Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day

I am enjoying my 2002 Meanstreak and while I get the user manual I have a very basic question.

1- I assume that there is no reserve valve in this one. Am I correct? If there is, where is it?

2- Once the gas warning light comes on, how much gas is left in the tank?

3- About what milage should I expect from this baby?

Many thanks and happy new year.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Jade,

I'm guessing you have the service manual on the way. If not, I recommend it. It should be aroung $60 or so from the Kawasaki site. You are correct. There is no reserve for fuel injection. The low fuel warning light seems to come early but I've heard it gets better with more miles. As for your mileage, you'll need to keep good records for a while and experiment a bit to figure out your mileage per tank and what you want to use for a reserve. I'm still in the initial break in period for mine but I'm averaging around 35-44 with a lot of different engine speeds, rpm's, and different gears. Lugging or extended same speeds are not good for break-in. Ennjoy your great bike.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My 02 M/S has about 14000 miles and the fuel light usually comes on steady around 140 miles. It rarely takes as much as 3 gallons to fill it. I just now filled it before the light came on and the mileage was 50.3 mpg. Actually a little lower than usual. I ride mostly HWY and with a lesser amount in towns with very little stop & go.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ive got 2500 miles on a 03 and the light comes on and off around 120 to130 miles I filled up on sun. at 137 miles and it took 3.7 gals. I do about 60 to 65% hwy. so with about 0.8 left im looking at about 150 miles but very nervous looking for a fuel stop. good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
My 1600 sputtered at 175 miles and I put 5.2 gallons in the 5.3 gal tank. I've remapped since then and would expect to get a few more miles out of her now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

It is right on target with what I have been seeing. Being used to the gage on the V-strom and the Bandit, where there is an actual scale, I feel like I am going back to the 80's when my Yamaha Special had no gas gage at all. But knowing an average range is really helpful.

Thanks a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts