip, then once the paint has dried, just wipe off the studs. I think that would be a lot easier than scraping dried paint off.

My first thought was to just use a candle and drop a drip of wax onto each stud, but I think the vaseline would work better.
I've wondered if something like that would work. I don't mind it being time-consuming; it's months yet to riding season here.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dunno i swapped a dog for my paint job
Really i did !!!!
my neighbor wanted one of my akc boxer puppies
and it just so happened he paints for a jaguar body shop.
that is what the paint is jaguar metallic green with some gold flake
so we swapped paint for a dog. that was in 2005 i had just bought my bike .it was a salvage /total with 3000 mile on it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts