Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Nope.

I had them on the old V2K, they were a great addition. not only made it far more comfortable, but steering input required seemed somehow less.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never rode with them but they look like they'd be really uncomfortable to me. Like my hands would fall asleep. Not the case?

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I've never rode with them but they look like they'd be really uncomfortable to me. Like my hands would fall asleep. Not the case?
Depends on the height I guess. mine were 14" tall, my arms were no higher than my shoulders at anytime. My back felt a million times better than with the stock bars.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I cannot think of a single downside to apes other than it cost some money to install them. Most people that poo poo apes have never ridden with them or are going on what others have said. The others spoken of have also not ridden with them either.

Here's my take................I liked them as soon as I bolted them on. The bike was much more easier to push around and manuever as I was doing the install. My back pain has now disappeared. The bike is easier to steer, even at low parking lot speed. It's kinda like power steering. Because of the height of the bars, you have more leverage to hold the bike up and to raise it if it falls over. With apes, your mirrors are up at eye level, which I like. For me, it is a plus all the way around and they look cool to boot.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

Now, are ape hangers bike specific or do you just need to know a diameter for them?

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I cannot think of a single downside to apes other than it cost some money to install them. Most people that poo poo apes have never ridden with them or are going on what others have said. The others spoken of have also not ridden with them either.

Here's my take................I liked them as soon as I bolted them on. The bike was much more easier to push around and manuever as I was doing the install. My back pain has now disappeared. The bike is easier to steer, even at low parking lot speed. It's kinda like power steering. Because of the height of the bars, you have more leverage to hold the bike up and to raise it if it falls over. With apes, your mirrors are up at eye level, which I like. For me, it is a plus all the way around and they look cool to boot.
Well said! :mrgreen:

This is the only person who I've seen that appears to be having any difficulty....but these are just toooo tall!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdmfD1bMhVU

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Thanks!

Now, are ape hangers bike specific or do you just need to know a diameter for them?
Mine are not bike specific. They are generic 16" Burley bars. My stock bars were 1". Mine are 1 1/4" with the riser and grip section at 1". The other dimension to watch is the knurled section. I think most are 3.5 inches, center to center, which was a good fit for me. There was a little grinding and filing needed in the grip area, but no big deal.

·
'08 900 custom
739 Posts
Mine are mini apes and at a total of maybe 10" rise after the bars and risers. I absolutely love mine! They give me a little more agressive look, and I think its more comfortable than the stock bars. I'm 6'2" and I got a back ache after a while with the stock bars. Just kind of pinched me after riding for a bit.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
For those of you that have added them. Has the bike gotten harder to maneuver?
Easier.

It's like power steering, with a good rack and pinion unit where you retain the road feel.
Much more leverage on the bars... just THINK "push" and the bike leans over.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have 9 in mini apes with 5.5in risers and love em. Easier to handle the bike and much easier on the back and arms for me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have 16" kong bars and love them! I will always have a bike with apes. With the mustang seat,back rest and apehangers, the only reason to stop is for gas.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts

That was my concern as well. I used to have trouble with my hands falling asleep even with my stock bars. especially my throttle hand, and I awlays attributed it to the 2 surgeries I had on my left hand and elbow. I installed a throttle lock just for this purpose. since Ive installed my Apes (mini apes, my hands are now sholder height) I haven't needed to use my throttle lock once. My hand hasnt fallen asleep yet since I got my apes.
would I ever go back?? not a chance, ever.

as for your first question. on the contrary. The bike is actually easier to handle. yet another reason I wont be going back.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Wild One Chubby 14" apes on my 1600. Best mod I've added! Much more comfortable & easier to manuver! :biggrin:

Bike specific? I don't think so. Mine were listed for HD but fit my 1600 fine. My OEM's were 1". I ordered 11/4" Chubbys but they are 1" at the risers & grips. I think most 11/4" bars are 1" at the risers & grips. There are some 11/2" bars that require larger risers.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ya... Kawi's are generally fine with Harley bars. The RoadStar and VTX have rotated risers that extend the forward part of the riser/cap beyond the normal narrowed part of the bars, but it's slight and not a big deal to have the risers line-bored to 1.25"... or just replaced with straight risers.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
It must just be me but, I don't like them. My martial arts training has taught me that, any time your hands are above your shoulders or your elbows are out side your body your leverage becomes weak.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
It must just be me but, I don't like them. My martial arts training has taught me that, any time your hands are above your shoulders or your elbows are out side your body your leverage becomes weak.
When controlling a bike, not true with the elbows, because of the direction of the input to the bars.

Watch motocross riders... they assume the "attack" position. They rotate their arms so that their elbows are pointed outward and they are pushing in toward the bars.

More leverage does not always equal more control.

I would normally be inclined to agree with the hand position, but the underlying issue is comfort and fatigue. If your wrists and hands are numb from a poor grip position, that is going to offset any control advantages provided by a lower bar position.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have 16" kong bars and love them! I will always have a bike with apes. With the mustang seat,back rest and apehangers, the only reason to stop is for gas.
Same here........I used to look forward to gas stops just to get off the bike. Now gas stops are an interruption to my riding.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll have to look into them then. I'll search for this answer because I'm sure it's been asked before but...
What all do I need? The bars, some sort of cable extensions for the throttle cables, brake cable and clutch cable?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts