Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing my driver's backrest I realized how much I was really reaching for the bar. If I move the backrest up to where I can reach the bar comfortably and utilize the backrest, then I start running out of seat and my butt hurts! I was looking at risers, but to be honest, I'm not sure I'd like the bars to be any higher. Even when I'm driving my cage I don't like my hands to be up on the top half of the wheel as it makes my shoulders hurt. So I don't think I want any more rise than the stock bars , but would like more pullback.

Has anyone tried the Starbar or Nostalgia bar on a stock 1500 riser? Will either one of these bars bring the grips back and if so, about how much?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
After installing my driver's backrest I realized how much I was really reaching for the bar. If I move the backrest up to where I can reach the bar comfortably and utilize the backrest, then I start running out of seat and my butt hurts! I was looking at risers, but to be honest, I'm not sure I'd like the bars to be any higher. Even when I'm driving my cage I don't like my hands to be up on the top half of the wheel as it makes my shoulders hurt. So I don't think I want any more rise than the stock bars , but would like more pullback.

Has anyone tried the Starbar or Nostalgia bar on a stock 1500 riser? Will either one of these bars bring the grips back and if so, about how much?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!!
I hear what you're saying...

As there are many, many bars available, I'd recommend measuring the rise, pullback and width of your existing bars, and start comparing to the posted measurments of other bars listed catalogs or on the websites...they will all have rise/pullback/width measurments...find something tht matches your current rise/width, but with a bit more pullback...you can use your same risers.

As for the Barons Bars...I'm running the "Big Johnsons", which are essentially the StarBar but in 1-1/4 diamater. I love the width and pullback, but wish the rise was a bit flatter...

Good luck!

VulClass16

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear what you're saying...
As for the Barons Bars...I'm running the "Big Johnsons", which are essentially the StarBar but in 1-1/4 diamater. I love the width and pullback, but wish the rise was a bit flatter...

Good luck!

VulClass16
The Starbar has a 2" shorter rise, 1.5" less pullback, and 3" more width than the stock bar from what I can tell. I wonder if that extra width would put the bars back that extra inch or so that I'm looking for?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Star Bars...

A wider bar, with less pullback (than your stock bar) might actually pull/lean you forward even more...imagine having to "reach out", wider ,to grip the bars...I think the only way to "move you back" is with aftermarket risers, (depending on the style, will generally move the bars back towards you) or an aftermarket bar, with more pullback.

VulClass16

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
^^^^^ +1

"Pullback" is the distance from the risers to the grips. Less pullback is less pullback, regardless of bar width.

What will happen with the wider bars is it will put the "inside" grip into your thigh and put the "outside" grip out of reach when you're trying to pull a u-turn or get into a parking space.

I love the look of "beach cruiser" bars, but they really can be impractical.

I would suggest some of the shorter kickback risers, which will effectively increase pullback on your stock bars. You can always rotate the bars to lower the grips, but that will also affect the angle of your wrist... may be more comfortable, may be less comfortable.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with short risers is that I may not get enough pullback, and I still get a height increase. I could rotate the bars down, but like Rich said, I may run into angle problems. That's easy enough to try at this point. I still think some different bars might be the way to go. I wish I knew someone around here with a 1500 that had risers on so I could try them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts