Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, call me a wuss but these Cobra drag pipes are way loud. So my next purchase I believe is going to be a set of baffles. Do baffles change the tone of the exhaust or just quiet it down? How do I go about looking for a set of baffles for my specific exhaust pipes? I'm assuming that the small holes at the exit end of the pipes are there to secure the baffles inside the pipe, right? Any recommended baffles? They are 2 inch pipes I believe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My ears are ringing! Thanks. Baffled about baffles

·
Registered
37 Posts
My V&H quiet baffles should work for your pipes. I have a post in big shots on a meanstreak that should describe it for you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Baffles

VetDr,
Many of the Cobra pipes have baffles that are welded in, I know on the Cobra Slashcuts I had on my 800 this was the case, if so they are not adjustable. And if you did find a way to stuff some other kind of restrictor in there you would need to probably need to rejet carb or remap EFI. I went through this same thing with my 800. One thing I can tell you though, before you do anything rash, drive the bike for a week, as much as you can. At fifst the loudness will be overbearing but you will get use to it, I did'nt think it was possible and was sick with myself for spending so much money on these mods, I don't know why but your preception of sound will adjust itsself somewhat......give it a week.
Lonestar

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wuss.........you ask for it........wuss...... :wink: :wink: :p 8)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: Baffles

lonestar said:
I don't know why but your preception of sound will adjust itsself somewhat......give it a week.
Lonestar
Isn't that defined as deafness? What??? :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
302 Posts
pipes/loud

No not deafness, it's just such a shock and radical change at first. Usually if you can give it some time you can be more objective about it.( then if it's still too loud put your stock pipes back on)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can't speak to the street Cobra pipes, but on dirt bikes or quads, the primary difference over OEM pipes is a very disagreeable increase in decibals with little or no increase in air flow or performance. In fact some dyno studies showed a decrease in overall H.P. Most knowledgible offroaders avoid Cobras like the plague :cry:
Again, I don't have any info on their street pipes other than what I read on various forums, which mostly echos what you say.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

shoe is right - the wrong exhaust mod can decrease hp-i know i've down it :lol: - with drag pipes my sportster loses h/p but gains a tad of torque
with slip-on baffels the hp goes back up and the torque goes down

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: pipes/loud

lonestar said:
No not deafness, it's just such a shock and radical change at first. Usually if you can give it some time you can be more objective about it.( then if it's still too loud put your stock pipes back on)
Just a bit of a joke lonestar. :wink:

I agree that you can somewhat get used to them. I put V & H "Cruzers" on my VN800A and the difference was huge. They had a sharp sound that was annoying to MY ears, but they were LOUD. I Never really did get used to them. Just way too loud for my taste.

I wish there was a happy medium. Maybe the new quiet baffles will work out. I plan to stick with stock on my 1600 until I see some reviews.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LOUD PIPES

You are right, it seems like people everywhere are looking for pipes for looks-sound and preformace. But I guess you can't have all three without the noise. I asked V&H about a quiet baffle for the propipe and was told they have no intention of making one. They told me that if I tried to restrict the stock baffle anymore than it is then it will discolor the pipes and not run right. Maybe i'm just worrying about nothing because I don't even have them on the bike yet, but I know how dissapointing it can be to change your bikes whole makeup and then not be totally happy with the end result. Love the power-hate the noise.(maybe if I could manufactor the perfect pipes I could quit my job)
Lonestar

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: LOUD PIPES

lonestar said:
Love the power-hate the noise.(maybe if I could manufactor the perfect pipes I could quit my job)
Lonestar
I think if you came up with pipes that had a bit more character to the noise they emit, than stock, with almost no or minimal HP increases, you COULD quit your job. I could care less about a few additional HP. I don't plan to go the drag strip or street race. I would just like a little more rumble. :D

I think a lot of folks feel that way, but I could be wrong. Maybe someday one of the after market guys will see the light. :?

·
Registered
302 Posts
pipes

There is a very interesting website I've visited from The Netherlandswww.motorshopdemammoet.com that makes a product called the mammoet bypass for the Vulcan 1500 Classic & Meanie that gets rid of the cat. converter and makes the bike louder, they advertise it as a much better sound than stock- but with no power gains-If anyone is intrested in going that route- I think it's about half what pipes would cost.
Lonestar

·
Registered
837 Posts
yea...thats all i wanted was some rumble out of that v twin..really didnt care about more hp but i do like my v&h straight shots sound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
with most metrics i think riders care more about getting more sound and looks than the hp. nobody wants to lose it, but gains are a nice perk when you can get em. except for those who start off going crazy trying to have the fastest bike on the block. to each his own. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, metric, V-Twin, Exhaust = heaven....And I should know I have an 81 model that was released in 82....It is the first V-Twin Cruiser from Japan...thank you Yamaha....THANK YOU :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I first put my HardKromes on they were LOUD! I thought maybe too loud. But I noticed after a while that they weren't quite as loud as they were when brand new. Maybe the carbon build up helped damped them just enough.

That or I'm going deaf.

·
Registered
741 Posts
VulcanRebel said:
When I first put my HardKromes on they were LOUD! I thought maybe too loud. But I noticed after a while that they weren't quite as loud as they were when brand new. Maybe the carbon build up helped damped them just enough.

That or I'm going deaf.
What did you say??? :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts