Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a battery maintainer for the winter that has 2 options: 6 volt and 12 volt. Which should I have it on for the winter. I live in NY so the bike won't be started again until probably April.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Be careful if it isn't a "Smart" charger like a Battery Tender, a typical car charger can over charge a bike battery. It's OK to use one of those chargers but just don't plug it in and leave it for months at a time. Charge for a day then unplug the charger and leave it for a month, then top up the charge again.

Or you can plug the charger into a timer that only turns it on for 30-60 minutes a day etc. I used to use my car charger to keep my bike batteries charged over the winter and it had a little gauge to show the amount of charge in the battery, it only ever took a few hours to show a full charge. I just charged each battery once a month and have never had a battery fail yet. I broke down and bought a Battery Tender so can just leave then plugged in, but with mulitple batteries to charge, I still just rotate the BT from battery to battery once a month.

Don't forget to top up the cells with distilled water if your battery isn't a maintenance free as charging will cause the levels to drop somewhat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts