Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this in another forum, and thought I would pass along to everybody. This is a letter to the better business bureau from a forum member....enjoy!!

BBB of Eastern North Carolina, Inc.
5540 Munford Rd, Suite 130
Raleigh, NC 26712

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to file a complaint regarding the service provided by Craven County Motor Sports/Honda of New Bern on Saturday March 27, 2004 while servicing my 2003 Honda CBR600RR motorcycle.

Craven County Motor Sports/Honda of New Bern
3317 E Hwy 70
New Bern, NC 28560
252-638-3961

I dropped my motorcycle off at CCMS/Honda of New Bern on Friday, March 26, 2004 for routine service. I was informed that they could not perform the service until the following day. I left the motorcycle in their care.

The following morning I received a phone call from Trooper Gary Fox informing me that he had pulled over the service technician riding my motorcycle after witnessing the tech riding the motorcycle in a “reckless and abusive manner.” Trooper Fox stated to me the he witnessed the bike being ridden in excess of 80 mph and watched the mechanic lean the bike from side to side almost laying it down and ride multiple wheelies. Trooper Fox also informed me that when he ran the service tech's information, he had no motorcycle endorsement or learner’s permit.

I immediately contacted CCMS/Honda of New Bern and informed them that I would be up to pick up my key and make arrangements to come back for the bike at a later time. When I arrived, I was met outside by the service manager and was assured that there was nothing wrong with the bike and that it was in perfect working order. After a lengthy meeting with the owner, I made arrangements to come back before 4:00pm that afternoon to pick up my motorcycle. When I returned for the bike, it would not run. I called Honda Riders Club of America to arrange roadside assistance, a tow and storage.

When I dropped the motorcycle off at the dealership it was documented on the work order that there was 901 miles on the bike. When I returned to pick it up there were 964 miles. I am sure those miles were put on the bike while in the care of CCMS/Honda of New Bern. When I dropped off the motorcycle at the dealership it was in perfect working order and fully operation. I was assured by the service manager that, prior to the service test ride, there was nothing wrong with the bike and that it was fully operational. Officer Fox witnessed the bike in an operational state and told me according to what he saw there was absolutely nothing wrong with the bike while the tech had it out on the road. When I returned for the motorcycle that afternoon, the motorcycle would not run.

This motorcycle is still in its break-in period and riding the bike in such a manner as the service tech did can have potentially damaging effects on the motorcycle that may not become apparent for some time. Honda recommends a break-in procedure and I have followed it very strictly. The abuse my motorcycle took in the hands of the technician is a clear violation of that procedure. The number of miles put on the motorcycle as well as the way in which it was ridden has lessened the value of the motorcyle. The fact that the technician who the service department trusted my bike to had no endorsement and was not legally permitted to ride my motorcycle in the first place further reinforces my concerns.

What I see as reasonable accommodation in this case is that the dealership in question take full financial responsibility for and ownership of my motorcycle. In turn I would like them to sell me a different motorcycle at dealer cost under the same financing conditions as I have now. At that time I will take my business elsewhere. In addition, I would like to have returned or be reimbursed for all aftermarket equipment on my current bike, which totals over $3000.

Thank you for you time and consideration in this manner. I will look forward to hearing from you in what I hope is a favorable manner. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Justin M. D’Appolonia

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BBB +

I'd be sending a copy of this to not only the dealer, BBB, State Attorney General, HondaUSA, but recording everythng and getting your papers in line for an attorney. winning actually will cost you nothing. It should be taken as a contengency case...consumer fraud, franchise issue, grand theft, Larceny...definately contact the attorney in this case...that should be passed back to the original person...

·
Registered
54 Posts
uh, if it was still in break in conditions, why are there aftermarket parts on the motorcycle? :?: Usually, the 1st 1000 miles of break-in is set for all stock parts including exhaust, engine, etc isn't it??
Tough luck though man..

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FORUM MEMBERS!!

Read (What I Learned Today). CONSUMERS RULE!! Posted Mar 15, 2004, bymyself ZX-2R. Sport Rider Magazine, April, 2004 Page 88. Seriously, The Forum Members need to read ALL the forum pages, and not just ask questions sometimes when it comes to things like plugs, tires, oils...just take a glance through the Forum...sorry about being POINTED, but the question of the guy going to the BBB...that will get you absolutely NO--WHERE in getting your bike fixed. Why would the town/city care if they get a complaint valid or not about a bike??? take it through the system... YES it IS legal to have aftermarket parts on your bike and and still be legally covered under the factory warranty...including pipes, electrical changes to lamps, tires, sprocket sizes, Aftremarket lighting, wheels, clip-ons, rearsets, seats...... The article covers the MAGNUSON-MOSS Warranty Act...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
With something like that happening you need to get every penny out of them you can. And I'm sure with lots of legal evidence you could easily get a new bike without having to pay anything for it. I mean.... you never authorized them to ride your motorcycle, much less pop wheelies. That would constitute theft in my eyes. Get a lawyer and get money out of them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
**** that would piss me off!
I completly agree with freakinout, the guy should get all he can out of them, make an example so other dealers get the point. :evil:

·
Registered
395 Posts
WOW!!! I know that place VERY well, although I've never done any business with them. ( I used to live about a mile from them. ) Seems to me that the tech should not have been hired without a motorcycle endorsment. And being as that he had none, the service manager should not have let him road test the bike. I'd definitely be stumping for a new bike, at the bare minimum. The tech should and probably will be fired, and teh service manager should begin looking for work elsewhere as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts