Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if my reeds are shot the bike wont run right? ... i hold them up to the lights and i can see light ... thier always open about 1 mm. .... so im assumiung thats my problem since i got a clean carb .. back to factory settings and a **** good spart with new plugs .. no leaks or anyhting ... it gradually got harder and harder to start so bad reeds is my guess .. what yall think?

·
Registered
27 Posts
yes that is a sign that the reeds are bad heres an idea if your cheap if they are the factory reed they normal have one layer of reeds so try flipping them over if not 1 layer reeds then it wont work .....aahhh boyseen makes some good reeds if you want better than factory jack

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check the edges of the reads for flaring as well as cracks. If your running factory reeds and have never changed them this could very well be your problem as well as when the bike does run the reeds are going to chop up your air flow thus causing some sort of bog in your powerband. Boysen makes good redds, but I prefer bighting the bullet and just purchasing a V-force unit. I wouldn't trade mine for anything and the bottom end that the V-force produces is phenomenal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my wifes kx100 runs perfect in the low end...starts easily, idles smooth, revs clean, just wont hit the power band...ive changed the plug, cleaned the carb, adusted the float, and it still ran the same....i pulled the reed valve out last night and found this...would this cause my problem? i heard that bad reeds really effect the low end, which i dont have a problem with? I am going to replace either way, i was just wondering if this could be my problem??

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a very good possibility that is your culprate. What does the bike feel like when you say it doesn't go into power band? Does it bog before the rpm range and not allow you to rev? Or does it just try to lug around, This could also be a poor compression issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a very good possibility that is your culprate. What does the bike feel like when you say it doesn't go into power band? Does it bog before the rpm range and not allow you to rev? Or does it just try to lug around, This could also be a poor compression issue.
it doesnt really feel like its bogging...it jsut feels like it runs outta throttle...liek its about to get to powerband and then just falls off...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would go ahead and start with the reeds since from the picture they need to be replaced regardless if it is the issue. If you still have a problem I suggest getting a compression test to see if you might need a top end change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah i didnt mess with the air screw at all the first time...but i realized last night that it was only turned out about 1/2 a turn...im hoping that with new reeds, and opening up the air screw a little more...i should be good to go...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok...so i put new reeds in, turned the air screw out 1 1/2 turns...bike starts in one kick, idles PERFECT...nice crisp throttle response...but STILL no top end...gets to mid range quick then just ends...like ive said before, it doesnt feel like its boggin out or anything...just completely runs out of throttle...WTF? next thing is to check the power valve....can anyone tell me how to check it, without tearing the top end off?

just out of curiousity, will a bad throttle cable cause this problem? the wound up metal spring at the top of carb is kinda pulled out and stretched??

·
Registered
36 Posts
The throttle cable necesarily shouldn't be bad, how much play does it have on the throttle? If your pulling the carb off and looking in twist the throttle to see if your slid is opening up all the way. it should reach the very top just with a slight bit in sight, If you are showing most of the slide then your throttle isn't opening all the way and could be causing your run out of throttle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the clutch was slipping the bike would rev freely it just wouldn't go anywhere. It wouldn't feel like you ran out of throttle it would sound like you were going wide open, but going maybe 10 mph if that.

I'm a pro at burntout clutches I have a tendency to go through them pretty quick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah it doesnt feel like a slipping clutch, because its not reving up at all...the bike does have a procircuit adjustable clutch perch, which ive messed with, but it doesnt seem to do anything either way

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you have ever washed it without covering the silencer and the bike was semi-warm water could have gotten down your pipe and that can cause your powervalve to stick slightly, just a possiblity. Im not positive on powervalve adjustment so I would reference a manual for that part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts