Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone out there has the Cobra's on their bike. I like the stock set on my 1600 classic (big improvement over the 500ltd!) but would like some more rumble. Friend has the V&H straitshots on his VTX 1800 and they are a little obnoxious to me. Wondering what the Cobra's sound like and what the quality of them are. Sound clips would be great if you have them if not just some pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated! Thanks, MOF:biggrin:

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Just wondering if anyone out there has the Cobra's on their bike. I like the stock set on my 1600 classic (big improvement over the 500ltd!) but would like some more rumble. Friend has the V&H straitshots on his VTX 1800 and they are a little obnoxious to me. Wondering what the Cobra's sound like and what the quality of them are. Sound clips would be great if you have them if not just some pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated! Thanks, MOF:biggrin:
Sorry, no sound clips... But do I ever love these pipes... I've got the Speedster Longs on my 1500 Classic and they sound great. A friend of mine has the exact same bike but with VH Longshots and the two sound totally different, like you said obnoxious, too loud at idle and just crazy loud at speed. I can tool around my apartment complex at 5:30 am carefully and not have any complaints, the hit the street and BANG, make the old boy roar.

Heres what they look like on my bike..

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj164/Z-In-Jax/xmas036-1024.jpg

Hope that helps a little... I don't thing you'll regret it if you get them... :-D

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and pic. Great looking 1500 there! :biggrin: Definately like the solo seat and clean look of that rear fender. Did you just leave the holes from the seat bolts or fill them? I think I am mostly sold on the Cobra's. Just to loud on the V&H, I usually leave home and get home from work early in the AM. Don't want to wake up the little one! How about the quality of the chrome and pipes themselves? Have never actually seen any first hand. Thanks MOF

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
The quality of everything is top notch. I've had them for about 5 months and zero bluing or any other discoloration.

I only had two very small issues when installing them. One was I (sure it was just me, fat fingers and all) had a heck of a time with the clamp for the shield on the #1 pipe closest to the head, the others just seemed to fall into place. The other was installing the tips, this is best done I found with most all of the bolts loose otherwise they are a little tight sliding into the pipes between the shield and pipe.

Ride Safe.... :lol:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did you have some body work done on your rear fender after removing the pillion? I removed mine for a time and covered the problems (bolt holes and what appears to be spot welds) with a fender chap. Didn't like the look, so I put the pillion back on.

sorry to hijack your thread.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Jesquire, Not sure if the post was meant for me but I am looking at putting a solo rack on my 1600 to cover the bolt holes. The only one I have found that is supposed to fit is the custom world international flat stock rack. I may have a guy here local fabricate one out of tubular stock for me. I was thinking about a bib until I get it done.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Pipes

The quality of everything is top notch. I've had them for about 5 months and zero bluing or any other discoloration.

I only had two very small issues when installing them. One was I (sure it was just me, fat fingers and all) had a heck of a time with the clamp for the shield on the #1 pipe closest to the head, the others just seemed to fall into place. The other was installing the tips, this is best done I found with most all of the bolts loose otherwise they are a little tight sliding into the pipes between the shield and pipe.

Ride Safe.... :lol:
Yes, no bluing and the chrome is just phenomenal. I always keep my pipes cleaned and polished. Sorry, no sounds clips on my end either...personally I love the sound of the COBRA much better than V&H. With a Limited Lifetime Warranty...it is worth the money.

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
I have the longs on my 900 and they are great

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
I have the longs on my 900 and they are great
I am in the same situation and can comment that the fit and finish is excellent. Mine have been on 5000k and still look like thay just came out of the box.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Did you have some body work done on your rear fender after removing the pillion? I removed mine for a time and covered the problems (bolt holes and what appears to be spot welds) with a fender chap. Didn't like the look, so I put the pillion back on.

sorry to hijack your thread.
This may sound silly but I went to Lowes and bought 4 plastic plugs and painted them to match my fender. The tops of the plugs are about 3/4" around and come in black and are slightly textured and fit very low so as to not be too noticeable . I was really lucky and found paint at Advance Auto Parts that matches really well. This allows the the option of replacing the pillion if for some crazy reason I need to carry someone with me while still maintaining a rather clean look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts