Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woe is me!

Had the battery on my 800 attached to a tender until last week. I fired her up after I added some fuel stabilizer and ran it for a bit then I switched the tender over to the wifes Sportster.

Yesterday it was finally warm enough to ride (38 degrees and zero wind). Pulled out the bike and after one try the battery was dead. I have had it hooked back up for 24 hours now and still it is not fully charged. :frown:

I bought the battery last year so this is really irritating me. On top of it all I am trying to sell her and everyone knows that bikes that start are much more appealing, hehe.

My only thought is that running the fuel additive through for 20 minutes ran the battery down enough that it died over the following week. Just doesn't seem right though with a new battery.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep! At that temp I had really layered up which took forever. When all was lost I had to remove 6 or 7 agonizing layers of fleece, wool, cotton, and leather while cussing the entire time.

When the wifeys Harley fired right up I knew it would be a bad day.

·
Registered
672 Posts
we here in NY, have had the teen temps, 14,16, 18, now we are talking cold with the wind chill we are talking single digits, even the wifes and my DD, had a hard time staying on, the weather sucks and heres a pic for you

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
from my understanding, i believe that a battery can get shot from a start-up. same thing has happened in cars. i have started up the cage, run somewhere and when i try to start her up again........no luck
just a bad case of bad luck. my last battery only lasted a yr and was shot too. i had to bite the bullet and buy another one.
oh well

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your battery one that you can check (and top off) the electrolyte? Might just be low.
Nope its sealed... I will try again tomorrow and may have to bite the bullet on a new one already.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
cold is harsh on batteries. and its my understanding that idling really isnt chargin the battery.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cold is harsh on batteries. and its my understanding that idling really isnt chargin the battery.
Yeah... wouldn't have charged at all without higher rpms, I am just surprised that it only lasted a year. Next year I will be bringing the battery inside I guess.

·
Registered
126 Posts
we have also had some cold weather here in N.GA. was below 30 degrees for 13 straight days. 5 mornings in the single digits thinking about my poor bike under my covered porch. i know i'm on borrowed time, but i will have had my bike 4 yrs. in may, and still on my first battery. i't does sit in front of the dryer vent!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah... wouldn't have charged at all without higher rpms, I am just surprised that it only lasted a year. Next year I will be bringing the battery inside I guess.
Redcap,
I don't want to sound like a ......head, but I went and bought a new battery charger when I thought the battery had died. The cause was the engine kill switch was on. Battery was 100%.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Redcap,
I don't want to sound like a ......head, but I went and bought a new battery charger when I thought the battery had died. The cause was the engine kill switch was on. Battery was 100%.
hehe... I check the kill switch every time, so I haven't been thru that embarrassment yet :)

The battery is still toast. Looks like I am going to need another one.

·
Registered
672 Posts
hehe... I check the kill switch every time, so I haven't been thru that embarrassment yet :)

The battery is still toast. Looks like I am going to need another one.
hows the temps in your area, mine has been startin no problem since the temps have gone up, yea i know its weird:eek:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hows the temps in your area, mine has been startin no problem since the temps have gone up, yea i know its weird:eek:
Mid 30's now, but we were subzero for a month straight... COLD

·
Registered
672 Posts
Mid 30's now, but we were subzero for a month straight... COLD
Give it another try , trying to restart the bike, mine has been restarting with no problem, i hate to jinx myself but i rather notsay it, good luck batteries are very expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been told once the battery is completely drained it will not take a charge. I had a problem with mine. I had left the key on and the battery ran down. It would not take a charge, result the local Kawsaki dealer sold a battery.

Dan

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AAARRRGGGGHHH!

Well, now the situation has worsened. Got the battery up but it will not start. Turning over fine but it will fire up. Pulled the plugs and cleaned them up as there was a lot of black residue and they smelled like fuel (from trying to start it so many times?). Still no luck.

I replaced both ignition coils last year, so I am leaning away from that problem but who knows at this point. She must know that I am in the market for a bigger bike and am planning to sell her :eek:

Would rolling it and trying to pop it in 2nd start this bike like my old dirt bike??? Think it is worth a try?

Perhaps new plugs would make a difference?

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
fuelly, wet plugs means ya fouled it out. tried starter fluid in carb?? dont be twistin on the throttle before tryin to start it either. that will contribute to foulin plugs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts