Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, not another ape question right? Just wanted you guys to help me make my decision on the size. I have had apes on my last two bikes and loved them. I think I want 16" Milwaukee Twins 11/4" bars. The 12" are right at or just a smidge below my shoulders, but I like the look of the taller ones better. I am about 5'9" or so and might take a long trip here and there, but most rides will be local within 100 miles or so. Should I just go for it and get the taller ones or stick with the 12's? I have a 2001 800 classic, by the way. Thanks for the replies in advance!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its a personal choice, but i would got with the 16's. I'm 6ft 2 and i have some on my v2k and I love them. If you know of some one who has 16's on their bike ask them to ride it and see how it feels to you.
Ride Safe, Chester

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Personal choice.......I had originally ordered 14", but later changed my mind and ordered 16"...........I am glad I did. I am a shade sort of 6 foot and they are just a tad above my shoulders and very comfy. I think the 16" look better, but again, it's all a matter of choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personal choice.......I had originally ordered 14", but later changed my mind and ordered 16"...........I am glad I did. I am a shade sort of 6 foot and they are just a tad above my shoulders and very comfy. I think the 16" look better, but again, it's all a matter of choice.
I agree. I've had the 12's for quite some time and they looked awsome on my old xs, but I think the big thick 16's would look killer and still be very comfy. I won't be doing any cross country touring and I think they would still work for even a day or two of riding at a time.

·
Father Guidosarducci
565 Posts
Make sure you check your local laws regarding the height. Also other state have regulations so research before you buy or you will be a prime LEO target. A lot of state have restriction where your hands have to be shoulder height and no more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really don't have a problem around here with that. The cops are cool as long as you are cool. Some of the monor things they will let slide. When you goof up, they will let you know in more ways than one!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I agree. I've had the 12's for quite some time and they looked awsome on my old xs, but I think the big thick 16's would look killer and still be very comfy. I won't be doing any cross country touring and I think they would still work for even a day or two of riding at a time.
Mine are much more comfy that the standard bars. I don't do any touring, but I found that with the stock bars, I would start getting back pain after about 30 minutes. I have ridden all day with the apes with no back pain. I have to agree, the thick 16'ers do look killer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the 1 1/4" bars are on order. Ended up going with the 16". I couldn't test fit any, but did have some 12" to test. Yeah, they were cool, but wanted to be satisfied and since I have had 12's in the past I wanted to go a little higher. I really don't think it will be a bad reach for me. Guess I will have to live with it or sell them if they don't work. Gettin' excited now!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You will be a little apprehensive when you take them out of the box....I was. You will say something like "Oh, crap, what have I done". Once I bolted them on, I knew I was going to like them. I hadn't hooked up anything yet, but I liked the way the bike felt just pushing it around (I tried not to make motor noises). Once done, i went for my first ride and before I went 2 blocks, i knew they were a winner. I am a little taller than you at just under 6' and on my 1500, my hands are just above my shoulders. If I sit up straight, they are about even. I'm not sure how they will come out for you on a 800. I wouldn't want mine any lower. Here's and old picture before I fixed my pipes and solo'd out my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sharp bike man! I think I will like them. I need to get a pic of mine up. Bought it just before the first of the year and threw a little tlc at it and I am riding it every chance I get. Ky is cold and nasty this time of year!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Thanks.....by the way, on a side note, you seem to get more attention on a bike with apes.......more waves.....even from the HD guys........lol

·
Threadjacker
111 Posts
Make sure you check your local laws regarding the height. Also other state have regulations so research before you buy or you will be a prime LEO target. A lot of state have restriction where your hands have to be shoulder height and no more.
Texas law is 15" above the seat! That seems ridiculous because my flat bars (with 6" risers) are 15.5" above my seat. I don't think they are strict about it, though. I see apes frequently (even 20"+). It just gives cops an excuse to f*** with you if they want. I often wonder, if tested, what percentage of TX LEOs would be able to give you the correct regulation for motorcycle handlebars.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Texas law is 15" above the seat! That seems ridiculous because my flat bars (with 6" risers) are 15.5" above my seat. I don't think they are strict about it, though. I see apes frequently (even 20"+). It just gives cops an excuse to f*** with you if they want. I often wonder, if tested, what percentage of TX LEOs would be able to give you the correct regulation for motorcycle handlbars.

I guess that I won't be riding in Texas. :shock:

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
You will be a little apprehensive when you take them out of the box....I was. You will say something like "Oh, crap, what have I done". Once I bolted them on, I knew I was going to like them. I hadn't hooked up anything yet, but I liked the way the bike felt just pushing it around (I tried not to make motor noises). Once done, i went for my first ride and before I went 2 blocks, i knew they were a winner. I am a little taller than you at just under 6' and on my 1500, my hands are just above my shoulders. If I sit up straight, they are about even. I'm not sure how they will come out for you on a 800. I wouldn't want mine any lower. Here's and old picture before I fixed my pipes and solo'd out my bike.
The trim needs paint, and the flower box needs flowers.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Like I said............it's an old picture. The trim got painted and the flower box has flowers in the summer. Too bad that I just got uglier.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Texas law is 15" above the seat! That seems ridiculous because my flat bars (with 6" risers) are 15.5" above my seat. I don't think they are strict about it, though. I see apes frequently (even 20"+). It just gives cops an excuse to f*** with you if they want. I often wonder, if tested, what percentage of TX LEOs would be able to give you the correct regulation for motorcycle handlebars.
I work for the FD here and if you give them your department ID when you give them your DL usually they just let you go as long as you haven't robbed a bank. Sucks, I know.:wink:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I work for the FD here and if you give them your department ID when you give them your DL usually they just let you go as long as you haven't robbed a bank. Sucks, I know.:wink:
Yeah it sure does........can't even get away with robbing a bank. What's the world coming to. Turn about is fair play, I always say.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts