Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I need a battery charger for the winter.
I have 2 bikes and I would like to charge the battery in my riding mower also. Will a Battery tender do that. I also read somewhere about one that Sears has. Does anyone know if you can put more than one battery at a time on the chargers and if you can leave them in the bike.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a trickle charger conected to my Raptor quad right now and it keeps the battery at a safe charge level. I know of no charger that will charge multiple batteries simultaneously. I always charge my bike or truck batteries while installed. I think Walmart carries trickle chargers. Check Walmart.com

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I always get good advice here

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I have three running motorcycles, several lawn mowers, two cars and a truck.....we rotate charging the batteries of the things that don't run daily every couple weeks. Works OK and all the batteries stay good.

Heather

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link and the advice. I am going shopping. I think I saw Battery Tenders on Cruiser Customizing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was watching 2 Wheel Tuesday or something this weekend. There is a trickle charger out there that you can hook up, up to 4 batteries. I forget who made it but it is out there. It also comes with 4 six foot wires for use.
I will do so more research and let everyone know for sure.

Ken

More research is done. Sorry this is not from beartooth.
http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm1/engineparts-chargers-table.htm
This place has a 10 port for about $650 and a 4 port for about $260. Sounds like the 4 port would be a good investment.

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
my bike is going to be stored about a month and I have a trickle charger. do I have to take the battery out of the bike or can I just leave it in when I charge it. thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Battery charging

The number of batteries you can charge at one time depends on the output of the charger. If you have a 6 amp trickle charger and it is putting out only 2 amps in order to keep the batteries topped off, then 1 amp will go into each battery, unless one battery needs more of a charge. I have a Sears 2 amp charger. I put it on a timer and it goes on for a half an hour a day. Just to keep the surface charge there for the winter. Thats all you need. I take it out of the bike for safety sake. But as long as you have a charger that puts out enough amperage, you could connect as many batteries as you like. They will all eventually come to the same level of charge.

·
Registered
110 Posts
hey one other recommendation for chargers. go to
http://www.kisantech.com
and check out the charge-guard. The thing is solid-state circuitry about the size of a stick of gum that you just attach to your bike and leave - no messing around with battery leads. Plus if you feel like forking out the bucks, you can get an LCD screen to go with it that shows voltage, amperage, etc. Pretty neat stuff!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Ispeed, The quick disconnect sound great.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
i think some other people on here have done it, that's where i got the idea. would work great with such a small system. just leave the cord in the garage and plug in when needed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Trickle charge for how long

Hey guys,
This is my first post. There's a lot of interesting information on this forum. My question is: I have a battery for my 800 Classic and one for my Nomad. I want to trickle charge them (they're stored inside for the winter), but don't know how long I should leave them on the charger for. I have a 1A trickle charger and my batteries are as follows: YTX14-BS (registers 12.50 on my voltmeter) and a FTZ16-BS (registers 12.45 on the voltmeter). The first one is for the Classic and the second one is for the Nomad. I'm pretty new at this and I've heard different stories, some say to trickle charge every month and others say just do it once in the middle of the winter and it'll be fine. Don't know which one to listen to, plus no one said how long to leave it on the charger for.
Looking forward to your thoughts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts