Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem:

I just got my bike a few weeks ago.

Battery was always kinda dying so I bought a tender. That helped a little while but this week the battery has been completely dead even though the tender says it is at full charge. What was wierd is that it would need to charge all night to start just once and it would run fine. And then if it needed to be started again it would putter out. However each morning the battery light would say it was full-- shouldn't the tender say this battery is not charged instead of being "Green light" or fine?

FYI now the battery charger says full but the bike is completely dead, wont move start or nothing. Should I check fuses?

I am going to buy a new battery today and charge it up and see if I have same issues.

One other note, I have been using the tender while the bike is still hooked up to bike- that should not make difference at 1.5 amps right. The box says it is for motorcycles.

I have a ninja zx6

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
The problem w/a tender is that even tho it says charged it may not be....the battery could be tired? Try checking it w/a volmeter....at full charge it should be at least 12.7 or greater...even low 12's the battery could have a shorted cell or be sulfated.

A tender is great for a good battery but does nothing for one that is on it's way out anyway.....and that what yours sounds like.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
With a 1.5amp charger on your bike battery i wouldn't be leaving it on any longer than 6 hours unless the charger has a battery sensing circuit to tell it to shut off when the battery is fully charged.

If the charger is pumping 1.5amps into the battery all the time it's hooked up then it will damage the battery and maybe the reason for your issue as you say it's left on all night.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
With a 1.5amp charger on your bike battery i wouldn't be leaving it on any longer than 6 hours unless the charger has a battery sensing circuit to tell it to shut off when the battery is fully charged.

If the charger is pumping 1.5amps into the battery all the time it's hooked up then it will damage the battery and maybe the reason for your issue as you say it's left on all night.

Something like a Optimate trickle charger puts out on a maintain charge about 300ma and will shut off when the battery is charged up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem w/a tender is that even tho it says charged it may not be....the battery could be tired? Try checking it w/a volmeter....at full charge it should be at least 12.7 or greater...even low 12's the battery could have a shorted cell or be sulfated.

A tender is great for a good battery but does nothing for one that is on it's way out anyway.....and that what yours sounds like.
Exactly! How old is your current battery? Batteries really should be changed at the longest every 2 years on a bike. I change mine about every 1.5 years. But I store mine outside so the weather conditions affect mine moreso than someone who stores in a garage all year round. I have a charger attached to the battery so I can keep it charging during the winter. The charger only kicks in when it detects the battery needs more charge. If the battery is old as I suspect it may be based on your comments, I'd just recommend spending the $80 it cost to buy one and install it yourself. Very easy to install. The bike shop mechanics over chareg to do something so simple.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey there just letting you know I switched out the battery and everything is working fine. I spent about $60 on the battery. It does stall sometimes though, but I think that is more because it is a bike from '99.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Hey there just letting you know I switched out the battery and everything is working fine. I spent about $60 on the battery. It does stall sometimes though, but I think that is more because it is a bike from '99.
I'm pretty sure they had worked out the "stalling issues" on bikes by 1999. Come to think of it, those electronic ignitions of the 70's pretty much eliminated all those pesky issues with the mechanical points of years gone by...

In all seriousness, there's something wrong with the bike. Unless you're mishandling the clutch (or running out of gas), the bike shouldn't ever be stalling out. This is coming from a guy with a bike from 1983.

Perhaps you have a loose connection or an intermittent short - which might be the cause of the battery dying.

If it just goes *bam* dead (especially if the lights all go out), it's likely electrical. Check the main connections, main fuse, fuse box and headlight connections. Jiggle the kill swith while it's running to see if it might be a short or dirty contact there.

If it runs rough or idles erratically then peters out, or you get faint popping in the exhaust, it's likely a fuel or air issue (usually, in this case, the stall pops the oil pressure light on).

If the motor seems to hitch or miss every so often, it's likely a plug or coil problem.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Yuppa......what he said.....^^^^^^^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts