Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopped on my 96 1500 2 days ago and noticed that the speedo was reading 70 while parked in the driveway. Said to myself, "Self, there's another fix to add to the list" I checked the cable and lubed it up and went for a ride. It read zero for the whole ride. Then, I was ridding yesterday and all was well again...........WTF? I am going to let it go for now, but if it does it again, I will have to check it out further. Anyone gone inside one of those buggers?

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Oh yeah...this one is right down my alley since I just spent 300 bucks fixing a 15 dollar problem.

My speedo started flaking out. The strange part was that the odometer seemed to be working just fine. I figured it HAD to be the speedo going bad, so I bought a used one. I installed it and it worked fine for about a month and then IT flaked out. In frustration, I bought a new cable. It fixed the problem. :(

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My odometer is still working, so I figured that the cable is fine.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmm...............Well, like I said, I am going to just watch it for now. The odo does work as I am going down the road, but the speedo is either zero or stuck at around 70. I am not one to throw parts at it. I will fix the speedo if that's the problem, with whatever it takes.

.....................report at 11.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
while rolling down the road, try reaching in front of the tank and wiggling the speedo cable and see what effect that has.

My speedo would move sometimes, but not in sync with the speed. Sometimes it would freeze at either zero or someplace higher up. I'd be rolling down the road at about 45 and my speedo would read 80. Really crazy stuff. All I know for sure is that it cured itself when I put a new cable on it. Since it's cheap to replace, I'd suggest you do that before tearing into the speedo.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I know The Cadillacs sung Speedo. Does that help?

That's weird that the odometer would be working and not the speedo.

·
Every dog has it's day...
1,113 Posts
Nice title... just had to say it. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts