Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a knocking noise coming from the left hand side so I took the left hand casing off to find my balancer dampers were worn and damaged (23,000 mile on the clock) took off the metal balancer and now, when I go to replace it with new dampers fitted ,realise that the dot on the balancer shaft which I have to align the balancer too is not there .
How on earth do I find out which is the correct way to line them up?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I can't imagine why the mark should not be present otherwise it would have been picked up at factory !

D in the picture....

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't imagine why the mark should not be present otherwise it would have been picked up at factory !

D in the picture....

There are some marks on the balancer shaft itself where the balancer has been loose which I am guessing have scrubbed it away.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Ummm screwed comes to mind and i don't mean the Bike !!

You need to find someone with another VN800 that's got the case off and can give you detailed info on where the Shaft/Balancer sits in relation to either number 1 or 2 cylinder TDC, And the chances of that are remote :(

Good luck :)

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
the marks are there, I'd almost bet a free assembly job on it. They are not all dots, nor are they all straight lines. I've seen a shaft with a dot and a balancer with a hash mark, and any other combination you may think of but I always found a mark once I scoured it with a scotchbrite pad lightly.

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the marks are there, I'd almost bet a free assembly job on it. They are not all dots, nor are they all straight lines. I've seen a shaft with a dot and a balancer with a hash mark, and any other combination you may think of but I always found a mark once I scoured it with a scotchbrite pad lightly.
Is there any way we can set the balancer up by lining up the marks from the opposite end of the balancer shaft? (clutch casing side).There are marks which line up will this give us the position of the balancer plate?

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You need to find someone with another VN800 that's got the case off and can give you detailed info on where the Shaft/Balancer sits in relation to either number 1 or 2 cylinder TDC, And the chances of that are remote :(

Hi chap just thought I'd let you know that I got it sorted it's quite an easy fix!
Basically you take of the right hand cover line up the timing marks at 12 noon and the top groove on the left hand side is where the timing mark should be,set the timing mark on the rotor / alternator to the mark on the balancer cog check they line up after a couple of rotations and bobbs yer uncle. ( I do have it written down properly)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey I know it's been a while but what Mark's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts