Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new petcock incorrectly, drained the battery trying to start it. I dont have a charger, I was wondering if I could hook it up to my car, engine off, or on, or what other options I have, short of buying a new batt. Thanks, any sugestions welcome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well i member when my battery went dead i took it to autozone and the guys in there charged it for me for 10 bucks havnt had problem sence,Just a suggestion!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Yes, you can hook it up to your car/truck, if its a small battery on the other vehicle I'd suggest have it running too. bikes and cars are both 12V so you shouldn't have problems jump starting it.

(I've done it quite a few times)

·
Registered
25 Posts
my bike was sitting for a good 2-3 months before i bought it, battery was dead as a door nob... no lights turned on NOTHING.. i pushed started that bitch and the stater charged it up in 2 minutes of riding. my bike also hates az with all its heart so it trys to over heat alot and i leave it off for minutes at stop lights with headlight on brake lights on neutral light on and turn signal light on all at the same time and it still starts beautifully

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ELECTRICAL

YOu take a vehicle witha true dead short battery, start it and you will fry or charging system. I fried an alternator on my van (DOH) I forgot that the battery in it (disconnected) was the dead one. IF you are going to jump a vehicle you should make sure that the car is off...actually if you want to see if your battery will cahrge up you could leave them BOTH off and let it set for 5-10 minutes and just check the cable to make sure that it doesn't get ht of worse yet loke a toaster hot(DEAD SHORT). then leave the car off and start the bike...IF the battery has any charge on it at all. IF the battery on the bike is a dead short and you try to jump it you could blow it up LITERALLY! ACID PLASTIC PLATES>>>NOT PRETTY!
IF in doubt and you don't want to buy a battery at least put a battery tender on it if it is going to have to set. IF it dows go down I would seriously want another battery anyway...they are relatevely cheap compared to charging systems, and the mess of a clean up, corrosive acid...all over... and you will find that BAKING SODA will neutralize the acid should you get some on the floor or on your skin...clothing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I say fix your petcock, and jump start from a car if one is handy. If not, push the bike down a hill (with the key on and you sitting in the saddle), put it in first and let out the clutch fast. Be ready to grab the clutch again once it starts, and use the choke to keep it running.

Total discharging is hard on batteries, so if you have a dead battery tomorrow, you might need a new one anyway.
Curt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dead Battery

if you try to jumpstart using jumper leads, your bike from the car/van, disconnect the battery from the car first, you stand a very good chance of frying the reg/rectifier unit on the bike, and dont keep turning the bike over for longer than 15 seconds at a time, your burn the jumperleads or your battery out. leave them to cool for a couple of mins between each go.good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Curt said:
I say fix your petcock, and jump start from a car if one is handy. If not, push the bike down a hill (with the key on and you sitting in the saddle), put it in first and let out the clutch fast. Be ready to grab the clutch again once it starts, and use the choke to keep it running.

Total discharging is hard on batteries, so if you have a dead battery tomorrow, you might need a new one anyway.
Curt

Like he said, just clutch start it. I had to do it the other day. My driveway is on enough of a hill to roll down. I had the choke on, barely let the clutch out and it started right up. Pull the clutch back in after it turns over and sparks. Put it in neutral, let it warm up, drive it around the block, battery should be all charged (as long as it isn't killed from being drained).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
JUMP START

As long as the car is not running your bike will not ruin the charging system on either vehicle..yours or the car. Instead of using first try using second as it turns over easier...just make sure that the ignition switch is on, the kickstand is up it's in second gear, the choke is also on, and the clutch is pulled in before you let off of the front brake and start the coast. Once you get it started pull the clutch in go to neutral, keep the throttle up and remove the choke...have your gear on before you do this and you can cruise around the block...just don't let it die for the first 20 minutes and it should be fully charged when you get back to the house!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts