Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking around the forums for a few months now but this is my first post. I guess first thing to do would be to tell you about myself and my bike.

I have a 03 Mean Streak that i got with the intention of using it as a stepping stone to get back into bikes after not riding for 15 years. After having it for about a year I have decided that i like it and want to make it my own. I have plans to personalize it to my wants and wishes. So far I have changed the pipes to V&H Long shots and the Tornado air intake.

I have a bad lower back so my current project is a new seat and bars. I have a mustang touring seat on the way. I am now planning out my bars. I have read a lot of the post on here and have a few questions.

I have talked to several people and read a lot of forums and have decided that Ape hangers are the way to go to help me sit up more and comfort. All the bikes that I sat on were Harley's so I am having trouble deciding what height I should get. I am 6'2" and was thinking that 16" apes would be the best to keep my hands roughly about the same height as my shoulders. But every forum I have looked at no one talks about that size risers they are using.

My current plan is 16" buffalo apes with 1.5" buffalo risers. I am also planning on getting barnnet +10 cables. My concern is that the mustang seat moves you back. is the turn out on the bars enough to reach with out having the bars pulled back to far. I also have heard that Kong bars are real comfortable.

At the risk of being to long winded already I am looking for conformation or better ideas to this idea. I also wanted to know if the job is enough for a mechanicly inclined person that is new to motorcycles> i have been talking to my local custom chopper shop but they are having a hard time with the cables. because of the split in the brake line.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
If you do it yourself, most everyone here will be glad to help you with advise. I have a weak back and I love my apes (6' 1" with 16" apes on stock risers with 3" extensions)....actually seeing a Mean Streak with apes is what made up my mind to put them on my 900. They look pretty cool on a Streak to me but I'm sure others may have a different opinion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock risers and the extensions is what i am having a hard time getting my head around my stock bar doesnt use risers the bars bolt right to the tree.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
The stock risers and the extensions is what i am having a hard time getting my head around my stock bar doesnt use risers the bars bolt right to the tree.
Same deal as 900 Custom bars. Just unbolt them and then stock risers bolt on from the top. My Custom had drag bars stock. I took the bolts out from the bottom, installed risers and bolts from the top....put the nuts and washers on the bottom. No big deal. Actually my risers (which are for a 900 Classic) came off of a Mean Streak.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
and then stock risers bolt on from the top.
Do you know the measurements of the stock risers?
I'm about to put 16" on my MS but I need a pair of short risers, maybe 2" for a 1.1/4 bar, but I lack the third measurement for the risers... :confused:
(..or are all risers the same?)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so here is an update.

After having a long conversation with the guys at Phat I made the big purchase. I got 16" Baron Kongs. I got the 1.5" La Chopper risers and the Barons riser adapters. Guy i talked to told me the Kongs reduce at the mount point so I was limited on the risers to 1'" risers. I also ordered +10 galfer throttle, 3 line brake, and clutch line. Think 1 did pretty good came to $575. Wish i could have gotten diffrent risers but I have been waiting to get this done for 3 weeks and it will take another 3 weeks to get the parts.

On to the question I was planning to take my bike in to a shop to get all this installed but trying to decide if i can do it my self. Im not worried to much about the wires since the work I do I deal with wires all the time, other then trying to figure out where to splice extensions in. My concern is how hard is it to dismantle the grips and install the throttle line. and how difficult is it to bleed the clutch if I can do the job in a weekend I will rather then pay some one a couple hundred to get it done. any thoughts or suggestions or ideas.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
I got 16" Baron Kongs. I got the 1.5" La Chopper risers and the Barons riser adapters.
Hehe, I got the exact same package! DId you choose Mohawk style as well, or are you going with smooth? :tongue:

Guy i talked to told me the Kongs reduce at the mount point so I was limited on the risers to 1'" risers
What does that mean? :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehe, I got the exact same package! DId you choose Mohawk style as well, or are you going with smooth? :tongue:

What does that mean? :confused:
I went with smooth

The barons Kong Bars are 1.25 " round pipe but at the mounting area of the pipe it reduces to 1" round pipe so i had to go with risers that support 1 " instead of nicer risers that that support 1.25" so I had to go with the LA chopper ones cause those were the only ones that Phat had that supported 1" round pies.

I guess I am on the right track or I am to new to get any comments from the more experienced guys.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
I went with smooth

The barons Kong Bars are 1.25 " round pipe but at the mounting area of the pipe it reduces to 1" round pipe so i had to go with risers that support 1 " instead of nicer risers that that support 1.25" so I had to go with the LA chopper ones cause those were the only ones that Phat had that supported 1" round pies.

I guess I am on the right track or I am to new to get any comments from the more experienced guys.

F*ck, I ordered the wrong risers then... :evil:

I gotta write to CruiserCustomizing and change it right away...

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Ok so here is an update.

After having a long conversation with the guys at Phat I made the big purchase. I got 16" Baron Kongs. I got the 1.5" La Chopper risers and the Barons riser adapters. Guy i talked to told me the Kongs reduce at the mount point so I was limited on the risers to 1'" risers. I also ordered +10 galfer throttle, 3 line brake, and clutch line. Think 1 did pretty good came to $575. Wish i could have gotten diffrent risers but I have been waiting to get this done for 3 weeks and it will take another 3 weeks to get the parts.

On to the question I was planning to take my bike in to a shop to get all this installed but trying to decide if i can do it my self. Im not worried to much about the wires since the work I do I deal with wires all the time, other then trying to figure out where to splice extensions in. My concern is how hard is it to dismantle the grips and install the throttle line. and how difficult is it to bleed the clutch if I can do the job in a weekend I will rather then pay some one a couple hundred to get it done. any thoughts or suggestions or ideas.

Do it yourself, the sense of accomplishment in a job well done is always worthwhile.

Take your time and have patience on hand when running the wiring and stuff. I took a bunch of pictures and made lots of notes prior to and during the removal and dis-assmebly process. I was able to find wiring in about 10 different colors, which really helps when extending and running all the wires inside the bars. Stagger your cut and solder points so the wires don't jam when running them thru the bars......and don't forget to put the shrinkwrap on before you solder (sounds silly I know...but even after years of soldering wires I forgot a few myself).

Order a set of Speed Bleeders for your brake calipers (not sure if they make one for the clutch, but you could ask?) This will make filling the lines and bleeing them a very simple process.
Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder

Removing and re-installing the throttle cables is a pretty simple job, just make notes and/or take pictures of where the cables are routed through the frame and around the motor.

I set aside a few weeks to complete the ape install on my old cruiser and only worked on it over the winter while I wasn't anxious to get out and ride. Taking my time made all the difference in the world.

Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kewl thanks I work on stuff like this at work but not with motorcycles so i think i will be alright as long as i keep from hurrying. inpatients is my worst enemy.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
kewl thanks I work on stuff like this at work but not with motorcycles so i think i will be alright as long as i keep from hurrying. inpatients is my worst enemy.
I used the 1.25 x 16 Burley bars on my 1500. I think they are very similar if not the same as the kong bars. The job is pretty straight forward, the most difficult is the wiring, but you seem to have that handled. I am a tad under 6 feet and my hands are just a bit above my shoulders, so you should come out just right. You will find yourself playing with the angle of the bars until you find the sweet spot, so don't do anything permanent until you do. I have yet to glue my left grip as I am still messing with them. Each time that you change the angle, you have to readjust your controls. The first ride, for me, was a apprehensive, but it took me about 2 blocks to be totally sold on apes. I can now ride for more that 30 minutes without my low back getting sore.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What length cables did you go with? I went with +10 from my calculations and to leave a tiny bit extra for future upgrades.

I am a new rider returning to bikes after 15 years. This is my first cruiser used to ride crotch rockets. I am good at higher speeds but am a bit shaky on strong turns and slow speeds. so I am worried about the changes. just changed my seat so getting used to that and now bars. and the next upgrade will be forward controls if i can figure out what to get not sure if i should go with 4" mapams or 6" jardines.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
What length cables did you go with? I went with +10 from my calculations and to leave a tiny bit extra for future upgrades.

I am a new rider returning to bikes after 15 years. This is my first cruiser used to ride crotch rockets. I am good at higher speeds but am a bit shaky on strong turns and slow speeds. so I am worried about the changes. just changed my seat so getting used to that and now bars. and the next upgrade will be forward controls if i can figure out what to get not sure if i should go with 4" mapams or 6" jardines.
I heard Mapam went out of business, which would be too bad. i had their forwards on my old Mean Streak and they were great.

Riding with Apes doesn't take too much getting used to. As long as they aren't way too exagerated you may find turning in some cases easier, and the stress on your back less than before. I really liked the apes on my old V2K, they felt great and my back seemed to like them as well.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I went +10.....could have gone +8 on the throttle cables

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah... my Kongs and Cables are on the way. Will be able to do the install next week end. now just need to convince my wife to let me get my fwd controls

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kong bars barenet cables are definatly the way to go. The only thing I had to learn the hard way was with that length of cable make sure u keep it oiled up. I was new to apes n went about four months no oil before my clutch cable snapped n left me stranded.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts