Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled my 07 900LT apart to do its first valve clearance inspection. It has 16000 miles on it. What I found is very surprising. Have a read of this...

With the crankshaft turned to TDC for the front cylinder, using the marking indicator as spec'd in the Service Manual, I found ZERO clearance in the front cylinder, on all valves. I kept measuring right down to my smallest guage of 0.02mm, and it still didn't fit.

Strangely as well, the rocker arm would not move off to the side, it was tight against the shims. Something was VERY wrong.

I decided (in my puzzled state) to adjust the crankshaft to the TDC for the rear cylinder and re-check the front clearances. Sure enough, all four were within the spec tolerance.

It looks like whoever built this engine put the indicators wrong by 180 degrees. I' going to check the rear cylinder clearances tomorrow, just to verify they are correct, and I will hopefully have to use the TDC indicator for the FRONT cylinder when I do it.

Very odd, I must admit. There is no way that the motor could have survived at zero clearance.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Was the line on the cam chain sprocket parallel with the top of the head? The TDC mark is the same for both cylinders. You keep turning until the line on the cam sprocket is level AND the crankshaft is at TDC. (At least that is how it is on my 800, but I imagine its the same for the 900)

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Even though it says TDC its not. Its only there once every 2 revolutions of the engine. If you can't move the rocker arm side to side you're not at TDC. I believe TDC is at the start of the intake stroke. At this point you can move the rocker arm.

I did mine for my first time, the bikes second time, this summer and this is what I noticed. Hope this helps.

Oh and this might be a dumb question.... but you are rotating the motor the right direction right?? I think it was a counter clock wise direction if I remember correctly. Dont have the manual in front of me to be sure.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Even though it says TDC its not. Its only there once every 2 revolutions of the engine. If you can't move the rocker arm side to side you're not at TDC. I believe TDC is at the start of the intake stroke. At this point you can move the rocker arm.

I did mine for my first time, the bikes second time, this summer and this is what I noticed. Hope this helps.

Oh and this might be a dumb question.... but you are rotating the motor the right direction right?? I think it was a counter clock wise direction if I remember correctly. Dont have the manual in front of me to be sure.
You cannot turn the engine the wrong direction easily. The starter clutch engages and makes it a bear to turn

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
It's a four-stroke engine. Each cylinder has two TDC's per cam revolution. For valve adjustment you need to be set at TDC after the intake valve closes, before the exhaust valve opens. Otherwise you're 180 degrees out.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
It's a four-stroke engine. Each cylinder has two TDC's per cam revolution. For valve adjustment you need to be set at TDC after the intake valve closes, before the exhaust valve opens. Otherwise you're 180 degrees out.
+1.

Only at TDC on the compression stroke are all valves fully closed.
Otherwise you have an intake, or exhaust open.

I never worry about the timing marks, if your just using a feelere gauge to check, just do whatever valves are closed and you can see the lobes up, and then turn it and do the next ones.
Its impossible on most bikes, cars etc to have all valves closed at once.
I just did an inline 4 last night, and i just do a cylinder, and then turn it a little to the next one and keep going.
As long as you write it all down, so you remember what the clearances are it really does not matter.
If you go to remove the cam(s) to change shims then be sure all the marks are at TDC so you can assure its all correct at reassembly time.

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was the line on the cam chain sprocket parallel with the top of the head? The TDC mark is the same for both cylinders. You keep turning until the line on the cam sprocket is level AND the crankshaft is at TDC. (At least that is how it is on my 800, but I imagine its the same for the 900)
Thanks for all the replies, mcwrath you were exactly right. I've got the TDC on the crankshaft perfectly positioned now as well as the indicator line on the sprocket parallel with the cylinder head.

Great info for a first timer.

Ersterhernd

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
So if I under stand this you need to be TDC on the compression stroke.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
So if I under stand this you need to be TDC on the compression stroke.
yes.
Compression for the cylinder you are currently checking.

On motorbikes its generally easy, s most ( not all ) only have up to 4 cylinders.
Its harder when doing cars and trucks with 6,8,10,12 cylinders..........but the same principal.
You just keep rotating it via a wrench on the crankshaft bolt, and just write it all down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts