Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I have a kawasaki h1 500, it's time to do an overhaul of the engine! I bought new connecting rods and while on the site I bought them there was a photo of the Long brand (made in japan), they sent me the aoki racing connecting rod kit (made in taiwan).
I wanted to ask if anyone knows about these connecting rods if they are quality and worth installing in my engine ..
thanks and sorry for my mediocre english.

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your English is fine. I wouldn't know you had a problem with it, actually, you don't. I don't know about these rods, I can't help you there. It depends on what they are made of. Also, if you had stock rods and had them shot peened, that stress relieves them and makes them much stronger. If those rods are Chrome Molybdenum, then they probably are worth it. They're probably worth it, and you already own them. A good stock set is fine too though. After market Japanese stuff is usually pretty good. You have to pay a lot for that stuff in the U.S. which is why we don't see much of it. It looks well cast and machined. I couldn't see what kind of problem you anticipate unless you're going to race it, but how would you know?. Those two strokes revved pretty high, and that bike handles horribly. I used to pop wheelies in turns, not meaning to, and almost killed myself a few times. I'd worry more about upgrading the brakes, and maybe a longer swing arm, to help keep the front end down. Truly a little rocket ship! :)

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
It's a great bike to own and restore. Worth a pretty penny because they are becoming increasingly rare.
But as Kawasakian points out, they are high horsepower, peaky, wheelie machines earning the nickname "widowmaker".
My friend had one and he put it over backwards.

So, be careful out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello to everyone Okay everything is great! I talked to the supplier and he will replace them with Japanese Long! I know about the tremendous horsepower in relation to the subframe it has but I will not leave it original. I do not think in any case to sell it so I will make it to my measurements! I have already installed another Kawasaki Z 750 oil front air system. I have installed alloy wheels from the Kawasaki GPZ 750 with two strong disc brakes as well as a rear disc brake !! I have installed the rear scissor Yamaha FZ 400, the whole game is played there because with the original scissors the motorcycle was very flexible! The shaft has rings while the new one has bearings !! As for the engine, it will also undergo a strong improvement! I bought Wossner pistons, I will improve the evolution of the flow in the cylinders and the icing on the cake will be the very special handmade vampire exhaust made here in Greece I am very happy and I can't wait to tear it up !! Stay tuned!!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow, the shop pics blew right by me. That concrete floor, what a dream. My town would not let me put a concrete slab down for a floor, then, when I almost had finished my Barn, they changed their mind. Zoning can really suck. They were afraid I was going to try and sneak a commercial business into a residential neighborhood. I was, I am the business. How different is that from everyone here telecommuting? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job on cleaning the cases. Did you vapour blast or use the old fashioned way of scrubbing with varsol?
With chemical liquid. I mix it with water, put 10% chemical in a liter of water. I wash with a pressure machine and then i spray with a vaporizer, i leave it for about 5 minutes and then i rinse well! Tomorrow I will send a photo of the chemist.
It makes an awesome result!!I'm very happy!

·
Registered
542 Posts
When I turned my CB400F into a Kaz Yoshima 458 cc, I glass bead blasted my engine cases. I wanted to get the original Honda silver finish but could not. I was much younger and did not realize it was painted on. I was at a motorcycle race, and I was camped next to Team Suzuki Motorcycle Racing. One of the mechanics suggested that since I had glass bead blasted the cases, I Blacken it with "Gun Cote" bluing made by a company called "Kal-Guard". I had to heat the cases to 200d degrees, and spray it with a special electronic circuit board cleaner made by a company called "Spray-On". This stuff left no Residue. Immediately after the chemical dried, you would spray on the "Gun-Kote" bluing, and "voila", I had the same color engine as Team Suzuki's" motorcycle engine. It also increase heat dissipation of the case by up to 14%. Same stuff that is used on gun barrels. It looks almost Black.

I also replaced the rims with aluminum D.I.D. Gold anodized rims with Stainless Steel spokes. I found that if you use high temperature Silver Spray pain, then, when dry, spray with a clear coat, it looks like a stock engine that all the motorcycles, and hubs had. It is uncanny how stock that combination works.. The nice thing about the "Gun-Kote" finish is that an area wears, you can spray it right onto a hot engine, and it blends right in. Kazio Yoshima redid my carburetors (turned them into smooth bores), polished the intakes ports on the cylinder head, and hand bent an exhaust and Flo Benched it all together, then sent it back to me. That cost me around $800 dollars back in 1979! That was a lot of money back then, still is. I was clocked at 136 mph on that bike revving at 14,500 rpm's. Not bad for a single overhead cam bike. I smoked many larger displacement bikes with that bike back in the 1970's. With the aluminum Koni shocks, it handles like a dream. I rode with "Clip=on" handles bars, and a small 1/4 fairing. It was a true cafe racer. It has 8.950 miles on it now. It is "pickled" in my Barn, tucked away. A little treasure.

You engine looks great inside. You obviously know your trade. I worked and restored a lot of 1960's and 1970's Mercedes Benz cars, and a couple of M.G.s. I will remember your offer about cars! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Νice story !! You have photos ?? I would love to admire it! :)
I am also thinking of painting the whole engine but I am afraid that it will negatively affect the temperature induction, especially in the cylinders. The other option is to i polish it slowly with dremel or just polish it with sandblasting glass.what do you suggest I do?

·
Registered
542 Posts
My '83 GS750ES Suzuki came with the cases polished, then clear coated. Looked great new, but as time passed moisture got under the clear coat and tarnished the aluminum. Last year I took off the outer cases, I had to replace the clutch (which lasted 40,000) miles, the bikes original clutch), put a new one in with new springs, and I used Jewelers Rouge and Polished the engine case covers with the Rouge. It shines like chrome. The engine itself is Black, I would stove pipe black, on the upper and lower cases, to help dissipate heat, and just do the outer cases in Polished Aluminum. Some water drops tarnished the clutch cover, it took literally 2 minutes to polish them out. I was going to clear coat them, but a year later, they just look so shiney, not worth painting. I have two more small covers to polish, then I'm done.

My CB458 Yoshima Honda is buried in the corner of my Barn. The exhaust have a layer of surface rust. I am going to wrap them. I plan to get that bike back on the road in a couple of years. It would be hard to get a pic of it. I'll try, I am building a shed to store my MG in as I need more floor space in my workshop. My bad back just really slows down what I can do. ;)

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
Clear coat to protect aluminum was a great idea until it starts to unbond and then it looks horrible. At that point, I do what Kawasakian does and polish the aluminum. I use Autosol but there are many products out there that can make it look like chrome if you want to go that far.

It is a shame the damage that can occur when storing a bike. I have a 1967 Yamaha Twin Jet that for just one winter I had to store it in one of those tent shelters. Little did I know that it can "rain" inside those shelters. In certain temperature/humidity conditions, water will condense on the inside roof and then rain down on whatever is inside. Sadly this made the rust on my chrome gas tank and rims a lot worse than it already was. I should have sprayed a layer of oil over the bike before storing it, and then thrown a loose tarp over it. Live and learn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spoke today with an acquaintance of mine who has done electrostatic painting on his motorcycle and he told me that they are very durable over time so I will end up there, the cost is not high, two wheels and the whole engine at about 300 euros.I will come back with photos when they are painted! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My CB458 Yoshima Honda is buried in the corner of my Barn. The exhaust have a layer of surface rust. I am going to wrap them. I plan to get that bike back on the road in a couple of years. It would be hard to get a pic of it. I'll try, I am building a shed to store my MG in as I need more floor space in my workshop. My bad back just really slows down what I can do. ;)
I wish you to rebuild it and enjoy it as before!!😊

1 - 17 of 17 Posts