Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was unsure where to post this, seemed to fit no real area, so hope this is okay.
Maybe its a mid life crisis looming on the horizon for me or something.
As I am 37, and they say they can hit around 40 or so.

But lately I have wanted to get back all my old bikes.

I only ever had 1 Honda nighthawk.....sold it and wanted it back from the day after i sold it and replaced it.
So i got another one used, and love it.

Now I wish I also had back my old yami 2 smoker....
I have been looking for a good one or two, or three, heck maybe 13 of them to buy.

I really like this ad, as the dude is funny as well.

eBay Motors: Yamaha : R5 350 RD350 (item 270187344220 end time Nov-21-07 13:06:33 PST)

Too bad its so far away from me or I would likely be bidding on it.
I hope to find one close enough to actually ride it howme, or at least go in my truck, load it up and haul it back....sigh

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Our son had a 2003 KTM 200SX. It was a lot of fun to ride, had a major hit that would loft the front wheel in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. He was a total 2 stroke freak, until he rode a friends 450 4 stroke. The KTM was a major failure, multiple times and cost us almost $4000 in repairs. We sold it to the mechanic at the dealer pretty much for parts, and bought a new Yamaha YZ450F. Won't go near another KTM, expensive parts, long waits for parts, and very poor reliability.

Personally I prefer 4 strokes, they're way easier to ride, unless you are a fearless, very aggressive rider. But I'm over 40 and still fall a lot and it takes weeks to heal, so maybe that's why I prefer the linear nature of a 4 stroke now. :)

Oh and to answer your question, yes, my first bike was a Yamaha IT250 2 stroke.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm not sure but that may have been a Euro/Canada model only. I've only riden one street smoker, 1977, Suzuki GT550. This was back in the early 80's, when it came up on the power band the front end would not stay planted. It definatly wasn't a beginner bike :biggrin: but was fun as all get out.8)

Dan

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure but that may have been a Euro/Canada model only. I've only riden one street smoker, 1977, Suzuki GT550. This was back in the early 80's, when it came up on the power band the front end would not stay planted. It definatly wasn't a beginner bike :biggrin: but was fun as all get out.8)

Dan
My uncle had one of them, took me for a ride as a kid.

He sold it before i was ever old enough to ride it myself....dang it was cool though. :smile:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our son had a 2003 KTM 200SX. It was a lot of fun to ride, had a major hit that would loft the front wheel in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. He was a total 2 stroke freak, until he rode a friends 450 4 stroke. The KTM was a major failure, multiple times and cost us almost $4000 in repairs. We sold it to the mechanic at the dealer pretty much for parts, and bought a new Yamaha YZ450F. Won't go near another KTM, expensive parts, long waits for parts, and very poor reliability.

Personally I prefer 4 strokes, they're way easier to ride, unless you are a fearless, very aggressive rider. But I'm over 40 and still fall a lot and it takes weeks to heal, so maybe that's why I prefer the linear nature of a 4 stroke now. :)

Oh and to answer your question, yes, my first bike was a Yamaha IT250 2 stroke.

I agree that a 2 stroke motor is not ideal for a street bike.....but that aside, they are cool to hear and ride.

Carry tools, wire, duct tape, and still not ride too far from home, as they suck as far as reliability goes.
They are not comfy to ride either....but that said, dang that old yami 2 smoker was a fun bike.

Or was it the memory of my first ever sex on the seat of anything, being on the seat of that very bike that makes me remember it so fondly?

Anyhow, I do want another one....probably not ride it much if i do get one....but make a neat conversation piece sitting in the shop :wink:

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I agree that a 2 stroke motor is not ideal for a street bike.....but that aside, they are cool to hear and ride.

Carry tools, wire, duct tape, and still not ride too far from home, as they suck as far as reliability goes.
They are not comfy to ride either....but that said, dang that old yami 2 smoker was a fun bike.

Or was it the memory of my first ever sex on the seat of anything, being on the seat of that very bike that makes me remember it so fondly?

Anyhow, I do want another one....probably not ride it much if i do get one....but make a neat conversation piece sitting in the shop :wink:
And just don't hold it WFO for more than a few seconds at a time. That was how Luke blew it up the last time, racing his buddy on a 450 4 stroke quad, and not wanting to lose. He held it WFO for about 30 seconds and that was it. :-(

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And just don't hold it WFO for more than a few seconds at a time. That was how Luke blew it up the last time, racing his buddy on a 450 4 stroke quad, and not wanting to lose. He held it WFO for about 30 seconds and that was it. :-(
He had it jetted a bit too lean I bet.

I use to run mine WFO for long stretches ( I was young) and never a problem.
Although in town and putting around slowly it would occasionally foul a plug.
Or if not started every day would occasionally require a pal tow me down the road with his car to get it going. ;)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I had both a 1972 H1 500 Triple, and a 1974 H2 750. Both of these would scare you into dribbling. That's a fact. The handling in the twisties sucked until you did some major modes, but once you did, I could pass most other bikes on the road easily.

Used to really P/O the local HD boys. Oh my what fun that was :)

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I had an old Suzuki GT550 3 cyl. two stroke. Never had any issues at all with it. Except the big beast banged through the gears just as quick as the Enduro I'd had before. It was really comfy and it would fly! I'd love to have one again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had an R5 like the one in that ebay ad...same color and all. Yep, it's much like an RD except for lack of reed valves, five speed instead of six, and drum brake up front. It was my first real licensed street bike. I rode it stock for about a year and it was a pretty competent bike. Handled good and was comfortable and reasonably fast but it couldn't run with the RD models.

Then I had it bored and ported. Installed some special pistons of some sort that the bike shop sold me on and put on expansion chambers. RDs weren't a problem after that. Neither were stock 750 Hondas, Sportsters, Suzuki GT750s...... Only problem was it had become a chore to ride with a ridiculous high and narrow powerband.

I saw an R5 recently in a shop. I don't think it's for sale, more of a display piece. I was looking it over and thinking, "I use to ride one of those? Man, it's tiny."

·
Registered
915 Posts
My very first street bike was a Suzuki Titan 500 twin 2 stroker.
(It's the one I wrecked outside my school on @ 88mph:shock: )

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My very first street bike was a Suzuki Titan 500 twin 2 stroker.
(It's the one I wrecked outside my school on @ 88mph:shock: )
Dang, glad you survived that.
Them 2 strokes tend to have scary acceleration, its like an on/off switch, and demands respect.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Was unsure where to post this, seemed to fit no real area, so hope this is okay.
Maybe its a mid life crisis looming on the horizon for me or something.
As I am 37, and they say they can hit around 40 or so.

But lately I have wanted to get back all my old bikes.

I only ever had 1 Honda nighthawk.....sold it and wanted it back from the day after i sold it and replaced it.
So i got another one used, and love it.

Now I wish I also had back my old yami 2 smoker....
I have been looking for a good one or two, or three, heck maybe 13 of them to buy.

I really like this ad, as the dude is funny as well.

eBay Motors: Yamaha : R5 350 RD350 (item 270187344220 end time Nov-21-07 13:06:33 PST)

Too bad its so far away from me or I would likely be bidding on it.
I hope to find one close enough to actually ride it howme, or at least go in my truck, load it up and haul it back....sigh

I had a Yamaha LS2 - a great little bike that I loved. I also owned a Suzuki 180 and a Suzuki GT380. They were both good bikes, but the 380 got really bad gas milage.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
First was a '68 Kaw 350 something. Tried to kill myself several times with it but by time I finally learned how to ride it I had pretty good throttle and clutch control. :)

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
I had a '75? Kawi KH 400 triple. That little bike was quick. I must have ****ed some folks off too because someone stole it and threw it down a ravine.:mad:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts