Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking ubout upgrading to a new bike and am by nature a very methodical creature always doing my research and have thus never ended up making a purchase that I was not happy with.

Thus I am going to start a couple of threads w/questions....this'll be #1.

I currently have a 1500 Classic that I love to death, it is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned in my greater than a half a century on this earth and I have owned many.

My bike fits me well for my height of 5' 6 and 9/16ths", I have an F&S screen and lowers and have no buffetting issues, would a properly sized set of apes increase my riding comfort to any degree?

There appears to be many myths to this and I am interested in hearing opinions of riders that have gone to apes.

I am only interested if they will improve the level of comfort that I already have, this is not a "bling mod", I am satisfied w/the look of my bike and thus if I keep it the only mods now will be for increased comfort.

These couple of threads will hopefully help me decide whether I really want a new bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
this is from experience with a 73 Harley superglide, with a corbin touring seat.

apes can be the most comfortable handlebars, it depends on alot of things, proper sizing, & angles, but 1 to 2 inches below shoulders, with elbows bent some, & you will find you can be completely relaxed.

most guys that run apes stand them straight up for looks, I do not recomend doing that, but adjust them toward the rider until you find the perfect comfort level,

also it may take you swapping on several sets of bars, for instance you try a set of 10 or 12's & when pulled back they are too low, but when up are a little forward, risers can help compensate for that some by swapping out different height risers. then you may try a set of 14's, 15's, 16's, 18's, not sure if they make a 17"? I went with 16 inch apes pulled back quite a bit, & was completely comfortable, & relaxed while riding. I did many 600 to 800+ mile rides & was never tired & sore from the "ride"

also some bars are knurled where they go into the risers so they wont slip, most are not. some bikers like the non knurled as when they got pulled they would just pull bars with a hard pull & be "legal" as for height above the seat, but thats with 21" to 25" & even 31 inch, & when I was working at a independent shop run by a patch holder, I test drove many custom old harleys with handlebars that would would pull back when you accelerated & would go forward when you hit the brakes. we would have to either replace risers, shave the risers to close up the gap, add shims, or drill depending on what customer wanted, many guys used electrical tape to try to keep bars from slipping.

a knurled bar is the best for not moving, but it is the hardest to get sitting exactly correct, as every time you adjust you have to lift the risers then move bars, then tighten, as it wont budge, where on non knurled all you do is loosen the riser & slightly move bars & tighten.

if pics are requested I will see if I can find & upload.

a guy 20 miles away had a shop that closed down 2 or 3 years ago & was building a Kawasaki ninja 600 with a suicide clutch, hand shift, raked neck, extended front, with forward controls & 18 inch ape hangers. it was in mock up stage last time I was in there, not sure what happened but I would have loved to seen it completed. & tried to talk him into letting me take it for a spin.

Later,
Randy

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL.......I can see where this might go....I tend to overstate my questions

Allow me to rephrase it.

Do you have apes?

Have they improved your comfort level?

If you did it for looks only and then discovered they were better, that's OK too.:mrgreen:

Thx RFB....

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
kps hit it on the nose.........but let me ad one more thing. Only get opinions from those that have ridden with apes. Too many non ape riders are recycling old myths and most are simply not true. Ask one who knows. I will give up my apes when the pry my cold dead fingers off the grips.

·
Registered
125 Posts
bobg replied about this & edited his post, I hope this helps.

some states have handlebar height laws concerning how high above the seat, your bars can be, funny how something that can improve comfort & safety, can be illegal!

but the reason laws were passed was because a few bikers ruined it for everyone, with super tall bars, when your arms are above your shoulders you lose feelings in your arms & your hands get numb, & you cant control the bike. so legislators decided in some areas, what was a good legal height.

just check with your state police to see how high bars can be above the seat height. I posed a few days ago in another ape coluum about a friend that ran without a seat with tall apes so he couldn't get a ticket.

but with apes be conservative, a mild rise ape bar will normally be legal & even when I ran tall apes, I never once got a ticket, but I know of others not as lucky. & with my 16s, I never measured but they were probably illegal? but I toured extensively with them in total comfort! but from what I heard police dont bother you fro bar height when hands are below shoulders.

hmm when police start pulling for harrasment to see if they can give you a ticket, they know they can be charged with harrasment so they leave you alone unless they know they got you. a friend gets pulled all the time for his lowered car, but it isnt lowered, he just custom made his ground effects kit & he wont stand up to the police, but he doesnt get tickets, because his car is stock height, but he needs to bring a camera, & take pics of the cop, make notes, & file reports. but he made his car look lower, so the cop thinks they got him....

on Harleys alot of guys run drag bars with welded risers, they are completely legal & EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!! I personally broke 2 sets of bars, where the welds will crack on them & have been on the band wagon for years telling how dangerous they are & I have heard of quite a few deaths to bars braking off & the biker losing control. on mine 1 set broke 1 bar off of 1 side, & I figured it was a fluke, so I bought a replacement set identical & within 40,000 miles, both risers were breaking away from the bars & I went with apes from that day & never looked back, plus started talking with a lot of shops to see what their experiences were with welded drag bars & all say they have seen some break.

hmmmmm legal bars thats dangerous, possibly illegal bars comfortable & safe. then trying to find a happy medium.....

best of luck & do try the apes. & is you see any biker on a Harley with reasonable height handlebars, just go ask, & you can always ask to sit on to see what you think, some will say ok.

best thing to do at this point is look for an independent bike shop that specializes in working on Harleys & go in & ask owner that your considering apes & if there is a bike with reasonable height apes that you may sit on to see what you think.

Later, & good luck, & if your interested in pics of why I rode I will find, plus I some bad examples of like 40+ inch apes on my puter, funniest pic is a guy on a scooter standing on floor boars stretching to reach the bars, probably 4 foot bars.

Randy

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx....KPS, that's what I'm looking for.

I'm not interested in anything outrageous, I definately don't want em' over the height of my windshield....:eek: 8)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Anything in excess is a bad thing..............apes, politics, religion, drinking, women..........well, maybe not the last two.

·
Registered
125 Posts
attached is a pic of the scooter.... its a reason laws are passed.I have quite a few stupid ape hanger pics with super tall stuff.

the purple bike is my superglide, & that configuration traveled into over 30 states. motor is tore apart on the bike but I still have it & its similiar to that pic as it was always changing slightly when necessary. but was comfortable as a bike could ever be. but the motor was a hot rod motor. to read about it read the how old are you & what bike do you ride forum on page 78 as I mention it & how radical the motor was, along with my new to me Kawasaki 96 GPZ1100

I could only find 4 pics of the superglide, tried to post one of the better pics.

Later,
Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bloodcirculation

Maybe I'm lacking some biological knowledge, but..
There is something I don't get with ape-stories.
If your hands/arms would be over your shoulders, the bloodcirculation would be much less.
The feeling in your hands and fingers would go numb..
Why is that?
It's not going on way..it's an enclosed bloodcircuit right?
Whatever the position of your arms, what goes up must go down again and vice versa in any position...I would think..

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Maybe I'm lacking some biological knowledge, but..
There is something I don't get with ape-stories.
If your hands/arms would be over your shoulders, the bloodcirculation would be much less.
The feeling in your hands and fingers would go numb..
Why is that?
It's not going on way..it's an enclosed bloodcircuit right?
Whatever the position of your arms, what goes up must go down again and vice versa in any position...I would think..
Try standing on your head for an hour and then report back to us... :roll:

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Try standing on your head for an hour and then report back to us... :roll:
I first went to 12" apes and loved them much more than my factory bars. The following year I had opportunitys to ride 2 harleys and Kawi with 16" bars on two of them, and 18" on the third. I was sceptical of the hands going to sleep too, and talked to lots of riders with apes and they all told me they didn't experence that. Also, the three bikes I rode were surpriseingly comfortable without any problems. Last fall, I had 18" Burly bars installed, and the following week took a 700 mile ride over the weekend with them to Walker Minn. and loved them. This July I have a trip scheduled to Gilbert SC to visit my sister and brother-in-law on the bike. This trip will be 1,800 miles each way, and I will pass thru 9 states, and I have no concern with the bars , but I will have tools to bring them towards me in the states I have to worry about.
Sorry, but if my hands got numb, they would be off the bike in a heart beat!

Attachments

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
Look, it's a known medical fact that if ya don't raise your arms UP when you ride, you start to sweat. If ya start to sweat, you start to get real stinky. If ya get real stinky, all the Low & Fat "Ground Pounding" in the world still ain't gonna get you laid so FIGURE IT OUT. Apes are here for a reason - they keep your pits dry and then you get the babes. Besides, anyone who's done any real highway time knows that one hand up in the air and one hand on the knee of your passenger is the only riding position approved by the CRA (Chopper Riders of America). :biggrin:

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Look, it's a known medical fact that if ya don't raise your arms UP when you ride, you start to sweat. If ya start to sweat, you start to get real stinky. If ya get real stinky, all the Low & Fat "Ground Pounding" in the world still ain't gonna get you laid so FIGURE IT OUT. Apes are here for a reason - they keep your pits dry and then you get the babes. Besides, anyone who's done any real highway time knows that one hand up in the air and one hand on the knee of your passenger is the only riding position approved by the CRA (Chopper Riders of America). :biggrin:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It's all true.......all of it. Apes cause the blood to run out of your arms and they go numb and you crash and die.........................Apes make the bike unstable in a turn and you crash and die..........Apes on a bike make low speed stability very........ah............unstable and you crash and die. Apes cause gingivitis and ED.........then you crash and die. Cops will pull you over daily.....maybe even hourly. Apes make your bike louder. If you are lucky enough to live with apes on your bike, you will at least poke your eye out. If you run apes "and" visit the darkside........well.........you are just asking for it..........begging.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
It's all true.......all of it. Apes cause the blood to run out of your arms and they go numb and you crash and die.........................Apes make the bike unstable in a turn and you crash and die..........Apes on a bike make low speed stability very........ah............unstable and you crash and die. Apes cause gingivitis and ED.........then you crash and die. Cops will pull you over daily.....maybe even hourly. Apes make your bike louder. If you are lucky enough to live with apes on your bike, you will at least poke your eye out. If you run apes "and" visit the darkside........well.........you are just asking for it..........begging.
That's absolutely right, thank god we got that off our shoulders before any of you other bikers get them installed and crash and burn! Wooaoa! close call......... :shock:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have Barron Kong apes on mine n I can't imagine riding a motorcycle without them. It increases the comfort of your ride a lot n allows me to ride for longer without getting tired. I a. 6'2" tho and these are 17 in apes. I would definatly sugest getting apes but I would try something 12 to 14 inches in ur case.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I think Greg in HD has 18's and is about your height....correct me if I am wrong. I think his look pretty awesome. I am a shade (like 1/2") under 6 foot and my 16's are at my shoulders if I sit up straight. bassch2 is right, 14's may be about right.................................................but, keep this in mind. A lot will have to do with the angle of the bars. I had mine at the same angle as the forks at first and they were well below my shoulders........if I put them straight up they are definitely above my shoulders. Keep that in mind, be careful and don't poke your eye out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
here are the 16's on the shovel, you can see the swinging low, & high when turning. yes when you get on bike you could hit your eye very easily. as you can see thats only a slight turn. & the bars were tilted back for comfort. compare pics to the other with my front end pointing relatively straight.

Later,
Randy

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts