Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally found the squeek that was driving me crazy! Removing the rear wheel, we found rub marks on the axle and the bearing spacer. I didn't find the problem the first time I looked, so it was put back together and lived with until something showed up. My selling dealer was very patient with me and needs to be commended. They replaced the rear axle, the spacer, and all the rear wheel bearings. The squeek is gone. The belt is adjusted per the current service bulletin from Kawasaki and I think is too tight. I've had other belt driven bikes and none of them were adjusted this tight. It makes the pullys howl and the belt noisy. What would it hurt to back it off say to Yamaha's specs? Since the adjustment I've lost some gas mileage and the rear suspension is stiffer(seems to me) It is set at 2mm deflection with 10lbs. pressure. What would be wrong with 8 or 10mm with a wider belt than Yamaha's? Thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
to loose is just like a too loose chain you could throw the belt.maybe loosen it a little bit (split the difference) :?:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Looser

I'd go with the minimum tension, unless ther is some reason to expect some stretching...that shouldn't happen! Anyway, worst thing that could happen is that it does slip and you end up replacing it and having to go back to TIGHT again. Of course, some of this probably applies to your personal riding habits and loading of hte bike. Fully loaded two up and rabbit-jump starts versus solo unloaded and smooth riding...You have to remember that Kawasaki LOVES the term "Average Rider."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vn2000

How can a cog belt slip? It would have to shell the cogs to. I've seen one belt break. It was on a Yamaha 1600 and the guy was being stupid. I looked at the belt and all the cogs were intact. For all you guys with vn2000's--I just installed a 240 Metzler880 rear tire on the vn2000 and it fits with room to spare, but I don't think a 250 tire would clear the belt guard or inner fender. There is only 2mm diference in the diameter of the tires, so the speedo shouldn't be affected. It looks awesome!I It took no weights to balance it either. I loosened the belt to 7mm deflection with 10 lbs. pressure. I haven't had the chance to ride it yet as the weather is nasty here. It is supposed to clear off this weekend. Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BELT JUMP

Actually a belt can jump. if it was really loose the grooves would wear, to a sawtooth shape and then eventually on a hard throttle situation it would slip...kind of like having your chain slipping on a sprocket because 75% of the teeth are worn off...you get the idea...Anyway, I don't think (IMO) that lostening it would hurt as long as you are not trying to do burn-outs or wheelies, or massive jump starts or constantly Launching your bike...common sense wen loostening a belt would be to be gentle...which I "guess" is not the "average rider".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts