Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Muzzy is not only a good brand, but a Great brand. As far as installation goes, if you have a good ratchet set, wrenches and you manual to take the parts of your bike off you should be fine.

You probably will have to take off the lower cowl, radiator and maybe oil cooler. Others that have the bike can be more specific.

Disassemble the bolts holding your cans in place and then the bolts holding your header and there you have it.

It's a couple of hours worth of work unless you have taken your bike apart before. Plan an afternnoon to do it in.

PS. Don't forget to get new exhaust gaskets. Order those now.

Call Beartooth and they can get you some money saved off the 378 price

800-556-3098.

·
Registered
31 Posts
muzzy is tight!!! i have that on my 500r too....the sound is to die for...as for installation..it was a perfect fit so i had to work around it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would have to say no...

I myself have just returned mine because I was very unhappy with the resaults. Basically it looked great, but performance loss was very noticable. Flat spots, alot of backfire. I would recommend keeping the stock pipes. If you wanna do things to your bike I would suggest better tires, upgrade to ss brake lines, new pads. You will enjoy those modz much more and it will give you things you need to become a better rider.

better braking/traction!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
younggotti ur post didnt really make sense what do u mean by it?

johnd0e did u get a replacement muffler yet if so what did u get?? also do u think it was a bad part or just doesnt do good on the 500r??

i love everything about the bike the way it is but i just wanna have more of a "sportbike sound" so all im looking at is the muffler. also anyone know where i can find more sounds of mufflers??? i looove hearing them! :D

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
VStrom said:
younggotti ur post didnt really make sense what do u mean by it?

johnd0e did u get a replacement muffler yet if so what did u get?? also do u think it was a bad part or just doesnt do good on the 500r??

i love everything about the bike the way it is but i just wanna have more of a "sportbike sound" so all im looking at is the muffler. also anyone know where i can find more sounds of mufflers??? i looove hearing them! :D
Some issues that you can encounter when doing a pipe upgrade is work. Some people will work the system for 5 minutes and throw their hands up and others will go the distance. Before I upgraded my pipe I asked the people who manufacturered the parts specific questions that I wanted answered.

On some bikes, flatsports are inevitable and requirre a change in cam to fix 100%. Talk to the tuners in your town. Lot of times if you take the bike to a professional and have it tuned to the parts you have installed it will run differently. Different jet size, needle height, needle profile, springs and pilot setting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i helped my friend put on on his bike a few months back, it was a very very tight fit, required cutting of the buttom cowling, plus removal of his center stand....the sound is awesome, but there are tons of flat spots as someone else mentioned, a jet kit was installed and that improved it signficantly and the spots disappeared...power increase was about 8.5hp peak power increase...noticeable on a bike that only puts out around 50hp...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 1st bike was a Ninja 250r, I put muzzy pipes and jetted both carbs. It sounded SWEET and run great.

I love muzzy pipes

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 00 500R w/muzzy exahust. it does have one noticable flat spot, but other than that I love it - the extra power and sound is more than worth it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think so

go with the sarachu pipes,you get the bomb ass sound-really deep and loud -the increase in hp and a much better look for the bike-and at 250 it won't hurt ya quite as bad on the pockets-check out my ppics in the post i made about them

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: i think so

djprocinc said:
go with the sarachu pipes,you get the bomb ass sound-really deep and loud -the increase in hp and a much better look for the bike-and at 250 it won't hurt ya quite as bad on the pockets
DITTO! :D

I just got my Sarachu slip-ons yesterday for my '05 Ninja 500. WOW!!! All I can say is that they are awesome... great price, great looks, and great sound. Those two slip-on cannisters have unleashed the beast in the little 500R! :mrgreen:

Jason

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Pips or slip ons

Complete pipes and a new gasket is the right way to go. If you are trying to save some cash you could just put on a slip-on. You may have to change the carb settings, which means drilling/removing the adjustment screw to adjust it...should be done with your Service manual...if you can afford the entire system tehn that would be the correct way to do it. Changing the jetting is not that difficult to do...going to a shop that does the work that has a dyno would be the best part if you installed the pipes yourself...all they would do is redo the jetting and adjust the carbs...You may have to shave off/cut part of your bottom fairing to make the pipe clear make it a 1/4" clearance so that it doesn't melt anything. DEFINATELY worth the price. You can slap crap on your bike or you can get the real stuff..go for the KNOWN GOOD Products and you will be happier...IF you are going to do the pipe then consider changing the airfilter to K&N or even going to air pods. Air Pods replace the airbox...you will definately need to rejet and adjust the carbs doing thes but your bike will run COMPLETELY different and have a seriously noticable increase in power. Get back to us and let us know what you do, and how it feels...same thread...this one...

·
Registered
99 Posts
My question is why in the hell doesnt Kawasaki just put a better muffler on the bike in the first place if it can squeeze even more power out of these bikes?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
COST factors

Have you seen a ZX-6R or RR, or any of the power bikes...they do. Not so with the beginner bikes or the less expensive bikes. Some people will never be able to fully use their 250R to it's full potential without getting in over their head. They may ride a H-D Soft-tail, but they can't ride a sport bike. It takes confidence and it takes practice and ther is a learning curve some people just can't get into. Riding on a track having your thigh on the seat, your butt hanging over the pavement because you are going through a Z-curve at warp speed, carrying all that you can through it...some guys aren't into full bore racing and will never know how to properly brake, set the suspension for a corner...some people can't figure out what an apex is or even what one is used for...street racing is flat out stupid...because innocents can be hurt in the process, besides it's against the law. The track is the place to hone your skills. You can play some on the roads, but knowing your limits is what most people disreguard. the bike will keep on going and may have some limitations, but the rider just doesn't know how to use the tool properly. My step-son broke a garden hoe handle, twice! He can do Trig, Calc, and beats some great games on his computer...but he can't manage a hoe or a weed eater. He even managed to break a jackshaft off of a 48" mower and NOT notice it...it just wasn't cutting a wide path anymore...gees. No some people, like my step-son could NEVER get the full potential out of a Ninja 250R. I'm not picking onhim, just stating a fact. He's just not good at some things. You can soup up a Ninja 250R doing many things. Sticky tires, better flowing...gas, air, better aerodynamics, shedding lots of weight (exhaust system, center stand, even shaving off some of the rear fender, getting a wider fairing, a taller windscreen, lowering the bars, lowering the seat, getting rearsets, changing the suspension, even getting lighter wheels...getting real serious getting rid of a starter and having a smaler batttery, losing the headlight, all lights...then you eventually end up with a race bike...so ther has to be comprimazes...Semi-Flush mount LED turn signals, front and rear, using LED's instead of lamps, having a hardened aluminum instead of steel kickstand replacing steel with titanium and aluminum and plastics with carbon fiber...Steel pegs with aluminum ones, you can also get into changing camshafts, truing your crankshaft, going to titanium valves, titanium valve springs, and shims, lightening your parts that have to rotate...Kawasaki has done some things with the new 2005 ZX-6R and RR's that you need to read to understand what can be done...they have even gone to underseat exhaust nad muffler out teh underside to reduce Parasitic air drag...yep just like holding your hand out the window of a car at 70MPH the muffler(s) do the same thing robbing the motorcycle of power... I'm not sorry fo rgetting on a soapbox here it is near and dear to my heart...I plan on building a Ninja 250R without junk (no nitrous) or expensive stuff that will blow Ninja 500R stock machines away. It's not that hard to do if you seriously think about what you would need to do. it's just a lot of attention to massive amounts of small detail...Logging an drecording all of the details will not only be a great chore but a happy one as well. Getting to a dyno in the beginning and seeing the numbers increase will be great. I do NOT intend in boring the bike out to get more cc's. I may have the cylinder, and piston electronically treated as well as other parts of the bike. I do plan on running 17" wheels and 55 series tires...I want to build the lightest most powerful canyon carver that I can afford...Too (also) I want a semi-stock daily rider that I can just knock around with. a 500R, a 250R, older ZX7,,,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts