Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating for a while as to put on ape hangers. I dont want anything ridiculous, just want to get my hands staight out. Has anyone installed these on a 900 LT? and if so, what combination of riser/bars, did you use and how much extra cable will I need? I have seen some where that it can be done without changing cables, but it did'nt say what size riser/bar combo.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Here is my 06 900LT and I started out with 4" risers, then added mini-apes (10" rise) from a Harley Wide Glide. The clutch cable had to be re-routed to the rear of the triple tree. The brake line had to be released from some of the clips, but it all works without putting a bind on any of the lines. The amount of pull-back and rise fits my arms and shoulders just fine.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
I used 10" minis with 5" risers. its the equivalent of a 13" ape.
I went this route because it gave me the option of just the 10" with stock risers if my cables werent long enough. plus, I dont really care for the look of to much handlebar.
I did re-route the cables, and in these pics still had the stock clutch cable on, but ended up changing that out with a 4" over. im 5' 10" and this setup puts my hands at shoulder level, if not slightly above, depending on how I sit.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
yes, just the clutch cable was the only one replaced. the others were all re-routed behind the top tree. you can see the clutch cable in the pics was long enough, but barely. i didnt want to risk it breaking.
the handlebars are Flanders A2 mini-apes. the risers I got here:
Chrome BILLET 5" Solid Risers Set for Harley Big Twin & XL Sportster - www.debrix.com
they use a 1/2 mounting bolt, so I had to drill out the top tree, but i was glad to do that, the stock bolts are just 10mm.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great bike I just bought the exact same one only my is a 2006 with only 4000 miles on it and in showroom condition.
Being tall has it's advantages, I am short only 5' 6" and am having lost of issues getting use to the bike. I don't care for the handle bars and had asked if anyone changed out the handlebars for bull back bars that came back further and were narrower. I had talked to a Harley mechanic and he said that changing the handlebars to one that were a lot narrower might effect the displacement of the bike when turning or doing U turns. No replies as of yet. I think I need the seat lowered about an inch since I find it a stretch for the rear brake and not use to floorboards so reaching for the ground is different.
I had a Suzuki Intruder 750 prior to this bike and I liked a lot unfortunately it cough on fire one day as I was riding down the road.
So the Vulcan is a step of in comparison with cc's and weight.
What is the size of your saddlebags? I took a pair of 15" bags and held them up the the back fender and the seemed to be very small. Unlike my Suzuki which was more of a sport bike 15" fit just right. I did not get a manual with the bike so I have to check one out.
Also with my Suzuki there was knob for the gas shut off and switch over to reserve.
The Vulcan has no such knob that I could see so how do you switch over to reserve or is this even a feature the bike has?
Any advise would be helpful
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Great bike I just bought the exact same one only my is a 2006 with only 4000 miles on it and in showroom condition.
Being tall has it's advantages, I am short only 5' 6" and am having lost of issues getting use to the bike. I don't care for the handle bars and had asked if anyone changed out the handlebars for bull back bars that came back further and were narrower. I had talked to a Harley mechanic and he said that changing the handlebars to one that were a lot narrower might effect the displacement of the bike when turning or doing U turns. No replies as of yet. I think I need the seat lowered about an inch since I find it a stretch for the rear brake and not use to floorboards so reaching for the ground is different.
I had a Suzuki Intruder 750 prior to this bike and I liked a lot unfortunately it cough on fire one day as I was riding down the road.
So the Vulcan is a step of in comparison with cc's and weight.
What is the size of your saddlebags? I took a pair of 15" bags and held them up the the back fender and the seemed to be very small. Unlike my Suzuki which was more of a sport bike 15" fit just right. I did not get a manual with the bike so I have to check one out.
Also with my Suzuki there was knob for the gas shut off and switch over to reserve.
The Vulcan has no such knob that I could see so how do you switch over to reserve or is this even a feature the bike has?
Thanks.
The Intruder is a narrow bike so it feels like its easier to handle, also since the seat is narrow you can actually plant both feet on the ground. You can always lower the rear on the VN900 to make it easier on yourself.

Look about halfway down this page... Scootworks - Kawasaki Lowering Kits and Suspension Accessories

As for the handlebars, find some that have the pullback you want and **** on what the Harley mechanic said.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
Thanks.
the bags are what saddleman calls a "large", althugh I'd call them a med. they are smaller than most you see, but thats what I was after. dont really care for the look of monster bags. and i really dont need a whole lot of storage space.
as for the a reserve, the 900 is EFI, so there is no reserve. just watch the gas gauge :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.