Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 09 custom 900 with belt drive. My other bikes have all been shaft drives. I have found nothing in the owners manual regarding gear oil change. Is that not necessary with a belt drive??? Not much of a mechanical person but like to do what I can and this is a great place to learn about motorcycle maintenance.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
No gears, just bearings. Nothing to change, but, the engine/trans oil.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Only oil on this bike you need to change is the engine oil. The engine and transmission are a combined unit and thus ue the same oil. To make a very braod statment alot of use are using Mobil 1 synthetic. Some use the "car" type in the silver bottles and some of us (me included) use the V-Twin black bottle stuff. Others are sold on Amsol or Royal Purple. Search the fourms here for Oil and youll be reading until your grand kids, kids graduate from college. So look it up sort thru what looks like viable info for your situation and decide. But in my experience the best oil is clean oil that meets specs. Enjoy your new ride, I do mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Jackson for your quick reply. I was assuming that was the case but wanted to make sure!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts