Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic Lt in May this year. Love the bike! It performs better as I add the miles. Right now I have 1200 miles. I wish I had time this year to put on more miles, but I just started a new job and did not have the vacation time to take a long trip. I took it on a couple of 250 mile trips and the bike performed well. I get a lot of looks and great comments on the bike. Right now I am averaging about 34-36 mpg. Hopefully that will improve as the bike gets more broken in. I had a problem shifting to 2nd gear, a loud clunking sound. But I found that if I use the back shift going into 2nd at arond 11 mph the bike makes a nice smooth shift. The seat so far has been very comfortable. My wife likes to ride and has not complained about the passenger seat. The only complaint so far is that I have not been able to locate any after market parts to customize the bike yet. I am hoping that will change soon. I will add a picture soon.
I am interested to hear about other riders thoughts on the 1700 Vulcan Classic Lt. By the way I am brand new to this site. I had a 2007 Kawasaki 900 Custom and loved it. But I sold it to get the 1700 so I could be more comfortable on long trips and have more power. I am 6' and 245lbs and the 1700 does the trick.
Hope to hear about other 1700's soon!

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Sorry to say, but the mileage on the 1700's seems to be fairly low. You are getting the mileage that most mags are stating. It's certainly a big drop from the 900 . . .

Unfortunately buying a brand new model such as yours leads to the aftermarket playing catch up for accessories. The 900 Custom is 3 years old and some aftermarket sites still don't show it on drop down lists . . . Enjoy your 1700, it's a real nice bike!

·
MadMac
246 Posts
Bought a new 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic Lt in May this year. Love the bike! It performs better as I add the miles. Right now I have 1200 miles. I wish I had time this year to put on more miles, but I just started a new job and did not have the vacation time to take a long trip. I took it on a couple of 250 mile trips and the bike performed well. I get a lot of looks and great comments on the bike. Right now I am averaging about 34-36 mpg. Hopefully that will improve as the bike gets more broken in. I had a problem shifting to 2nd gear, a loud clunking sound. But I found that if I use the back shift going into 2nd at arond 11 mph the bike makes a nice smooth shift. The seat so far has been very comfortable. My wife likes to ride and has not complained about the passenger seat. The only complaint so far is that I have not been able to locate any after market parts to customize the bike yet. I am hoping that will change soon. I will add a picture soon.
I am interested to hear about other riders thoughts on the 1700 Vulcan Classic Lt. By the way I am brand new to this site. I had a 2007 Kawasaki 900 Custom and loved it. But I sold it to get the 1700 so I could be more comfortable on long trips and have more power. I am 6' and 245lbs and the 1700 does the trick.
Hope to hear about other 1700's soon!
Regardless of the negative vibes coming from your first responder, congratulations on your new 1700LT. Be proud of your new bike and may you have many miles of enjoyment on it with your wife. The fuel mileage is comparable to other bikes in it's class and, imho, it is not objectionable, but expected. The after-market parts issue will iron itself out sometime in 2010, so you shouldn't have very long to wait. It took a year before after-market parts started showing up for my 900LT. I envy your choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All

Thanks for the comments and the welcome's. I don't see a lot of discussions about any of the new 1700's, am I just not able to locate any or are the new models still too new for a lot of talk about them yet?

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I don't think there are a lot of 1700 owners on this forum . . . yet! The new owners may not be aware of this great site. I still haven't seen many 1700's around the Phoenix area, either on the roads or at dealerships!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I haven't even seen a 1700 Classic yet, just the Nomad and Voyager. I do like the Classics though (mine is an 05 1500).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to order mine from the dealer here in Minot. He told me they were promising each dealer (about 2000) only 1 Voyager and Nomad. The Voyger at this store was already bought before it even came in. I have not seen it in town though. I heard about this site from a Kawasaki rider here in town who I met at a gas station. His name on this site is Greg in ND.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great bike. Congrats.

I love my 1700 Nomad.

New accessories will be out soon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2009 Vulcan 1700 Classic LT in April, 2010. I LOVE THIS BIKE. It was my 50th birthday present...it had been 30 years since my last bike. I had been looking at the Honda VTX1300 and had gone to a dealer to look at a Yamaha Road Star when I saw a 900 Classic LT and loved the looks. After a little more research I found my bike at a dealer about 150 miles away. The first day I rode the bike 258 miles and over 200 the second day. I thought that I would not be able to walk after all that sitting, but the comfort was amazing and I NEVER got fatigued. I now have over 1300 miles on the bike and feel that I got an excellent bike for about half the cost of a comparable HD Heritage Softail Classic (which is the bike I "THOUGHT" I wanted; not any more).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I live in Australia. I bought a Vulcan 1700 Classic a few weeks ago. I didn't get the LT. I bought it while Kawasaki Australia was offering a $2,000 AUD cash back and the retailer was offering it at drive away, no more to pay, price. I dearly wanted the Nomad but I went for a test ride and changed my mind. The great thing about the Nomad is the cruise control and pillion foot board, seat, and back rest. But I decided the panniers are appalling, positively spoiled a good bike, and I wanted quick release windshield. I found a company called Hepco & Becker. I'm going to get hard bags from them (not real good cruiser material - I'm getting the Journey) but they are exceedingly practical for touring. This company has the model specific mounting gear. I contacted National Cycles and asked them when a quick release windshield and they said about ten weeks. I'm 50 and I recently went for a ride with a bunch of blokes of all ages. I had them all talking about how the mothership (my Kwaka) stayed with them through some tight corners and the youngins were all riding sports bikes. I have trouble measuring the best speed on the longer/faster corners. I don't know if that is an issue for the bike or my lack of skill riding. I kill the slower sharper corners. Anyway, the outcome was while pushing in the rear end of the younger rides the older guys on sports bikes kept complaining about their sore arms, there sore backs (continue on ad nausium). On the other hand I was as comfortable as sitting on my lounge chair and feeling great even after a full days worth of riding. I have put sissy bars on the bike yet and as it is I would expect anyone to sit on the pillion seat for too long ... the buttocks get a beating. I really like the info next to the speedo, fuel consumption, remaining fuel in kilometres, etc. I’m not fussed on the noising and clunky gear selection and I don’t think the neutral finder works as well as the 1600 (owned one of those before getting the 1700). I must say, I still have this nagging feeling that the 900 is a much more practical bike. My 1700 gives the low rev grunt just like I love it but that bike is plain heavy and if get on uneven ground, or it rains and things are slippery under foot, or just frequent stopping and starting, I really sense the weight of the bike and I get really sore on the inner leg where I’m taking a lot of the weight. I also find it frustrating that the manufacturers of accessories haven’t yet caught up to the 09 and 10 models. However, the will catch up eventually. A couple of little things I discovered about using the bike: 1. Before starting put the bike in neutral, holding the clutch in, and then start the bike with a short rev. That gets the clutch slipping properly and prevents the jump forward that both bikes have had (gets the clutch working properly). Also, though not verified yet, to a problem I have of the bike over revving when I have throttle twisted back to idle, it was suggested that I turn the ignition on and then wait for the fuel system monitors get themselves organised. As I said, I’ve had the problem but haven’t tested the offered solution. There are other cruisers I like better but having to live with the fact that a motorbike isn’t the only priority in my life I couldn’t walk passed the discounts offered to me for the Vulcan. So, after all that I’m happy but it isn’t so good as to prevent me looking at other bikes and wondering, “What would it be like to own THAT one!” But without doubt I’m happy to be in a long relationship with big bertha!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got back from a 1900 mile road trip on my '09 1700 Nomad. I have recently traded up from a 900 Classic LT. The bike performed great. Highway ride was more then expected even with the bike loaded down with all my camping gear. The trip took me down the Blue Ridge Parkway, so I was able to test the performance on mountain roads as well. Never a problem going up or down the steeper inclines. The final stretch was 600+ miles from Milepost 410 on the BRP to Southeast Michigan. Since I had never ridden this far in one day, it was going to be a test of my endurance and the bike comfort on a long ride. Again my expectations were far exceeded. The new seating arrangement was very comfortable. I used a large bag on the back seat a a backrest, which made a big difference I think. And I had added highway pegs on the engine bars before leaving. So now I'll need to look for a backrest as my next upgrade.

Mileage was very reasonable too. Just a tip though, When the fuel range starts blinking at you start looking for gas. I got about 350 miles out of a tank and based on what it took to fill-up, it was "bone dry" (5.2 Gals). Interestingly though the fuel range would constantly change over wide disparities when traveling in the mountains (uphill 90 miles, down hill 290 miles). So if you plan to use it, remember this fact.

All in all, this was the right call to upgrade for this trip. Although I loved my 900, I don't believe I would have enjoyed the trip as much as I did on the Nomad. The last leg would have been too much for me.

As a final note I just want to add that the ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway was the best ride of my life. Since I started riding I had wanted to make this trip, and I'm glad I did it.... Next year it's off to the Rockies!

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Mileage is in the low 40s, but got as much as 51 mpg"

is this on the level?? do all the roads in your area slope downhill?? ;O) I have never heard of anyone with a 1700 getting this kind of mileage! what's your secret??? we must know!

·
Registered
817 Posts
yeah, 350 miles works out to 67 mpg for 5.2 gallons, highly doubtful.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe his bike is a Canadian model and his speedo is kilometers. 350 kilometers would be 217 miles... much more reasonable.
my 1700 gets about 35 mpg average with 80% of my driving being hi-way at 60mph. I have 1800 miles on it now and it's two weeks old. I have to start looking for gas 150 miles after filling up, running on fumes by 170 miles (took 5.1 gallons to fill er up)...

something don't smell right with guys getting 40+, 50+ mpg... somehow apples aren't being compared to apples... don't get me wrong, I love my new 1700, but if I ever get 40mpg I'll consider it a genuine miracle!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drove 1896 miles. Purchased 44.24 gals (includes when I arrived home) avg 42.84 miles/Gal. And they were all us miles and gals. I figure the mileage in the mountains was not so good. 350 was a typo' sorry

·
Registered
149 Posts
Drove 1896 miles. Purchased 44.24 gals (includes when I arrived home) avg 42.84 miles/Gal. And they were all us miles and gals. I figure the mileage in the mountains was not so good. 350 was a typo' sorry
Sooo... we gotta know your secret!! what are you doing to get that mileage??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts