Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had a lesson in basic bike maintence, cleaning the chain, checking the lubes, oil change, air pressure etc.
I fiqured what ever I can do on my own will make me a better rider, and save me some $$$ !!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Excellent, Ninjagirl, thats what seperates bikers from riders. Ya save money and know the job is done right, plus it helps you learn more about your bike. you'd be surprised at how often the training between you and the wrench turner at most shops is not that much difference.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's right. Be brave and try to do it yourself. Bikes are easier to maintain and repair than cars. And like Whitey said, you'll learn a lot about the bike. You can use a lot of that same knowledge when it comes time for car repairs. And if you decide to let a mechanic do some work for you, you're a lot less likely to get ripped off if you understand a thing or two.

A few years ago I had a truck that needed the engine rebuilt. It would have cost in the neighborhood of $1,000. But I only paid $750 for the truck, and I didn't really think it was worth sinking $1,000 into it. So instead I did the job myself. I was motivated because I really had nothing to lose. The truck was worth almost nothing with a blown engine, so even if I messed it up, I really would have lost nothing.

So my advice is, line up a backup plan (a spare car, or maybe a helpful boyfriend). As long as that backup plan is in place, you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing your own work. And you'll save a ton on what the dealer will charge you for service. Besides, most of what you need to do on a new bike is not that hard anyway, as long as you're patient and careful. The valve adjustment might be a lot for a beginner, but you can try that, too if you're brave. If you have any questions, be sure to ask here. These guys are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Curt

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whitey said:
Excellent, Ninjagirl, thats what seperates bikers from riders. Ya save money and know the job is done right, plus it helps you learn more about your bike. you'd be surprised at how often the training between you and the wrench turner at most shops is not that much difference.
Why thank you.....I just hope I don't break a nail!! :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
269 Posts
LMAO, considering your choice in motivation I diffinetly don't believe you are that shallow, now getting the grease from under your nails will be a problem we all share. :lol:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curt said:
That's right. Be brave and try to do it yourself. Bikes are easier to maintain and repair than cars. And like Whitey said, you'll learn a lot about the bike. You can use a lot of that same knowledge when it comes time for car repairs. And if you decide to let a mechanic do some work for you, you're a lot less likely to get ripped off if you understand a thing or two.

A few years ago I had a truck that needed the engine rebuilt. It would have cost in the neighborhood of $1,000. But I only paid $750 for the truck, and I didn't really think it was worth sinking $1,000 into it. So instead I did the job myself. I was motivated because I really had nothing to lose. The truck was worth almost nothing with a blown engine, so even if I messed it up, I really would have lost nothing.

So my advice is, line up a backup plan (a spare car, or maybe a helpful boyfriend). As long as that backup plan is in place, you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing your own work. And you'll save a ton on what the dealer will charge you for service. Besides, most of what you need to do on a new bike is not that hard anyway, as long as you're patient and careful. The valve adjustment might be a lot for a beginner, but you can try that, too if you're brave. If you have any questions, be sure to ask here. These guys are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Curt
Thanks, awesome thread response!!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've learned how to do so much on my bike. Its getting nearly time for me to do a valve adjustment on the 'ol 500, but I need $$ for some specialty tools first.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
:shock: A Woman who drives a motorcycle AND maintains it...... Where can a guy find more women like you? :lol:

I'd have to agree with everyone here, if you ride, you should be able to do the general maintainance yourself. It's just a matter of taking the time to do what needs to be done. It also helps you appreciate the bike more also.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rlovrin1 said:
:shock: A Woman who drives a motorcycle AND maintains it...... Where can a guy find more women like you? :lol:

I'd have to agree with everyone here, if you ride, you should be able to do the general maintainance yourself. It's just a matter of taking the time to do what needs to be done. It also helps you appreciate the bike more also.
Where can I find a "guy" that appreciates a "girl" like me??!!! :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rlovrin1 said:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
rlovrin1 said:

I think you found more of them than you could ever imagine.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Freakinout said:
NinjaGirl said:
rlovrin1 said:

I think you found more of them than you could ever imagine.

THANKS GUYS!!! :wink: :D :wink: :D :wink:

·
Registered
456 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
You could check the singles ads, like this one:
"Single male interested in motorcycling. Wants to meet single woman with bike. Please send picture . . . of bike."

Now if you're ever in Minnesota, I'll ride with you. And if you don't have your bike, you can ride on the back of mine. But when it comes to a relationship, I'm all talk. I really don't need another woman in my life, although your profile is definitely interesting.
Curt

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Curt said:
NinjaGirl said:
You could check the singles ads, like this one:
"Single male interested in motorcycling. Wants to meet single woman with bike. Please send picture . . . of bike."

Now if you're ever in Minnesota, I'll ride with you. And if you don't have your bike, you can ride on the back of mine. But when it comes to a relationship, I'm all talk. I really don't need another woman in my life, although your profile is definitely interesting.
Curt

1 - 20 of 36 Posts