Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HK's are just a tad too loud. They leave my ears ringing and I don't want my lovely pipes to give me significant hearing loss, so I'm thinking of trying some baffle mods.

There are a few baffles out there, but I'm thinking I can just pull mine out and wrap them in fiberglass. I don't want my pipes to sound as quiet as stock. Any advice people?

Oh and has anybody tried to lollipop their pipes?? This is supposively a trick used my racers to get more low end torque out of straight pipes. There are aftermarket baffles using the 'lollipop'. Basically all it is is a washer welded to the end of a bolt and placed inside the pipe- and it looks like a lollipop.

I'm unsure how the lollipop would perform in a louvered baffle and how it would effect the sound of the pipes. Just want to explore all my options before I start taking things apart.

Ph4tb0y

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
no idea from me Phatboy but I'll enjoy looking at the answer posts and expanding my overall knowledge

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Phatboy.....sorry....not sure what will work best. I dd find this on H/K's website (I'll bet you saw it) but perhaps a call to H/K will help with some suggestions for their pipes? 1-800-854-9134

Q: My pipes are great but I would like the option of being able to tone the sound down a little bit. Is there anything you offer for my pipes?

A: Excellent question. Our R&D department is hard at work trying to develop a baffle that will tone down our pipes while still maintaining a high level of performance associated with our Hard-Krome pipes. This process is taking a little longer than we had previously thought. We will update the website as soon as more information is available. Thank you for being patient.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the H/K kickers on my bike and I found them to be a tad loud also. I removed my baffles and cut the outer body with a hacksaw. I then packed silencer material as tight as I could get it around the core of the baffle. Then I went to a welding shop and had them Tig the baffle back together for me. Tig does not get hot enough to melt the packing. It took the sharp sound away, is noticably quieter while idling, but still barks when you get on the pipe. Power loss is questionable if any. Total Cost was around $30 and a little time.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i've seen the lollipops on some H/D pipes before and they worked!
but i did'nt get to see the install :-?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a baffle out and I think I'll have to do the same as Farlz- find a metal shop if I'm going to use the silencing packing.

I bought 2 eyelet bolts, 2 washers, and 4 nuts. With this $2.50 worth of material I can make lollipops. Weld/solder/superglue the washer to the bolt. Drill a hole in the baffle. Put 1 nut on, slip the bolt in the hole, put the other nut on. Thats the plan anyways.

The baffle creates air restriction with all the little louvered edges, the lollipop just creates a little more air restriction thus creating more backpressure. My hope is that this will quiet the pipe down a touch and create a little more torque. This still won't be as restrictive as the stock pipes. I figure it can't hurt anything. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Phatboy

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just saw on another forum where Dano (used to hang round here) did this mod. He installed the lollipop where the tips mount on his HK's- not exactly the ideal spot for aerodynamic/asthetic purposes, but reported a slight damping in the sound and a noticable difference in torque.

Looking good- I'll have mine in this weekend, not that it'll be warm enough to ride =(

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i think i'd get factory baffles for mine too-they don't really bother me,i just use earplugs on long rides,but yesterday we were riding a buddy on a duece
was riding slot behind me and he said they were really LOUD :p :p
i don't want them to bother other riders so if H/K comes out with some i'd
get them

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
I know what you're saying Bike. I have the HK Big Straights. My sister-in-law rode behind me all the way to Florida for Daytona and she wanted to kill me and my bike. :) I've since changed the gearing so highway RPMs are lower but I still set off car alarms going through town. :p

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I taste more than just turtle wax. Thats why I am Phatboy.

David 'Phatboy' Hertle

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

can't take credit for phat's title-although i like it! :grin:
one of the admins did it i guess

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I had V&H Straightshots on my 800A. The previous owner had unpacked the baffles, and the pipes were super loud. I bought some quiet baffles and wrapped them in fiberglass before I put them in. The sound was perfect--a nice low rumble that didn't deafen me.

Julie

·
Registered
67 Posts
I noticed while surfing last night that Motorcycle proshop.com has HK quiet baffles listed with part #'s and a spring '05 availability.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got to take the bike out for a spin and mission success!!!!

The pipes definately sound deeper and just a tad bit quieter.

Bolts, washers, nuts: $2.50
Drill bit: $3.00
Having the washer welded: $3.00

Taking the bike out and not having my ears ring afterwards: priceless

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I experimented with the density and tightness of the wrap and how far back in the baffle I started. After 3 gos I got the sound level I wanted without losing the low rumble. As a bonus the bike feels punchier and all popping vanished.

Thing is, the material tends to degrade with time.

Lollipop sounds a great idea. I gotta try it. Thanks.

(Suggest gloves and a mask and doing it outdoors for anyone working with fibreglass cloth. You don't want any of it in your lungs, eyes, etc.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts