Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Bad Insurance Experience

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  airforce1 
#1 ·
A friend told me he got a good price on full coverage insurance from American National Property And Casualty Companies. I got a quote from them and got a good price as well so I bought a policy from them and paid for 6 months in advance.

I got a letter from the lienholder 3 days ago that my insurance was cancelled on Dec. 22. I contacted the company and was told I never supplied proof of prior insurance so they dropped me. I dont remember anyone asking for any proof of prior insurance.

They claimed they had sent me notice, but I never saw it if they did. So I went almost a month without the insurance I thought I had! I asked them yesterday to check to see what refund I could expect to receive and to call me back. I called them back today at 2:30 PM and got machine. Called a 2nd time after getting home from work at 4:15 (got machine again) and this time explained that if I didnt hear from someone in the next 20 min my next call was going to be to the State Ins. Board. Fifteen minutes later I get a call from the guy and he said the home office had confirmed that they sent the refund check on Dec. 21. I said "I bet they can confirm the check hasnt been cashed too" ! He said he would contact them and have them cancel that check and send me another one.

I had not seen any notice, until I got the letter from the lienholder saying the policy had been cancelled. That was three days ago. The policy was cancelled almost a month ago. Wonder what would have happened if I had been involved in an accident? Needless to say I would not recommend this company for your insurance!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for informing us about this co. One of the things that hurts crooked insurance co, etc, is the Internet. People like you are telling their friends on the net to watch out, and it is helping. I hope more people take the time to report bogus deals, and bad companies.

Thanks again, they sure won't get my business.

D

#4 ·
I do plan on contacting the insurance board, they need to know what is happening with this Company and get them straightened out before something bad happens to someone. I'm just waiting to get check in hand first.

#6 ·
what happens to you now since you have had a laspe in coverage? What does this mean for when you find a REAL insurance company? will this go against you because you "didnt" have insurance for at least 6 months?
I was told I had to have prior insurance within 30 days. I barely made it!

#7 ·
I am sorry to hear that you had this bad experience. I am an agent with American National for 7 years and an insured with them for more than 12 years. American National is a 103 year old company with a AM Best rating of A+ (top 10% of all insurance companies). As an agent, your problems were related to a bad agent. It is the agent's responsiblity to get any needed documents including prior insurance docs. Your agent also would have been aware of this cancellation a long time before the company would have sent notices out. Like any business, a bad agent, salesperson, clerk, etc., can create a bad experience. Blame your agent for this mess. As for the company contacts, when you made your inquiry, the company would have tried to contact your agent reference this situation before responding back to you. I hope you obtained insurance through an agent that is there to do the right job for you.

#8 ·
I am sorry to hear that you had this bad experience. I am an agent with American National for 7 years and an insured with them for more than 12 years. American National is a 103 year old company with a AM Best rating of A+ (top 10% of all insurance companies). As an agent, your problems were related to a bad agent. It is the agent's responsiblity to get any needed documents including prior insurance docs. Your agent also would have been aware of this cancellation a long time before the company would have sent notices out. Like any business, a bad agent, salesperson, clerk, etc., can create a bad experience. Blame your agent for this mess. As for the company contacts, when you made your inquiry, the company would have tried to contact your agent reference this situation before responding back to you. I hope you obtained insurance through an agent that is there to do the right job for you.
Then they ought to get rid of that agent stat...

#9 ·
Actually, I do place most of the blame on the agent. I'm sure this is an isolated case and maybe should not have even mentioned the company name. But I was fuming at the time I started this thread,,wait,,I've been fuming for 2 days now! It is fine as long as I get my check. But the thought of what could have happened just fans the flames brighter.

#10 ·
Notifying you of the cancellation of your policy is too important to leave to regular mail. I'd suspect your state insurance laws require certified mail notice (if they don't they should). I'd haul your agent and the company in front of your state insurance commissioner. I'm glad you named the company. You may have saved someone else from dealing with them.

You may have been serviced by an agent, but your contract was with the company. Sounds like a crappy agent and a crappy company - financial ratings notwithstanding.

What's the deal with the prior insurance requirement anyway?

#11 ·
Notifying you of the cancellation of your policy is too important to leave to regular mail. I'd suspect your state insurance laws require certified mail notice (if they don't they should).
California does not.
If I miss a payment, I get ONE notice that as of 12:01 on x/x/xx I will be canceled unless payment is received before close of business prior day.

#12 ·
A friend told me he got a good price on full coverage insurance from American National Property And Casualty Companies. I got a quote from them and got a good price as well so I bought a policy from them and paid for 6 months in advance.

I got a letter from the lienholder 3 days ago that my insurance was cancelled on Dec. 22. I contacted the company and was told I never supplied proof of prior insurance so they dropped me. I dont remember anyone asking for any proof of prior insurance.

They claimed they had sent me notice, but I never saw it if they did. So I went almost a month without the insurance I thought I had! I asked them yesterday to check to see what refund I could expect to receive and to call me back. I called them back today at 2:30 PM and got machine. Called a 2nd time after getting home from work at 4:15 (got machine again) and this time explained that if I didnt hear from someone in the next 20 min my next call was going to be to the State Ins. Board. Fifteen minutes later I get a call from the guy and he said the home office had confirmed that they sent the refund check on Dec. 21. I said "I bet they can confirm the check hasnt been cashed too" ! He said he would contact them and have them cancel that check and send me another one.

I had not seen any notice, until I got the letter from the lienholder saying the policy had been cancelled. That was three days ago. The policy was cancelled almost a month ago. Wonder what would have happened if I had been involved in an accident? Needless to say I would not recommend this company for your insurance!!!
Contact your state insurance commissioner. Most states require that a 30 day notice of cancillaiton be sent to you before they drop the policy. Your pro rata refund will be pretty small, almost neglagable.

Sounds like some monkey business going on.

Goto Progressive and get a quote. They are pretty competative.

#16 ·
wow that kinda happened to me

Wow! talk about Deja Vu. We went to BC from Saskatchewan this summer and when we got back, i had a letter in the mail saying my insurance had been cancelled because i had been sent a notice to take a traffic safety class that i missed. I had never gotten any letter about this and it turns out that it was sent to a former address of mine and the people there never sent it back. We left on Aug 4, i got the letter around Aug 30th and it said my insurance had been cancelled in mid july. So i was riding for almost 2 months with no insurance. I shudder to think what would have happened if i had been in an accident or gotten pulled over in the mountains. As it was, i was run off the road by a trucker who decided to pass me going uphill on a solid line. Problem was that someone was coming downhill at the same time. The trucker decided i was expendable and just kept pulling into my lane and forced me off the road and very close to a 300 foot drop on the side. Scared the crap out of my G/F who was in front of me and in front of the truck.

#18 ·
Progressive quoted me $1300.00 for my 2003 1500 Nomad. My auto ins co . (NationWide), quoted me $520.00 for the same coverage limits that are on my autos. Progressive is no as competive as they advertise. Just my $00.02 -Rich
Two things that hurt me are high mileage (about 12k/year), and, until June, only 1 full year with an MC license.

#20 ·
Another thing about companies have way too much power over what they can do compared to the consumers right, just like credit card companies. They can jack up the interest rate for no apparent reason for "market adjustment".

Insurance companies can "just drop" a person with no further notice. While most of us MUST have insurance, what can we do to "pressure" the companies to move little faster? Not much I am afraid.

Tho one thing I did do was when my son was involved in an accident last year, he got hit by a oncoming car taking a left in front of him. The opposite parts insurance company Geico was a royal pain in the arse to deal with. Was doing running exhaustion tatics all along, need more pics of car(claim they never got them), need to send an agent to take pics....takes forever.......blablabla.....nuff was enough.......after two months of ****ing around, I send my case over to the state auditor. Took less than two weeks before case was closed and I had a check cut to me, with loss of use compensation on top of it.

#21 ·
One thing you all might want to look into is Uninsured Motorist. If you have it ask your agent if you really need it. Can save lots of $ there.
That's how I got the above rates.
I've got it with AAA... I can't believe that they are cheaper than anyone else.
The above rates do NOT include it.

#22 ·
$197.00 a year for geico and i live in New Jersey where insurance rates are generally high.

i have Comp, Collision and uninsured motorist
25 years with a motorcycle license and no claims probly helped

#24 ·
When it comes to something like Insurance, it's not always the smartest to look for the cheapest item. Run all/most of your insurance through the same company. You'll usually save a little bit and you know they'll be easier to deal with instead of dealing with some company you don't even know. Besides...it's motorcycle insurance. How much can you honestly save? Between an '06 900 Classic and an '06 Meanstreak, we pay $500 for the YEAR for full coverage with a $500 deduct.

#26 ·
Huh.
AAA insured me for the house and the cage, but when the m/c policy came, AAA arranged it, but the carrier was not AAA.
Huh.
So I got a flat rear tire.
Well, I don't carry a "spare" (duh?) so called the "hook".
Got transferred to some company in somewhere, took 2 hours, 40 minutes on hold, they then send a hooker with a sling to take "tweety", my 600 lb ride/girlfriend (grin). The driver said he had never towed a m/c before, so I sent him away and said 'bring a flatbed'.
finally the same guy came back with the f/bed, still did not know how to tie it down or load it! Echh.
Ran the flatbed down and thought he would push it up (bless him for wanting to try!).
Told him, "I will get it up there, you can help level the bed!
Lit off "tweety", she was not happy about the flat, but was glad to light up and go "somewhere", even up the ramp.
The driver goggled when she went up the ramp, I had to do both brakes and say "now would be a good time to level off, ok?"
Keee---- rap!
So, if you ride a phat bike and need a tow, you need to know that you need the right truck to deal with it, right?
Would be good to know about the ins. co that handles the road service.
AAA has been great for the cage and the house, but the sublet co. for the bike is (sorry) the pits.
Check 'em out before you need them.
I always like to look a round over before I chamber it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.