Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy group,
I just received my used SW front pulley and proceeded with instalation this afternoon. On the rear wheel pulley belt runs perfect between the walls but can't seem to line up the belt on the front pulley. The belt is leaning way to far towards the engine, pretty much is slightly over the edge of the end of the pulley. The marks on the tenssioner before the instal were right at three marks and now after the install is right about two marks.

What do I need to adjust to bring the belt back to it's original position towards the outside of the new front pulley?? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I installed mine and I'm with pat0021.

My belt was just a hair from the outside rim on the rear and is there now. It kinda follows that moving it from the middle to the left on the rear will move it away from the engine on the front.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
loosen the belt side or tighten the brake side a tad to get the belt to the outter pully flange on the rear pully

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Loosen the axle, unlock the adjusters, and then jack the bike up where the rear tire is a couple of inches off the ground.

Loosen the pulley side a full turn, then spin the wheel several times in the direction that it will rotate when riding while watching the belt. You should see the belt walk towards the outer lip of the rear pulley. Continue the process: careful adjustment (either side as needed), spin/watch, careful adjustment, spin/watch… until you have BOTH the correct belt tension and alignment.

Tension should not be too loose, but not as tight as a bow string either. Tension should be checked at a few different locations on the belt (check, spin, check, spin, check…).

Correct alignment will put the belt just a hair (width of a piece of paper) off the outer lip of the rear pulley. Tension should also be checked at a few different locations (check, spin, check, spin, check…).

The alignment of the belt on the front pulley should track accordingly.

I have found the tick marks on the adjusters to be accurate. Others have reported that they are way off. You will have to determine whether yours are right or not.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Follow Vulcan's instructions, I usually use the belt side adjuster to get tension correct then adjust runout with the exhaust side tensioner, but whatever you do to get it right. Mines setup so that if I get into dust or the bike just gets dirty it will start to make that rubbing sound of the belt against the pulley. I actually thought I had it just a little farther away than that but found out about two weeks later. I haven't gotten to adjustment period yet or I'd fix it, but it's not harming anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts