Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I found the Kawasaki.com site near worthless. I went in it, selected a bunch of stuff to order, and when I tried to check out I found out the only things you can buy online are the manuals. For everything else they refer you to your local dealer. That does me no good because the local dealers don't really seem to carry much stuff. Instead they tell you they can order it from you, and then charge you prices that are higher than those in the website.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I don't know why, but the metric dealers don't seem to see the sales potential for apparel. HD makes a killing selling the same T shirt with different dealers' names on the back. It seems like found money to me.:confused:

·
Patriot Guard Rider
967 Posts
I don't know why, but the metric dealers don't seem to see the sales potential for apparel. HD makes a killing selling the same T shirt with different dealers' names on the back. It seems like found money to me.:confused:
Ain't it the truth. Went down to Charleston last week and saw a HD store near the market and decided to get my daughters fiance a HD shirt since he has a V-Rod. I wound up buying my son and my son-in-law one as well. They had probably 30 or more designs with the Low Country dealership logo, not to mention all the other merchandise. He tries to get a shirt from every location that he travels to......duhhhhh, me thinks the metric companies might could benefit from this market as well.

Charles

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I read somewhere, that over 60% of HD revenues comes from accessories and apparel, not from the sale of their bikes. They apparently have one heck of a marketing department. Gotta admit, they do have some great looking t-shirts.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I read somewhere, that over 60% of HD revenues comes from accessories and apparel, not from the sale of their bikes. They apparently have one heck of a marketing department. Gotta admit, they do have some great looking t-shirts.
Don't you know it. The annoying thing about the metrics is they have so many platforms they could market to. OK, so HD has the cruisers market pretty much locked up, but metrics have sport bikes, dual sport, and dirt all to themselves and are doing squat with it.

It's so frustrating that I have found such a nice bike in the 900 Classic, and my leather has an HD logo on it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I think the dealers should give you this stuff. Why does anyone want to walk around as an unpaid advertisement? :eek:

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Maybe there's so much more HD paraphernalia available to the public because of the near cult worship pride of ownership that many Harley owners have. It seems that if you're willing to pay twice as much as a bike is worth, you're also willing to pay twice as much to advertise it to the world as well. :evil:

Anyway, that's my sour grapes explanation! :mrgreen:

·
2007 VN900 LT
144 Posts
Have you seen the new H-D Christmas commercials with a "Bad" Santa in black being pulled by a team of Harleys? And he was going done the "naughty" list giving out presents.

Now THAT'S Marketing! Gotta give them credit......

While we deal twiddle H-D is doing commercials that make every Man, woman & child want to wear and ride Harley to be "cool".

I'll stick with my pocket protecters just to make a counter-point!

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
It has been a belief among some, that the foreign bikes saved on advertising and apparel and put the money back into the bikes themselves. Personally, I would rather have a bike that has a proven performance and maintenance record than a t-shirt or license plate or rear window decal. I am not bashing HD, I used to have one, but as I've gotten older and maybe wiser, it has gotten to be more important to have reliabilty and performance.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I think the dealers should give you this stuff. Why does anyone want to walk around as an unpaid advertisement? :eek:
I've always wondered the same thing with regard to cars. Why do we keep all the Lexus or Merecedes badges on our cars along with the HD logo on a sticker in the back window?

Can you say STATUS SYMBOL? I knew you could! :(

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Maybe there's so much more HD paraphernalia available to the public because of the near cult worship pride of ownership that many Harley owners have. It seems that if you're willing to pay twice as much as a bike is worth, you're also willing to pay twice as much to advertise it to the world as well. :evil:

Anyway, that's my sour grapes explanation! :mrgreen:
I agree Giv...I have (or should I say "had") a few HD friends that recently stopped riding with us because apparently they only ride with other HD riders. Can you believe that!!! Talk about stupid mind games and cult-like behavior!!!! GEEESH!!! :mad:

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
I agree Giv...I have (or should I say "had") a few HD friends that recently stopped riding with us because apparently they only ride with other HD riders. Can you believe that!!! Talk about stupid mind games and cult-like behavior!!!! GEEESH!!! :mad:
If I could only convince my boss that the reason I'm late every morning is that I can only ride around other Kawi's.... hmmmmmm this may be a million dollar idea!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts