Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey KruiseKaws - I filled up today (3rd tank) and I only got about 37 mpg. This is city/highway mileage. My first tank was all highway and I got about 42 mpg, and my second tank was city/highway at 36 mpg. This seems low from what I've read in reviews about the Classic 800. Is it really low? If so, how can I fix it? I did have a full service done when I purchased the bike about a month ago (all fluids changed, plugs changed, valves checked, etc.).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I have a '97 with about 7000 miles. I also had a new front tire put on when I had it serviced.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Gas mileage on the 800 depends a lot on how you ride it. I got 52 mpg on a road trip once where I stuck at about 65. I got about 35 mpg on a freeway on Nevada doing about 80. Also around town if I was riding more agressively I would get in the high 30's.

The other thing that seemed to matter was when it was cold I warmed up the engine alot and everything on the bike is colder so you won't get as good mileage.

Hope this helps
DJ

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
dawgblood said:
Hey KruiseKaws - I filled up today (3rd tank) and I only got about 37 mpg. This is city/highway mileage. My first tank was all highway and I got about 42 mpg, and my second tank was city/highway at 36 mpg. This seems low from what I've read in reviews about the Classic 800. Is it really low? If so, how can I fix it? I did have a full service done when I purchased the bike about a month ago (all fluids changed, plugs changed, valves checked, etc.).

Guy's who have the 1500 run the tire pressure...front n rear at 40 PSI and get more life out of the tires as well as better handling due to less friction. I would also think this would affect gas mileage. I'm not sure what tire pressure the guys who have the 800 are running but you still will want to keep an eye on that.

Also....how many miles on the bike? If it's new....it'll take some time to break in....rings seating...and once that has happened you should see better gas mileage. Be sure that your chain is adjusted correctly also.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dawgblood.I have an 02 800B with 15000 miles on it and bought it new.That's all your going to get for mileage unless you slow way down.Those numbers are just the same I was getting with the stock setup.I just did a pipe change,K&N filter and rejet the carb and I suspect the mileage will go down.Still beats the 15 mpg with my truck.I may try a sprocket change when I need to replace them and that might help.That's about all the mpg my buddies get with their assortment of cruiser models.Don't worry about the mileage and just ride.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
center, whistle, vanb - you guys are great! Thanks for the help. Have any of you tried the gas additives, like Techron, STP, etc.? I think I read on one thread that they help, but you have to change the oil more often.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I was getting about 45mph on my 800A. That was usually a mix of highway and town miles.

·
Super Moderator
10,861 Posts
You didn't mention if you have a windshield-more resistance is less mpg. My 03 800B, highway and town together gets about 42 mpg. I'm also with cp on this one-65 to 70 mph seems to be optimal for the highway. Also, check the idle screw (should be illustrated in the manual). You may be running a bit too rich for your needs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I generally get about 42 as well. Sometimes 40 sometimes 45 but generally 42 mpg is a safe bet.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I get 40 to 45 with my 800A, that's average for city/highway. I have a large windshield which probably hurts mileage a little. An 18 tooth front spocket may help some.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
dawgblood said:
center, whistle, vanb - you guys are great! Thanks for the help. Have any of you tried the gas additives, like Techron, STP, etc.? I think I read on one thread that they help, but you have to change the oil more often.

I use SeaFoam now and then to help keep moisture out in the winter months and to help keep the valves / pistons clean. I wouldn't go crazy with using any additive....just once in awhile to help clean things up.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I notice my mileage drops off in cold weather. It takes longer to get to proper operating temp so the beast just isn't as efficient.
If it doesn't go back to what it was in warmer weather, it might mean the thermostat is stuck open and the engine is running cold all the time.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
dawgblood said:
Dawg ,your doing fine on the gas milage. I'm getting the same number's that Centerpunch mentioned . The milage tends to drop when your rpm's are above 4000. Whistle mentioned sea foam, I use it .It does what he say's it does.I don't know what octane of gas you use ,but 87 octane is what the 800 likes anything else tends to carbon it up. (85.5 octane) in the mountains.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just thought I would throw this in: I was getting about 35mpg without my windshield with a variety of driving. I put on my windshield and lowers and mileage went up to 42 average. I was amazed at the difference. I thought it would act as a sail but it seamed to smooth out the wind turbulance and decreased the parasitic drag.

DJ

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have a windshield. I use regular unleaded gas (I think that's 87 octane). I'm wondering if it isn't the colder weather, cause about half my mileage is on the way to work, and it's been 28 - 34 degrees. I think I may give this SeaFoam a try. Can you get it at any auto parts store, or is it a special Kawasaki product?

·
Registered
283 Posts
dawgblood said:
center, whistle, vanb - you guys are great! Thanks for the help. Have any of you tried the gas additives, like Techron, STP, etc.? I think I read on one thread that they help, but you have to change the oil more often.[/QUOI I use Sea Foam every third tank or so,don't think it helps mileage but keeps the carb clean.You may be able to buy a lot of gas for what some additives cost so don't know if thats cost effective.I also have a tall shield and bags and am not a small guy.I don't worry about mpg. just love to ride.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hey Van,
I always try to use one to the fuels that have addatives like Chevron or Shell. I was told by my truck mechanic that it was a very good idea. Cheap gas will leave a lot of deposits in the engine and screw it up eventually. also my bike is fuel injected so I will be using Chevron fuel injector cleaner about every 1000 miles or so. Just to make sure they stay good and clean.

·
Super Moderator
10,861 Posts
Hey dawg; cold weather will DEFINATELY affect the mpg's. MY 800B is a cold blooded animal and takes a while to warm up. Seafoam is a great additive when used occassionally, say every 3 to 4 tanks, but cut back some when the weather warms up. And when it gets to 85 to 90 regularly, I quit using it until the fall. I've gotten it at both advance auto and autozone. 87 octane seems to work just fine for me. No pings, no knocks, no hesitations after it's warmed up good. I've been using Texaco and Shell with no problems at all.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
dawgblood said:
I do have a windshield. I use regular unleaded gas (I think that's 87 octane). I'm wondering if it isn't the colder weather, cause about half my mileage is on the way to work, and it's been 28 - 34 degrees. I think I may give this SeaFoam a try. Can you get it at any auto parts store, or is it a special Kawasaki product?
I buy it at Napa Auto Parts.

·
Registered
392 Posts
All i run in my bike is 93 octane. Should I be? I thought it was best for the bike and for performance. It's never had an lower octane fuel in it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts