Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have been on the fence on getting this tire for close to a year now and I just bit the bullet and got the **** thing.

I have just a couple of questions:

1) I understand that the belt guard needs to be removed or trimmed. If I just want to trim it, where exactly do i need to trim? Has anybody done this and if so do you have pics?

2) I understand that the mud flap under the rear fender needs to be cut down the middle to allow enough room after the tire swells and at speed. Again, has anybody done this and do you have pics? It seems like the mud would pack up between the rear fender and what's left of the mud flap on each side.

Note for Q2: I have the Brit lowering kit (2 inches) on the bike.

3) Has anybody had this tire on and gone the bikes top speed (110 -120) and if so, did the tire fly off the stock rim and kill you?

·
Registered
141 Posts
OK so I have been on the fence on getting this tire for close to a year now and I just bit the bullet and got the **** thing.

1) I understand that the belt guard needs to be removed or trimmed. If I just want to trim it, where exactly do i need to trim? Has anybody done this and if so do you have pics?

2) I understand that the mud flap under the rear fender needs to be cut down the middle to allow enough room after the tire swells and at speed. Again, has anybody done this and do you have pics? It seems like the mud would pack up between the rear fender and what's left of the mud flap on each side.

3) Has anybody had this tire on and gone the bikes top speed (110 -120) and if so, did the tire fly off the stock rim and kill you?
Mate,
I have been looking at this thread with interest. I have exactly your same questions. I hope we get some of the "good oil".

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
No answers here, just wanted to say that's the only thing I'm jealous of - the 900's ability to have such fat tire.
I'm only getting the Avon Cobra 200 on mine, then the shaft drive gets in the way... :p

·
Need Time To Ride
3,246 Posts
I only installed the Avon Venom 200 but:

#1 - Where to trim the belt guard depends on the tire diameter unless you want to chop a large strip from the inside of the guard. A simple fit check will show you where to cut. The 200 just fits without cutting.

#2 - With a 2" drop I had to cut the inner splash shield across the two mounting bolts. Should have cut more to allow for potholes. The Avon has a larger diameter than the Metzler so interference can be a problem. Cutting across the bolts leaves a small gap that can easily be filled with foam to keep the tool kit clean. The 900 isn't a dirt bike, don't ride in mud.

#3 - Only been to 105mph and still alive.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts

Thanks for telling me. A$$. :p

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 900 isn't a dirt bike, don't ride in mud.
Really? With the back fender kicked up that high I thought it was an enduro.

I mean just road grime in general.

guy had issues with his tire melting
Yeah his tire melted coz he had the Pulley kit on the 900 too and it pulled the tire too far forward.

I read all the threads on this and the first 2 questions are not directly addressed. I'm not liking that
a small gap that can easily be filled with foam to keep the tool kit clean.
that doesn't sound great.

Thanks for telling me. A$$.
Trust me you were going to find out. I'll need somebody to help me drag the bike lift out to the shed my 900 is in. Snow is thigh high for 200 feet so it will be fun. Oh and I need somebody to basically do the work for me too.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
QUOTE=Bustcard;1881344]
Yeah his tire melted coz he had the Pulley kit on the 900 too and it pulled the tire too far forward.

I didn't read to far but he stated no rubbing so I don't see how his pulley could have melted a tire. Like my previous post stated, this is just fyi for your third question...

Here is what he posted

I'm not sure what was the issue, but then I pulled over, the tire was turning into liquid in the middle of the tred. It was extremely hot. We inspected the bike, there was no rubbing. We waited and let the tires cool off then drove slowly to the next exit. Checked tire pressure at a gas station which was showing around 39psi ( with only me on the bike its fine, the tire is rated for 41mph max with much bigger load then me ).

·
85 Posts
I installed the 230 tire on my custom & I love it. I did trim the top of the front mud guard. I cut it just above the top mounting holes. I bought a chrome lower belt guard from a guy on e-bay & notched the flange for the tire to clear. The factory plastic one could be notched & used as well. The bike is lowerd 2" with a Scoot Works kit. It has the extra hole to go down another inch. I have had the bike lowered 3" with the wide tire, but it gets really close to the fender support. With it set a 2" I have no problems rubbing even riding 2-up. The ride is a little rougher, but some of that could be tuned out by fiddling with tire pressure or shock settings. I ride my bike hard (when it gets ridden) & have not had a problem with it flying off the rim & killing me. I dont think it has happened anyway because work keeps calling.
If you have any questions or need pictures, just ask.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,246 Posts
Bust - the fender gap by the toolkit is only about 1/2" wide. Any piece of foam lying around fills the gap and it can't been seen. Never had a problem with slop getting in the tool kit area.

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I got my back wheel off.

Just waiting for the tire which shoudl be here directly.

As far as the Mud flap, is the white line below about where i need to cut?

Interesting note; there was already some rubbing ware on the mud flap (indicated by the yellow lines). Probably due to the lowering kit.

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cut mine straight across just above the dimples for the top mounting holes.
Got it, TY.

can you take a picture of the two tires next to each other?
I can take a picture of the wheel with the stock tire on it and then take another picture of it with the 230.

I'll never have the 180 and 230 side-by-side, neither on the wheel though.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.