Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up the battery tender jr. today from Iron Pony for 29.99.

Do i leave the battery hooked up til riding season?
Im thinking im probaby going to take the battery out and bring it inside sine my storage spot is not heated.

thoughts?

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
Leave it out in the garage(or storage area) hooked up to the tender, cold weather won't hurt it as long as you have it plugged in and charged up. You don't want it in the house(dangerous gases). If it is the type you can add water to, check it once in a while to make sure its full.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wouldn't keep it hooked up all the time. And I would bring it inside. Just throw it in the basement or something out of the freezing temperatures. Hook the battery up for a day or two once a month to keep it topped off, but having it inside will keep the battery from draining too much. Leaving it on all the time is just a waste of electricity. Make sure you leave it on for a few days immediately before putting it back in the bike.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
The whole point of buying a battery tender is to hook it up and forget it. Leave it in the bike and leave it on. I've done this for years. :)

·
Scootter_man
157 Posts
So many still get confused about the difference of a tender and a charger. They are so much designed differntly. A tender has solid state build in them to regulate and monitor the condition of a battery. These are ment to be plugged in during off season riding. A charger just supplies a regulated current to a battery to yield its voltage to higher. I have a tender on my zephur and harley during off season. I'm into my fourth year on these batts.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
So many still get confused about the difference of a tender and a charger. They are so much designed differntly. A tender has solid state build in them to regulate and monitor the condition of a battery. These are ment to be plugged in during off season riding. A charger just supplies a regulated current to a battery to yield its voltage to higher. I have a tender on my zephur and harley during off season. I'm into my fourth year on these batts.
Exactly.

I've used my tender for many years and leave it plugged into the bikes all winter. Never had a problem and so far, I'm still on my original battery on my Mean Streak which I bought in 02.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The whole point of a battery tender IS to leave it plugged it.. the idea is to be hassle free. Read on the BT website about its features. Thats one of its selling points. Plug in and forget about it.. Anything else is treating a Battery Tender like a regular old battery charger. The BT does NOT over charge and it designed for cold weather use. to unplug it and only plug it in certain times of the day defeats the whole purpose of buying a BT in the first place...

chris

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
The whole point of a battery tender IS to leave it plugged it.. the idea is to be hassle free. Read on the BT website about its features. Thats one of its selling points. Plug in and forget about it.. Anything else is treating a Battery Tender like a regular old battery charger. The BT does NOT over charge and it designed for cold weather use. to unplug it and only plug it in certain times of the day defeats the whole purpose of buying a BT in the first place...

chris
This is my understanding also. Keep the battery fully "maintained" and it's storage ability will be retained longer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thats the whole reason i bought a BT... No hassle and proper maintance. Plug in and forget about it. I have been using mine for a few years now. I have a Unheated garage and its been great. my BT has a temp sensor. i dont have the Jr model.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats the whole reason i bought a BT... No hassle and proper maintance. Plug in and forget about it. I have been using mine for a few years now. I have a Unheated garage and its been great. my BT has a temp sensor. i dont have the Jr model.
This was the impression that i had of the BT, but had some different opinions when i asked

thanks guys

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would leave it plugged in, most new batteries are sealed and should not have to add water to them. Battery tenders are designed to go on a trickle charge when they aren't charging and won't overcharge or overheat your battery causing it to evaporate the water/acid. i made the mistake of not leaving my tender plugged in all my "down" time and my battery wouldn't hold a charge this last spring, had to replace my 1 year old battery,or risk trying to bump start a Nomad. BB

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Leave it out in the garage(or storage area) hooked up to the tender, cold weather won't hurt it as long as you have it plugged in and charged up. You don't want it in the house(dangerous gases). If it is the type you can add water to, check it once in a while to make sure its full.
The first reply is correct.

Leave it outside and plugged in all the time.

That is not to say that if you unplug it for a few days now and then to say use the cord for something else it will hurt it, as it won't.

But as a general rule you just leave them plugged in.
The tender is not like the old manual chargers, that just keep trying to charge, the tender sense a regulator.....and it knows when the battery is topped off and shuts itself off.

The tenders are awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts