·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nope and no. :mrgreen:

Spark plugs are only limited by the electrical system thats sending it the spark, and the electrics in the EX250 and EX500 are pretty weak.

EDIT: Upon more inspection these things claim too much for just a mere spark plug replacement as well as carrying a 25 dollar price tag.... each. Don't even bother.

The fuel catalyser is also a load of garbage, I think someone on ex-500.com had bought one out of pure curiousity to see what effects it would have on mileage.. and I think it actually hurt it. Save your money and invest in some good street tires, you'll be amazed what that bike can do.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
High gas prices always bring out the shysters and quacks. Remember the "gas pills" that were making news a year ago?

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah i agree.. non of that stuff is going to help you. im not even a fan of octane boosters (after seeing deposits on my plugs) let alone whatever that thing is..

its better to use cheap plugs and change them more often. as long as you have a nice clean plug in there your all good

I guess.. maybe just get yourself some good gear instead.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
Straight from NGK, the worlds largest spark plug supplier.

"Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable."

NGK Spark Plugs USA

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
id be worried about the plastic canister of the fuel catylist melting down (plastic melts in fuel unless it is gas / oil resistant)

i would stay away from both of those - and lets be honest... how much better mileage do you need on a motorcycle? On a truck that gets 10mpg (thats my winter driver) i wish i could find something to help with mileage.

kenny

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what's the MPG on a 250 Ninja?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Am I just a moron? Is there any way to increase hp or torque other than by increasing the bore or stroke of an engine? How the hell is some additive suppose to increase both of those?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Am I just a moron? Is there any way to increase hp or torque other than by increasing the bore or stroke of an engine? How the hell is some additive suppose to increase both of those?
surprizingly (well at least in the automobiles i have messed with) with using super rated fuel 93 octane on computer controlled ignition systems you will get more power - its not a whole lot but it is more. You will also easily see more fuel milege if you keep track of it.

Now for motorcycles I dont know - I do know that on my 800 drifter which is carberated putting regular or super does not make a difference... actually super is worse cause it has more carbon content.

but I will say - these magic HP/Torque generators usually are just BS

by the way I love the Z1000 and really want to ride one

kenny

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
surprizingly (well at least in the automobiles i have messed with) with using super rated fuel 93 octane on computer controlled ignition systems you will get more power - its not a whole lot but it is more. You will also easily see more fuel milege if you keep track of it.
That's because cages run on a closed loop system and adjust the mixture for optimal F/A ratio. Most bikes are open loop and have no feedback from the engine indicating if it's running too rich/lean/hot/cold.
Also, cages have knock sensors, and will slightly retard the ignition timing on the fly to prevent knock... if you make a modern cage ping, you've either got a major carbon buildup or have REALLY lugged the engine.

It's not so much that they get better mileage/power on premium, it's that they get worse mileage/power on a fuel that is below the recommendation of the designer. If the manual calls for 87, there will be virtually no difference running 91.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bore and stroke determine the compression ratio and hence power. The pulse plug claims it produces more pressure inside the cylinder which is analogous to increasing the compression ratio. Even if it is theoretically correct, I wouldn't do it. Reason: All automotive engines are designed for a certain compression ratio and the materials used can take only so much stress. If what the pulse plug claims is correct I would think that it will have severe effects on the engine itself because of the stress the additional pressure produces. To put it simply...I can live with higher gas prices, rather than a cracked cylinder/head!!!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
rich... i agree with everything you said except for cagers not gaining anything by using higher octane

try it yourself honestly and let me know the result... ive done it on all my automobiles...

the price difference to higher octane fuel does not make it worth it, but it does get better mpg. It also builds up more carbon everywhere with higher octane... well that has been my experience with my truck anyway.

but to keep this on topic... the original poster asked if either of those things would really do anything, and I would say no

kenny

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
The only spark plugs that "help" IMHO are the multi electrode type, and the only thing they do is give you a better chance to get a spark because they have more electrodes available. Aircraft (piston) engines have used them for years.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Bore and stroke determine the compression ratio and hence power. The pulse plug claims it produces more pressure inside the cylinder which is analogous to increasing the compression ratio. Even if it is theoretically correct, I wouldn't do it. Reason: All automotive engines are designed for a certain compression ratio and the materials used can take only so much stress. If what the pulse plug claims is correct I would think that it will have severe effects on the engine itself because of the stress the additional pressure produces. To put it simply...I can live with higher gas prices, rather than a cracked cylinder/head!!!
So the damage you're referring to is what made my brother--out of fear--take the Nitrous tank out of his little Sentra after two uses then? Actually, I should've thought of that analogy when asking about increasing hp...shows you guys how much I know about engines.

If you want better mileage than the 250, your best bet is to get something like a 125.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
That's because cages run on a closed loop system and adjust the mixture for optimal F/A ratio. Most bikes are open loop and have no feedback from the engine indicating if it's running too rich/lean/hot/cold.
Also, cages have knock sensors, and will slightly retard the ignition timing on the fly to prevent knock... if you make a modern cage ping, you've either got a major carbon buildup or have REALLY lugged the engine.

It's not so much that they get better mileage/power on premium, it's that they get worse mileage/power on a fuel that is below the recommendation of the designer. If the manual calls for 87, there will be virtually no difference running 91.
rich... i agree with everything you said except for cagers not gaining anything by using higher octane

try it yourself honestly and let me know the result... ive done it on all my automobiles...

the price difference to higher octane fuel does not make it worth it, but it does get better mpg. It also builds up more carbon everywhere with higher octane... well that has been my experience with my truck anyway.

but to keep this on topic... the original poster asked if either of those things would really do anything, and I would say no

kenny
Rich explained it perfectly. My BMW does the same thing, it's designed for premium but will run on regular if that's all you can get because like Rich said, it has knock sensors etc. So it retards the timing and lets the motor continue to run on the lower grade gas, but at reduced power and efficiency. And I have to second Rich as well about running premium if your bike/car was designed for regular. You're just pouring your money away, literally. A car/bike designed to run on regular with actually produce less power on premium gas. There's less combustible material in premium than in regular, that's why premium doesn't ignite as easy in high compression engines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts