Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that I've gone ahead and put the bike up for the year, I decided to jump into the Apes. I replaced the stock bar with a 16" ape-hanger, internally ran all of the electrical, and added heat-demon grip warmers.

It took a bit longer than expected, but the finished product looks great! I love the grip warmers, and how integrated they are. It's 30 degrees here right now, so I took it around the block once, and I think I'm really gonna like the big bars.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
**** work filter! :mad: Can't wait to see the pics when I get home. This has been on my to-do list for awhile!

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
Looks great! I really like the braided cables as well. So, how long did it take to do?:p

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
2 thumbs up! Apes are the best.

Here's is an el-cheapo tip. Run by the local Autozone and pick up some chrome spark plug wire sererators....I think they are for import tuners. They worked great on my cables.....and they are only around ten bucks.

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great! I really like the braided cables as well. So, how long did it take to do?
I spent about 6 hours yesterday and had all but the heat-demon wiring, and brake bleed done. I didn't have the attention span to finish it last night, but the remaining wiring was much easier than i thought. Spent about an hour today. The most tedious part is definitely the wiring, but if you keep it organized, it's not too bad.

There were a couple of other quirks, mostly with the aftermarket cables. Like the clutch cable not being threaded to go into the lever, so I had to drill out the threads to make it fit. But it's a bit cleaner looking because the adjustments are all made downline on the cable.

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
That doesn't seem like a long time, especially if it's your first time. You did a real nice job. I'll head on over to Ohio when it's time for my apes.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
217 Posts
You will need to slightly adjust the pitch in the bars to find your "sweet spot" when you actually start riding for an hour or more. You will discover that too far forward, and your fingers will start to go numb. If the bars are too far back towards you, you will find yourself pulling on the bars to keep yourself upright.

Have fun, they are a blast!

See Ya,

Tony

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man the lack of wiring is really great! I love the clean look.
Me too! I kinda like the look of the braided cables, but a fully integrated bar would be awesome. I wish there was a way to relocate the master cylinder too.

You will need to slightly adjust the pitch in the bars to find your "sweet spot" when you actually start riding for an hour or more. You will discover that too far forward, and your fingers will start to go numb. If the bars are too far back towards you, you will find yourself pulling on the bars to keep yourself upright.

Yeah, I've found that all bikes feel differently sitting still rather than moving. I'm already pretty sure they need to come back an in or two. I took it for a very very short ride this afternoon (like a tenth of a mile!), as it's a bit cold here, but I really like the feel going around the turns. I'm pretty happy with the way it all turned out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts