Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery in my'04 1600 Mean Streak took a crap when I left the key on all night. So I decided to get a Yuasa replacement battery. When I pulled the old one out of the bike I saw that it was an 18aH battery and the Yuasa was a 14aH. Does 4 amp hours make a difference? Is it safe to put this battery in my bike? This is the battery that Yuasa recommended for my bike.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
it will be fine. if you live in a very cold climate you MAY run into a small problem.
kinda curious though. whats the #'s on the batteries ? (ex. YTX8B)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QKENUF4U said:
it will be fine. if you live in a very cold climate you MAY run into a small problem.
kinda curious though. whats the #'s on the batteries ? (ex. YTX8B)
The stock one is FTZ16-BS and the Yuasa is YTX16-BS. And I'm in Phoenix, I don't think we have a problem with cold here :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yep, you're fine. 18aH is better than 14aH because that gives you more cranking before the battery is dead. I don't know of any reason that the 18aH would do worse in cold weather. I would think that the 18aH is better in every way.
Curt

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
siasmaster said:
The stock one is FTZ16-BS and the Yuasa is YTX16-BS. And I'm in Phoenix, I don't think we have a problem with cold here :)
those are actually the same amp hour from looking at the #'s on the batteries. the #16 is your amp/hr from what ive been taught in school (MMI) now the rate they want it charged could be different

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QKENUF4U said:
siasmaster said:
those are actually the same amp hour from looking at the #'s on the batteries. the #16 is your amp/hr from what ive been taught in school (MMI) now the rate they want it charged could be different
I'm an MMI alumni, it's just been awhile since i've looked over my clinic 4 notes.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Battery

It will charge at the same rate...the 18Amp Hour battery is ust like havig a larger battery, that's all. I like to use the thin closed cell plastic sheets to wrap my battery in or at least set it on inside to protect it from heat and vibration... Even if the recommendation was 16 an dyou installed a 14AH battery you should be okay as long as you don't leave the ignition on, or get into some severe cold weathere starting. Keeping the bike in good running order and changingthe plugs etc you should not have any problems...

·
Registered
102 Posts
The 14Ah rating is a reserve rating. There is a seperate cranking rating, and cold starts are ONLY really dependent on the cranking rating. Of course, they are both dependent on the makeup of the battery, but I've used 13Ah batteries on cars, so there is no way to really say you'll have an issue with cold starts.

If you look for a cranking amp or cold cranking amp rating on the battery, or an output impedance, that will give you some idea of whether it will affect your ability to start the bike.

But I doubt it will, you should be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts