Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

ATV Recall

58K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  n0ukf 
#1 ·
CPSC, Kawasaki Motors Corp. U.S.A. Announce Recall of ATVs
Tuesday August 2, 8:14 am ET

WASHINGTON, Aug. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. (To access color photos of the following recalled products, see CPSC's Web site at http://www.cpsc.gov.)

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030904/USCSCLOGO )

Name of product: Kawasaki Model Year 2001-2005 Prairie and Brute Force
All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

Units: About 155,000

Distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp. U.S.A., of Irvine, Calif.

Hazard: A significant impact to the front wheel of the ATV while the
steering is fully turned to either side can result in suspension damage,
wear, and an eventual loss of steering control that could result in
injury or death. Note: Kawasaki previously recalled the Prairie 700 4x4
in March 2005 because the age recommendation warning label was missing.

Incidents/Injuries: Kawasaki has received 42 reports of ball joint
separation which could result in loss of steering control. Three injuries
have been reported.

Description: The recall includes 2001 through 2005 Prairie and Brute
Force Kawasaki ATVs. The following Kawasaki ATV models are included in
this recall: Prairie 300, Prairie 300 4x4, Prairie 360, Prairie 360 4x4,
Prairie 400, Prairie 400 4x4, Prairie 650 4x4, Prairie 700 4x4, and Brute
Force 650 4x4. The model numbers can be found on the identification label
located on the frame of the ATV. "Prairie" or "Brute Force" is printed on
each side of the vehicle's gas tank.

Sold at: Kawasaki dealers nationwide from August 2000 through July 2005
for between $4,400 and $7,400.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled ATVs immediately and
contact an authorized Kawasaki ATV dealer to arrange for a free repair.
Registered owners of the vehicles will be notified directly by Kawasaki
about the recall.

Consumer Contact: For more information, call Kawasaki toll-free at (866)
802-9381 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, or
visit their Web site at http://www.kawasaki.com.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products -- such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals -- contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270 or visit CPSC's Web site at http://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at http://www.cpsc.gov.

Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 802-9381

CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772

See less See more
#2 ·
The only problem with this recal is the lack of parts to fix the problem, I have been on a waiting list starting Aug 10, when I first got the recal notice, the dealer said that they only get 2 repair kits per month and they will call when my number comes up.

#6 ·
patiently not waiting

I have been waiting since Aug on a waiting list as everyone else. :mad: I called my local dealer 3 months ago and I was 18th on the list. :-o It will be another 9 months before I get my prarrie fixed. :eek: I will not let it sit in my garage to collect dust, I ride it daily with my husband and his prarrie which is also on the waiting list. :tongue:

#8 ·
I still have not received a call from my dealer! They blame Kawasaki for not getting them the parts to fix the problem. They said that Kawasaki sent out the letters 2 months before they received any of the parts. I think this is really bad pr for the company. I have since purchased a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800. I was very hesitant due to the recall procedure.:confused:

#11 ·
mr700_vamps said:
wow i didnt get a notice but oh well id still ride it till it broke anyways but i am goin to call bout this!:mad:
Don't ride that bike you crazy basket.I rode mine till it popped.Almost killed myself.Had the kids on it just before that.Luckily i was by myself.Doing about 40 klicks when it broke apart.Folded the tire right back and under the bike,flipped me about50 feet through the air.Messed me up really good,broken chest bone and 2 broken ribs,and an ambulance ride to emergency.Couldn't breath right for 2 months.NEVER GOT A NOTICE!!!I found out when i got it fixed that it was a recall.BECAREFUL!!

#12 ·
Thats scarry! :eek:
I just picked up my 400 Prarie 2x4. only 20 hrs on it!
You must have had the 4x4.
Mine has not beed in for the recall yet. I bought it from the origional owner and he never even knew of it.
Guess I'll call Kawi dealer Tues morning!!!

Also was there a belt recall for the same quads????

Dave

driver ed said:
Don't ride that bike you crazy basket.I rode mine till it popped.Almost killed myself.Had the kids on it just before that.Luckily i was by myself.Doing about 40 klicks when it broke apart.Folded the tire right back and under the bike,flipped me about50 feet through the air.Messed me up really good,broken chest bone and 2 broken ribs,and an ambulance ride to emergency.Couldn't breath right for 2 months.NEVER GOT A NOTICE!!!I found out when i got it fixed that it was a recall.BECAREFUL!!

#14 ·
I didn't get a recall but was at Harber's cycle Parts when I saw the recall notice. And on the way home and stopped at Kawasaki of Harrison, Ar. on Sat. and was told to bring in the first of the week and pick up the next day. No problems and no long wait. Harber Cycle Parts is in Viola,Ar. and good people to do business And honest.

#15 ·
Thanks for the info. folks

Perfect that I found this forum. I'm looking at getting a 2004 360 Prairie from a non-Kawi dealer that took it in trade.

Whew!! Would have been a PO to have bought it only to have the wheel fold under me 100 miles back in the bush on a hunting trip. Could have been fatal.

Thanks again, you may have saved my life.

Best regards,
Pat
Powell River, BC.

#16 ·
I got mine fixed several years ago per the recall notice. Then the steering knuckle broke again a couple years later...after it was fixed! Kawasaki didn't want to fix the problem because thet said it had already been fixed per the recall and it broke because I abused it. I had 3 things going for me, 1) I had an extended warranty even though thet didn't want to abide by it. 2) I was able to prove that the steering knuckle broke because of a metalurgical defect rather than abuse. The bolt hole for the tie rod end had actually stretched and elongated before braking. I think Kawi did the fix alright.....they replaced one bad part with another bad part. 3) I had my local dealer pulling for me and trying to work the problem. They needed me to help them by pestering Kawasaki to do the right thing, they coached me a little. In the end it all worked out OK. Thanks Lynnwood Cycle Barn!:wink:

#18 ·
Glad to hear that they did the fix after the first fix failed.

How'd you like the 360?

Pat
I don't have a 360, I have a 700 Prarie. It hauls A$$, no shortage of power. I had an opportunity to take a very close look at the 360. IMO it is under-powered or too **** heavy which ever you want to call it. The thing weighs as much as my 700 with only half the power! It would be a decent machine if it was a 500cc.

#19 ·
Howdy folks,
Got the parts for the recall and put them in yesterday. For my 360 it's a whole new cast aluminum knuckle for both sides and new A-Arms. The A-arm attaches to the knuckle via a castelated (Sp?) nut, very much like a ball joint on a front end. The only thing that I found was that the quality of one of the nuts was not great and I had to thread chase and run a tap through a different nut that I used. I also had to use two washers on top of the nut to make the nut index well to the cotter pin hole.

Not a really big job, just lots of cotter-pins to fiddle with and lots of different torque specs on reassembly. The pieces that I took off had absolutely Zero play and no evidence of any problem, but the new pieces are not fastened the same as the original. I used stud & bearing grade Loc-Tite and doubt that it will ever move. This is tried and tested in a zillion cars and trucks.

Have a good day.

Pat

#21 ·
I contacted my Kawi dealer, had them send me the parts, I gave them a Visa # to secure the transaction and then I sent the parts back (prepaid by the dealer) and they then submit the info to Kawi Home Office and get paid for the "work" they did and the parts they put out.

It's not a big deal to make the swap, hoist the beast up by the snout and take the front A arms off and replace them with the new style. No biggie.

Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.