Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my VN2000 with a set of Hard Krome 3” Longs already installed. The HKs always had problems buzzing, and every time I would fix them the buzz would come back in a few months. So I though I might as well try stock since they are a lot cheaper than aftermarket and I like the stock set on the VN900. I swiped a set of factor exhaust off E-bay for very little $$. Then someone gave me the mounting bracket and bolts that were missing for shipping only. The last part needed came in yesterday and I slapped them on in like 30 minutes. After heat cycling them a couple of times and re-torqueing things I went riding for a few hours to test them out.

All I can say is WOW. This thing is a totally different machine now. No more roaring, snorting, and belching flames… the dragon has been tamed.

I found myself doing 60mph in third a couple of times and had a hard time sticking to the speed limit. I was used to listening to the exhaust note for feedback on what the motor was doing, now I hear the motor not the exhaust. It will take some getting used to, but so far so good. :cool:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
My 1500 Vulcan had HK's on it. Loud and obnoxious and I couldn't hear my MP3 music while cruising. When I bought my V2K I left the stock pipes on it and still love them! They have a nice rumble sound but not so loud that I can't enjoy my music while cruising. Personally...I really like the way the stock pipes sound on the V2K.

·
Registered
995 Posts
When I was "looking" a couple of years ago I rode a V2K and thought the OEM exhaust was very nice. Low rumble with no harsh sounds. The bike was just too big for me and I went with the 1500.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Punch out those baffles and it's like the best of both worlds...
I can't agree with that. Such pseudo performance modifications never really increase horsepower and only serve to make the non riders upset with the noise increase you incur. The manufacturer and their ENGINEERS have spent countless hours tuning your exhaust for your bike and now you back yard mechanics have the audacity to tell them they're wrong?????

Just wanted to get that in before a certain someone did to ruin the fun of it for him. I know redact the whole darn thing.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
OEM was too quiet and I kept dragging it on the right side in turns

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
OEM was too quiet and I kept dragging it on the right side in turns
That was my issue. The bottom pipe was pretty mangled by the time I took it off.

Didn't help any that my old saddlebag contacted the top pipe and melted, subsequently removing a nice strip of chrome....

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
There was a big ding in my stock pipes when I bought my bike this past summer. I replaced them w/ Vance and Hines Powershots. They're nice and mellow at idle and cruising-- even on the highway. When you nail the throttle they bark! I was surprised by how quiet they were when I was being good though.

The stock pipes looked like they fell over in the previous owners garage-- weird place for a dent.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rarely hit the boards so I don't think dragging the pipes will be a problem… but we shall see.

A few more miles with the stock setup over the last few days, I think I like them.

Now that I have gotten used to the new sound I can hear what the engine is doing much better. The throttle response is also much smoother. Now I can let off the throttle and the bike will decelerate controllably where before any minuscule change in throttle position would cause either acceleration (controlled) or HARD deceleration (not much control).

Shifts are also smoother, and believe this… much quieter. I figured the clunk would seem louder with less exhaust sound, but apparently the improved throttle control and ability to hear the motor better allows for better matching of RPM with speed for a given gear.

I miss the noise makers though, especially in town… little tuner cars and booming stereos on wheels… you know the deal.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I rarely hit the boards so I don't think dragging the pipes will be a problem… but we shall see.
A few more miles with the stock setup over the last few days, I think I like them.

Now that I have gotten used to the new sound I can hear what the engine is doing much better. The throttle response is also much smoother. Now I can let off the throttle and the bike will decelerate controllably where before any minuscule change in throttle position would cause either acceleration (controlled) or HARD deceleration (not much control).

Shifts are also smoother, and believe this… much quieter. I figured the clunk would seem louder with less exhaust sound, but apparently the improved throttle control and ability to hear the motor better allows for better matching of RPM with speed for a given gear.

I miss the noise makers though, especially in town… little tuner cars and booming stereos on wheels… you know the deal.

I drag my boards ALL the time!:mrgreen:

·
Where should I go today?
25 Posts
I stayed with my stock exhaust for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned - annoying buzz from aftermarkets, can't hear the stereo, etc. I've been told by a Kaw mechanic that the stock V2K exhaust is so well tuned that simply adding a better breather and fuel processor will get as good a hp jump as you get adding pipes, breather, and fuel/proc to most bikes.

That said, if anyone has a set of used mufflers they'd like to donate, I'd like to try the different "bafflectomy" procedures to see the difference in noise, performance, mileage. Maybe do a video montage of stock, 1 baffle punched, 2 then all out open stock mufflers.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
MR Clean... You are the man! And I thought I was the only one using the term "pseudo-performance". These mods do nothing but generate noise and cause endless tuning issues.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
Just an FYI - I rarely drag the boards on my mine, but it would drag the stock lower pipe when riding two up on tight right turns or over hard bumps in the road. I fixed the problem by going to an aftermarket shock.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Horsepower and throttle response can be increased with a 2 into 1 pipe. It affords better scavenging and I notice the improvement.
There is also a benefit of about 25 lbs saved on the right side. I notice that, too.
I would much prefer the quiet and money saving stock pipe, though. But on a big twin, especially the V2K, the stock pipe just does not scavenge as well and the stock pipe is a compromise.

I'm pronbably going to put tjhe stocker back on this spring, though, but that's primarily because I may be selling the V2K and the stock pipe probly adds sale-ability.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I have heard that they might scrape. I don't ride that hard so hopefully it won't be an issue.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most prospective V2K buyers are looking for a big bad loud a$$ machine. I would think aftermarket would help the sale... unless they look like carp.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been trolling eBay looking for some cheeeeep used cans so I can try diffrent levels of debaffling... find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my VN2000 with a set of Hard Krome 3” Longs already installed. The HKs always had problems buzzing, and every time I would fix them the buzz would come back in a few months. So I though I might as well try stock since they are a lot cheaper than aftermarket and I like the stock set on the VN900. I swiped a set of factor exhaust off E-bay for very little $$. Then someone gave me the mounting bracket and bolts that were missing for shipping only. The last part needed came in yesterday and I slapped them on in like 30 minutes. After heat cycling them a couple of times and re-torqueing things I went riding for a few hours to test them out.

All I can say is WOW. This thing is a totally different machine now. No more roaring, snorting, and belching flames… the dragon has been tamed.

I found myself doing 60mph in third a couple of times and had a hard time sticking to the speed limit. I was used to listening to the exhaust note for feedback on what the motor was doing, now I hear the motor not the exhaust. It will take some getting used to, but so far so good. :cool:
I have an 08 classic LT with Roadhouse slip ons. I left the baffles in. Looks ok and sounds ok, but I'm wanting to get a h/k 2.75 setup. I might be willing to let these go for about 8 or 900 bucks,........ you know. sO THERE

·
Registered
388 Posts
I too debaffled the wifes 900 and it is not loud but has a pleasant tone ..and you can actually hear what the motor is doing..So I have to disagree with undoing the engineers many hours of work as they may know what performs best but we have to fork out the money so we must have what we want
T.O.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts