Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 600f. I have replaced the plugs. Cleaned the carbs. Checked the coils and wires also checked the stator. What is the Funi 21119-1160 igniter and its function. Please someone helps me solve my dilemma. All things have checked out good except the igniter and I have bought one and getting ready to install it. Thanks everyone. Sure hope someone can help me !

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have you checked intake and exhaust valves for proper clearance? Is there any chance the camshaft timing chain has skipped a tooth or was incorrectly installed? The igniter is a key component of your ignition system. Basically it takes the signal from the pickups/timing rotor and from that determines when and which coils to fire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question I have adjusted the valves for proper clearance First thing today I will check the timing to see exactly where I stand with that issue I replaced the igniter last night but didn't have the time to fire up the bike I would also like to thank you for he knowledge concerning the igniter That give me more of an understanding on how the ignition system all works together I will let you know later on today what I find out on the timing and if I have to I will go back and recheck all the valves lash

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you don't have a good service manual, I would highly recommend getting one. Does your bike require removal of cams to replace valve shims? If so, this is where it is all too easy to get the cam chain off by a tooth or two. Be very careful with this step because if done incorrectly, bent valves can be the result. Have you done a compression check?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • Thank you very much for all your valued help. I have a service Manuel on it's way. I have tried to do a compression test but my gauge wouldn't thread in so I have that ordered also. I have been a good mechanic for many years but on automobiles. Motorcycles are a different subject and this is my first large bike I am having the privilege to work on. (Unfortunately)! I will keep you updated as to my progress and findings as.the day unfolds!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts