Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has come up before but my search failed to pull up anything useful.
I have had my Vulcan 500 for a few months now and I have gone through at least 4 batteries in that time. When I first got the bike I didn't have much of a problem but now every time I get on the thing with a freshly charged battery it's dead in 45 minutes max. Unfortunately I have very little knowledge of engines so I don't even have the slightest clue what sort of recharging system Vulcans have. Can anybody help me with this?
Thanks,
Mike

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
FIRST AND FOREMOST !!---------> GET A SERVICE MANUAL SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT IM ABOUT TO TELL YOU

if your loosing batteries left and right then the bike is NOT CHARGING AT ALL. its just like when you loose the alternator on your car, it runs off the battery till its dead then you are stranded.
first- make sure you are charging the batteries correctly,check both cable are clean/tight,make sure battery if FULL OF DISTILLED WATER
second- make sure the bike is actually charging the battery (voltmeter at the battery posts @ non-running , idle, and reving to 3k rpm)
non-running= 12v +
idle = 12.5+
3k rpm = 13.?+
if the volts go UP as you start/rev the bike then its working fine, (from the sounds of it, the volts will NOT go anywhere)
so now you need to check a couple other things.
1. output of stator
2. regulator/rectifier working correctly (more volt meter tests that will be in the newly aquired SERVICE MANUAL :wink: )

good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts