Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been asking myself lately this question, I am not sure what would be a good answer.
I am thinking to put 12” apes on my 900 Custom, I already have the risers on the original handlebar and looking at some pictures (see attached) I cannot see much of a difference between the 2 of them.
I am 6’ tall and I do not have problems reaching the handlebar although I find that you have to put a little bit of effort to maneuver at slow speeds.
Some people here compare the apes to power steering on a car, what do you guys rekon by looking at these pics, would it make any difference in feel and handling?
And then the position of the wrist will change in angle a little bit, how would that affect the long runs, will it be a more relaxed position?

PS: I’ve borrowed the pictures from fellow forum members, thank you J

View attachment 28483

View attachment 28484

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Just curious, but what is your reason "to do"?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious, but what is your reason "to do"?
Thats another good question.
They say that the grass is always greener....
There is a bit of trend on this forum about apes lately and I probably got caught in it.
And then there is the searching for the better position, feel and look that will never stop.
The real reason is actually looking for a better handling at slow speeds, I’ve been in a parking lot and tried some of the “Motorman” manoeuvres, like even the cone waving and it is very demanding on the bars, you really have to push and pull hard to make this bike switch and wave at low speed.
It is getting better with practice but who wouldn’t like “power steering” J

Still don’t have a straight answer for “why to do”, do I?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was recently in a Harley shop and sat on a Night Train that had apes of some size on it...not real tall, but just right. Man did it feel nice to have my arms up a little higher. Felt a lot more comfortable. Ever since then I've wanted apes on my 1500....but the cost of everything involved keeps getting in the way.

For me, the comfort is no doubt the reason I would do it.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I have 12" apes PLUS Phat II risers. The combination is perfect for me. I was having a lot of arm pain before I made the switch. I have no idea why, but the stock handlebars just didn't do it for me, even with risers. I find that my arm and hand position is much more comfortable with the 12" apes.

Plus, they look good. :)

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I would love some apes, but can't afford them right now. I think they look great and every bike that I have sat on that had them, felt great!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I think that, now a days, apes are becoming more of an "old school" approach. The so called "popular approach" is going for hard bags and fairings. That being said, the main reason that I went for apes is comfort and they difinitely fill the bill in that department. Secondary is looks, but I do love the look. Cost was not an option as I was suffering from low back pain which is now gone. The "power steering" effect is definitely there. I noticed that as soon as I bolted them on. I'm sure apes are not for eveyone, but they are for me and I will never go back. All to often, the naysayers are the one who have never riden with them.

·
AZs #1 TOURIST ATTRACTION
15,308 Posts
I think that, now a days, apes are becoming more of an "old school" approach. The so called "popular approach" is going for hard bags and fairings. That being said, the main reason that I went for apes is comfort and they difinitely fill the bill in that department. Secondary is looks, but I do love the look. Cost was not an option as I was suffering from low back pain which is now gone. The "power steering" effect is definitely there. I noticed that as soon as I bolted them on. I'm sure apes are not for eveyone, but they are for me and I will never go back. All to often, the naysayers are the one who have never riden with them.
<-----------------:biggrin: since installing my Apes!!

Yep, what he said!!!

·
Work in progress
167 Posts
I just put 12.5" apes on my VN900 classic just for looks, but once I sat on the bike after installing them I fell in love with the feel of them. Go for it you'll love them.

·
07 900 Classic
586 Posts
Those are chimps not gorillias or orangatans. I had a set of buckhorns on my Yamaha 650 Special that were 12 in tall and they were very comfortable. Pappie

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Apes are just plain cool. I have no idea about the comfort factor as I've never road with them. I do want them though, always have. That's the poser in me coming out. :lol:

·
Alaska Grown
105 Posts
How high are the stock bars? I see people saying 12" apes but how much higher is that than stock?
I need to bring the bars back to me too and I don't like the looks of the risers that I've seen.

So apart from the bars and the cables (if I get apes I'm going to get braided cables too), is there anything else to buy to add apes?

·
Registered
182 Posts
im gonna be the one guy who says run away from apes. i dont like them, and they do not offer any more stability . they offer less you just get used to riding that way.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
im gonna be the one guy who says run away from apes. i dont like them, and they do not offer any more stability . they offer less you just get used to riding that way.
Now see, I've heard the exact opposite from just about everyone here that rides with them. And not all of them have been riding with them forever.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Now see, I've heard the exact opposite from just about everyone here that rides with them. And not all of them have been riding with them forever.
I wouldn't dream of ever purchasing amnother cruiser without them. As long as they are the right height, they are a fantastic, and comfortable addition.

I put around 15000km on my old cruiser last year, and about 20000km the year before........all of that out on road trips. If I ever purchased a cruiser again, I just couldn't imagine not riding with some sort of Ape / Mini-Ape type setup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i rode a friends fatboy with apes. most uncomfortable and crap handling ive ever experienced. but i also spent 20 years riding a sportbike with clip ons below the triple trees . so maybe im partial, wanna talk about comfort and steering response, contersteering and turning instantly with total control. with apes i felt like i had no control and i had to overcome the bikes center to steer. never would I ride with them. its not for everyone. i like straight or low drag bars. i can almost whip my 800A around on my knee.:tongue:

ever see a track bike , sportbike or otherwise with apes??

·
Yet another 800 Bobber...
598 Posts
Doing it for the comfort? Well if it works for you, why not. For the look, nah I rather not.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
I just put 12.5" apes on my VN900 classic just for looks, but once I sat on the bike after installing them I fell in love with the feel of them. Go for it you'll love them.
Could you post a picture of them?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ya know, I have been asking myself the same question!!! I cant decide if I should take the plunge with 18'' apes or stay stock? I own a 1500 classic though so its a bit different than your bike, but I think if your going to go through all the trouble to put apes on your ride, and your doing it for looks, dont get anything smaller than 16''.

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
<...snipped...>

I personally don't like apes that are rotated back towards the rider as
seen in the pic you included. If they're aligned with the angle of the
forks then they look just right IMO.

Depending on the height of the apes and your ergonomics, you might be
more exposed to wind blast that turns you into a human sail especially
at higher speeds. Adding a windshield does make a difference, but not
everyone wants a windshield with apes.

At slow speeds you tend to turn or steer the bike more than lean it with