Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a winch on my Mule 610. It still has the original battery and still cranks well. When I ordered my winch I was going to order the 2500 but was talked into getting the 4000. I noticed on the winch sites the model specific kits showed the 2500 for the 610 Mule. Still I figured I was going to be sure if in a bind I had enough power. Now testing it for the first time today I realize I don't have enough battery for a pull if the Mule is locked down. The winch should be able to pull the Mule with all 4 wheels locked but it drew the battery down quick even with it still running. Had to charge the battery to roll the cable back in. Has anyone experienced this???? and what kind of battery would give me the power I need to operate this winch??? I read where some have gone with the Lawn mower batteries, do they have more amps then the original 610 battery. I know 12 Amps isn't much but winch site said it would operate on a 12 amp. battery which it does but under a load drains it quickly.

HelpPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

John

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
First, I would not operate the winch without the engine running to keep a charge flowing. Next, I would never attempt to pull one locked in gear, that can lead to breakage in the transaxle or front differential.

Keep in mind that a 4,000 pound rated winch is only rated that at the first wrap of the drum, it falls off to around 1,800 pounds by the time you are several wraps out. You were properly advised to go with the heavier duty and rating winch.

Regarding the battery, go to a site like BatteryStuff and take a look at their battery sizes and ratings. Then measure your battery compartment and stuff the largest and highest rating battery you can find that will fit within your ability to modify the space.

If you are brave, really modify the battery box and stuff in a full size red top Odyssey.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts