Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Biker Girl
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Arai and Shoei helmets are $200-300+

I have a snell cert. HJC, it was pink, painted it blue, and now looks a little goofy. I've always wanted a good helmet, but wondered if the extra $150+ is really worth it?

What the difference between the HJC full face and a Shoei or Arai full face??

·
Waiting for his bike.
157 Posts
No personal experience, but from what I've heard, the more expensive compositions are stronger and lighter...

I saw a rule of thumb that basically went: Anything up to 250-300 is primarily protection, 250-450 is fit/comfort, anything above that is mostly decals.

Mind you, that's 2nd-hand info, so if anyone wants to pull me up, fair goes.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
For safety, there's really no difference.

For comfort, higher priced helmets are often lighter, have better ventilation and are quieter.

The question is, how much is the additional comfort worth? In my case, my HJC is a real value. It feels great on my head and isn't very noisy - and 1/3 of the price of a Shoei or Arai.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
some are lighter.... some are prestige and ego

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
part of their higher cost is their name. part of their higher cost is their higher quality of construction but in the end, they all have to meet the same DOT requirements. some go further and meet SNELL requirements. there is ongoing discussions about how much further SNELL goes to DOT, there is a thread on this forum somewhere on that topic. In the end it comes to a personal choice, how much is your head worth?

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
The main difference that I found with the Shoei is the fit and ventilation. It's the only helmet I've found in more than 35 years that doesn't give me a headache from pressure points on the forehead and back of the skull or turns into a parachute trying to pull my head off at 75mph. It's worth more than the $300 it cost to be able to ride all day and not have a painful red patch on my forehead and chaffed chin at the end of it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
isn't there some helmets that cover certain European standards on top of the other two? I had a AGV i think it was that i got with those standards but i ended up giving it to my dad cause my head was too big.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
In the end it comes to a personal choice, how much is your head worth?
I disagree.

It's about what personal comfort and style are worth.

A cheap helmet that meets the safety standards will save your life as easily and an expensive one. However, the fit and finish won't be as good as something higher priced. It might not be as quiet or as light. It might not vent as well in the heat. A cheap helmet might be a real pain to switch visors. A more expensive helmet might have a built in sun visor.

I can buy a Ford Expedition or a Lincoln Navigator. Both meet the same crash standards. However, the Lincoln comes with all kinds of nice comfort extras (like adjustable foot pedals) you can't get on the Expedition.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
isn't there some helmets that cover certain European standards on top of the other two? I had a AGV i think it was that i got with those standards but i ended up giving it to my dad cause my head was too big.
Some might meet those standards because they are also sold there, but you likely won't see the certification on models sold here because they aren't recognized standards here.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Get what fits your head best, then worry about prices and names.

I've had lots of helmets over the years, and yes, the higher prices of the Shoei's and Aria's definitely get you better fit and finish in most cases. Nice lids to be sure. But at $500+ now-a-days, it's hard to justify. Especially when you can get a higher end HJC, Scorpion, or such for half the price.

I love my Scorpion, and feel it's a very close second to the higher priced lids. It is a tad heavier and noisier, but not by much.

Some things that make some helmets more expensive than others:
Shell material. Polycarbonate (essentially plastic - don't let that scare you though) can be machine formed - Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber has to be laid by hand, so it costs more to manufacture.

Graphics add price. It's real easy to spray a solid color. Wild paint schemes add to the cost. Get a 'replica' helmet of you favorite rider, and they have to pay royalties as well.

The more the venting, or at least the better 'engineered' it is will cost you.

Name, name, name.... Since they have become the standard that all other helmets are compared to, Shoei, Arai, and even Suomy can command a higher price.

There are lots of other factors, but you get the idea. In my opinion, as long as your buying at least a "mid-level" helmet from any of the reputable brands, your not compromising anything in safety. There are lots of nice lids in the $200-300 range, without having to spend on a Shoei.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've heard people say "If you've got a $10 head get a ten dollar helmet, if you have a $200.00 head get a $200 helmet.

I know no help at all sorry.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
as long as a helmet is DOT or Snell approved (or both!) it doesnt matter if it cost 50 dollars or 1500 dollars. theyll protect virtually the same. the cost comes down to materials, design, and name. do you want plastic or carbon fiber? youll pay more for the carbon, and it will be lighter, but is it worth that much more for a "trick" helmet? how about ease of shield replacement? my Icon cost 250 bucks and with a couple clicks i can replace the shield in no time.

what about looks? do you care if its a monotone or multicolored? doesnt do a thing for safety, except being more visible (just choose a bright color).

one of the only things i could use to justify buying a really high priced helmet would be a fully removable liner, and in some cases, like with Arai's i know for sure, you can get several different pads to get an exact fit.

and my last point...FIT is the most important element. if a $99 helmet fits you the best, that one will probably be the best.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
My opinion I think scorpion is the best bang for the buck, very comparablt to the` shoie's, arai's... for FF... for a modular helmet nolan, or hjc...

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
the thing is, more venting means a nosier helmet......but a cooler head

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
...youll pay more for the carbon, and it will be lighter, but is it worth that much more for a "trick" helmet? how about ease of shield replacement? my Icon cost 250 bucks and with a couple clicks i can replace the shield in no time...

...one of the only things i could use to justify buying a really high priced helmet would be a fully removable liner, and in some cases, like with Arai's i know for sure, you can get several different pads to get an exact fit...
Something else to keep in mind is how much you'll be wearing the helmet. If you ride once or twice a week, in 30-60 minute stints, your not going to be as concerned with creature comforts as someone who rides every day, or does lots of long distance.

A lighter, more comfortable, better vented, quieter lid IS worth the money if your head is often inside it for long periods of time. Ten hours inside a $99 G-Max is a lot different that 10 hours in a $500 Shoei.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Something else to keep in mind is how much you'll be wearing the helmet. If you ride once or twice a week, in 30-60 minute stints, your not going to be as concerned with creature comforts as someone who rides every day, or does lots of long distance.

A lighter, more comfortable, better vented, quieter lid IS worth the money if your head is often inside it for long periods of time. Ten hours inside a $99 G-Max is a lot different that 10 hours in a $500 Shoei.
+1

·
Registered
3,441 Posts

thats why you should go to a dealer and try out helmets , walk arouind with them on for awhile to tell if there are any pressure ponts that begin to hurt.. I wore my brothers helmet once, at first it seemed fine...An hour later, my temples were killing me...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went to a local CycleGear store to get my helmet and after trying on 10-15 helmets, only the Arai Profile fit right (i have a long oval head shape). With adjustable padding in a less expensive make/style I might have been able to achieved close to the same comfort. My point is I felt limited to helmets that fit my head well, which happened to be Arai.

Another point that I wanted to make is that characteristics that seem like nice to have luxuries may actually impact safety indirectly. It's about more than just impact safety. If a given helmet affects your sight, gives you headaches, fogs up because of bad ventilation, gives you neck strain, ear strain, etc then it is affecting your overall safety through distraction. Whatever helmet works, I'd recommend trying to maximize your impact protection and attention to riding.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts