Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Quick question. It doesn't relate to a Kawi (unfortunately), but I'm really looking for some input here.

Just picked up a used Honda VT1100C for a friend who needed a decent mode of transportation. It's proving great in every respect with the exception of the cooling system. When left idling for an extended period after the test ride, we noted steam venting from the coolant reservoir overflow tube as well as heard a boiling noise. On the advice of one other the other buyers who is a mechanic (it's to be a joint gift from a group), we went ahead with the purchase, using this defect to negotiate the price down.

Now he is to start inspecting the bike in the next day or two, but I personally am curious myself as to what component should be closely looked at for replacing. For the record, the fan mounted behind the raditator has come on.

Thanks in advance. 8)

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Well the fan works so I'd probably flush the radiator to make sure it's clean then refil. Not sure on that bike but some have dual temp sensors in case the primary fails the seconday kicks in at the high end of the temp range to prevent engine dmg. If it still overheats after the flush I'd start looking at the temp switch. Oh, you might also get a new radiator cap for it. Thats my .02

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
+1 on rad cap

Def. do a flush first though. Whats making me think the cap is bad is the fact you said you got steam coming out the overflow, meaning that your coolant reserve is boiling over. There's no reason why your coolant should ever boil unless you're in bumper to bumper traffic in Arizona in July :p

EDIT: I just read it was after extended idling it did this but still is odd. Not really familiar with the 1100 though (at all lol)

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Compression check, possible head gasket.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Should have a water pump on it too. Could check and/or replace that.

And don't forget the old thermostat. I've never had heating problems with a bike, but assume the cooling system is like a car's. This may sound silly, but they do have thermostats, right?

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
They have a water pump and a thermostat. You didn't say what year it is, let me know, I will try and help if I can.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Also be sure that the fan blades are not loose on the shaft.
I had a pal bring me his pickup to look at once, as it overheated in traffic, and although the fan turned, the blades slipped on the shaft, causing it to turn too slowly.
Once we replaced the fan it was fine.

Just wanted to mention it is all, as it could happen.

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Am passing it on. BTW, tis a 1987 model.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Will look it up on the fiche and see what all could go wrong. I'm bored to death here at work~!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
If it does end up being the radiator cap, replace the cap, the the cover, and the case. Price on these run about $150.00.

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Tina. Thx for the suggestions (and to everyone elses as well). My mechanic friend has yet to start anything on this, so maybe you can help me here.

I got in contact with previous owner, and he said he was aware of the coolant levels being low. A visual inspection just confirmed this. He also stated there were no previously known problems with the water pump or thermostat, so he recommended topping it off. I'm about to head out and get some Prestone 50/50 mix for aluminum engines. Problem is, I can't identify WHERE to fill the reservoir from. ( :lol: I am so mechanically NOT inclined :lol: ). I'm going to post some pics momentarily. Perhaps you can point me where to go?

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Seat removed ( a Corbin, too :biggrin: ). Now right underneath this boohickie...)

Is the reservoir...

Now WHERE'S the friggin cap?

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
The res. has a hose with two bends in it, then a cap. All I can see is fiche, I don't have a manual to look at. See if you can find a hose conn. to the res. and follow.

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah. Think I found it. Black cap by the right passenger foot peg ( sure as heck ain't the oil filler cap ;) ). Again, thx, Tina.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Ah. Think I found it. Black cap by the right passenger foot peg ( sure as heck ain't the oil filler cap ;) ). Again, thx, Tina.[/QUO

SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!!!!!You'll ruin my rep as a dumb blonde! :biggrin:

If you need anything else, let me know. ;)

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah. Think I found it. Black cap by the right passenger foot peg ( sure as heck ain't the oil filler cap ;) ). Again, thx, Tina.[/QUO

SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!!!!!You'll ruin my rep as a dumb blonde! :biggrin:
:lol: Can you recommend a good hair dye so I can physically live up to the part? :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts