Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a trunk for my Nomad.

As much as I'd like to order a rack from Wampus I'm just finding it a little hard to swallow the $250 price tag (which includes shipping to Canada).

Anybody here fabricate their own rack and still have the template laying around? Have somebody with a shop that says he'll make me one for free if I get a template over to him.

Darryl

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
I catch he!! for the 84 ZN1300 I acquired . "So , refer in the left saddle bag , microwave in the right and a porta-potty in the boot?"
Dorks I ride with . I'm known mostly for a KZ1000p and a string of pavement and dirt track racers that were never meant for the street so it was a bit of a shock to the rank and file when I acquired the Battlestar Gigantica .

~kop

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I catch he!! for the 84 ZN1300 I acquired . "So , refer in the left saddle bag , microwave in the right and a porta-potty in the boot?"
Dorks I ride with . I'm known mostly for a KZ1000p and a string of pavement and dirt track racers that were never meant for the street so it was a bit of a shock to the rank and file when I acquired the Battlestar Gigantica .

~kop
LOL!

I understand completely. ;)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Here are a couple of pics on how mine went together. I put this on about 40k miles ago.

Side adapter plates. The grab rails didn't work as planned, ended up being in an uncomfortable proximity to the seat.

Top view. Picked up a couple of chrome spacers (for front and rear) at Ace Hardware. The rack is bolted to the adapter with 4 bolts each side.

Back view.

Under trunk.

Finished product.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I pulled the backrest out of the original brackets, left the brackets on because they look nice and my wife likes that they are there to grab onto if she needs to. I got 4 brass spacers for the bolts that used to hold the backrest in, this takes up part of the space where the original backrest pipe went into the brackets and allows you to mount two flat plates. I cut 2 flat plates in a triangular shape for looks, one for each side. I run the bolts through the plate and into the brass spacers and then back into the original holes in the brackets. You now have 2 vertical flat plates mounted just inside the chrome hand hold brackets. Then at the top of these flat plates I bolted 2 chunks of angle iron, horizontally which the trunk then bolted to. You could have these welded onto the flat plates, but I had no access to a welder. It's a plus to have bolts, because you can have the holes drilled a little bigger and it gives you adjustment so when the trunk is mounted it doesn't have a twist in it. If you are concerned about strength, I laid a piece of aluminum plate across the angle irons before bolting the trunk down. Very simple, worked well for the 3 years I owned my 2006 Nomad, and also looked good because it left the original chrome parts there to hold onto. I attached a picture, it's not a very good one. I don't have the bike anymore, or I could have had a better picture and not got so detailed in the explanation....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.