Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to start a discussion. What is your definition of a 'basket case'?
Or 'casket case'?
Saturday night humour only.
I bought a motorcycle and it came with a basket of unattached parts. Basket case No. 1.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
What an abused bike that was. Superb job on restoration!

Definition of a basket case? Hmmmm. Well to me it means the engine has been taken apart and arrives in a box or basket. We used to see basket cases arrive where an owner had attempted to fix it and gave up. They would bring it to us to "finish" the job they started. Our first question was always "Are all of the parts there?". The answer from the owner was always yes, but seldom was that answer true.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Exactly! It inevitably takes longer to re-assemble something complex that you did not dis-assemble and add to that the start/stop nature of the process when missing parts are involved.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats it with basket cases, you have a vision of what it should look like, I always document the work in pictures and file it once it's over, but love the journey :)
(but a Honda)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a BSA 650 in a box and brought it home in the back of a mate's car. It was so bad even the frame had been chopped around but I didn't know as it was my first venture into restoring bikes and I'd never owned a British bike.
7 years, £4,700 later and after a very steep learning curve I got it on the road... It now lives in the house.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jonno, I suspect you are referring to some 'people' being such. 1980's prices ha ha very funny.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Off topic slightly, but I was at a bike show a few years ago and there was a trader selling an RD500LC for £5,000 (yup, that long ago...) and a visitor to the show walked up with his good lady and exclaimed in a loud voice "£5,000??? I wouldn't pay that much! They weren't that expensive when they were new".
I often wonder what he thinks about prices now. 😂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts