Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike (500R) has what I think is the original battery in it. I have filled it with tap water twice now. LOL My friend's 500R had a sealed battery in it, but we removed it when we saw how it was installed. The battery is just a tiny bit too tall to fit right and the terminals were not in the correct location. There was no bolt holding the electronic pack over the battery and the was scotch TAPE involved. We got him a new old school lead acid battery and put that in. The problem is that all of the sealed batteries I have seen on the net are the same height, which is too high. What are you all using in your 500R's? I am gonna need a new one soon I would say. I filled it again today with tap water (hard as **** too in FL), as the cells were like DRY. What do you say?

CB

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
since YOU ruined your battery yourself then yes you will need one soon more than likely. you NEVER use tap water you use DISTILLED WATER ONLY.
but anyways theres no reason you can use a normal old style battery. nothing special about sealed batteries.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QKENUF4U said:
since YOU ruined your battery yourself then yes you will need one soon more than likely. you NEVER use tap water you use DISTILLED WATER ONLY.
Duh that is why I made the joke. Who cares about the battery? It is like $30, whatever. What the real question is is why are all the sealed ones available the wrong height, ever though they say they are the right one for the 500R?

CB

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sometimes manufacturers make model changes mid season and do not tell the accessories folks and then they have bad information. Also a larger/smaller battery may fit????

Sorry you learned the hard way about the battery, but tap water is just to hard and has too many minerals in it vs distilled which is better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1Adam12 said:
Sorry you learned the hard way about the battery
Thanks for the sympathy, but the darn thing still works. That is why I was laughing. Twice I put tap water in there now and what do you know, it still works.

What I am dying to know is who has replaced their 500R battery?

CB

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A battery will run on tap water, but it is going to a slow death....

Can't help you on the 500 specifically so hopefully one of the mods will jump in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try taking the bike to a dealer and trying different batteries. The important part is the terminal location and cranking amps. As long as the battery has the proper fittings and the correct amperage, and it fits in the box, it will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts