Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my 2004 Classic for a few months it had mysterously stopped charging. After only a few days I had to charge the battery. The shop could not find anything wrong. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your interest. The shop actually charged the battery before trying to start the bike, therefore it started right up and once it is charged it will hold the charge for a few days. They said they did check all the charging systems and did not find a problem with the diagnostics. But, unfortunately, my battery dies if left for a few days. I should think a new battery should be able to hold a charge for, at least, a few weeks. The cold weather is not a factor I live in Florida and ride every week, except when in the shop.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you,
Alex Peigi

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Battery

Check the battery connections real good! If you have a voltage meter check the voltage before you start it...then AFTER you start it check it again. It should be MORE than the voltage before the start. IF not I wold tell you that you most likely have a charging problem ON the bike. IF the battery dose have more of a voltage when you start it then you MOST LIKELY have a bad battery. If the shop want to charge you for the service each time it would be cheaper to just purchase a battery someplace else and install it yourself, but I would suspect that they will not charge you for checking your bike if you bought it there. ONE BIG question is:Are yo riding the bike enough to fully charge it after every start? If yo ar only riding it to the grocery store and then back home, or to the golf course and then back home it won't have enough time to recharge,,,and it won't do it if you are just in town idleing from light to light. Hopefully you ar eputting several real miles of open road on the bike without to many setting at lights and draining the battery. Sometimes in all the hustle and bustle of things we forget that we are not getting thigs all warmed up and or running things long and hard enough to get them fully recharged. When i lived in Hawaii, my wife had a problem with her moped battery...she was only going to the smallstore to buy some basic groceries 1/2 mile away and then riding back home...never giving the battery a chance to charge up...and she was afraid to open it up when she did ride it so it was basically idleing all the way there and back home...further taxing the battery...now if you could kill the headlight, tail lights, in cou case the fan, and turnsignals...IT ALL adds up...let us know if you are having a battery problem of if perhaps not going the distance...or perhaps if the bike shop isn't oing the distance for you...things like this are important for us to learn from.....perhaps a security system is installed???ther e are more questions at this point than information given...as curious as we are...you'll have to fill us in...the FORUM needs your feedback to understand this for future reference, so please don't feel silly if perhaps something is resting on your footbrake and running the rear brakelight....or something...like that...we have ev3en seen defective brake switches...all sorts of things...

·
Registered
142 Posts
It sounds to me that the dealership did not activate the battery correctly. I would take it back to them and have them load test it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update-battery not charging

I took my bike in for the 3rd time for the battery not charging and guess what? The battery seems to be faulty. I wasn't sure that was the problem the first time but by the second time I knew. It took the shop three trys to get it right. I should be up and running just fine soon.
Thanks for the advice from everyone.
Alex Peigi

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thank you!

Joey called it right! I've never heard of not setting ou the battery right. IF you have the time could you explain in short detail what this is and how it could happen? Curious...

·
Registered
13 Posts
1983 KZ1100L1 Battery Won't Charge Either

I replaced my battery almost immediately after buying the bike (recently), as the seller told me that battery was suspect. The bike ran great for a few days, but recently the blinkers quit blinking and soon the bike shut down. I realized that I had been running totally from the battery along (not recharging). I checked the battery cables and I found the negative cable was a little loose. I tightened both the negative and positive, recharged the battery and off I went. Now, a few days later, the same exact think with the bike running off the battery alone. It's not charging at all.

Where should I start checking? The cables are securely tightened this time.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Check the output of the Regulator

The regulator is the easiest and cheapest part, actually the Maintenance manual said that the fuse could cause this problem too (new to me) but check the fuses, clean the contacts and connectors. tell us what bike you have and have someone go through the Electrical system with you. Things may vary with a different alternator for checking values and for the Regulator/rectifier checking of values chapter 15 Electrical System 15-14 in my Ninja250R Service Manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, thanks to everyone who emailed back with suggestions.
Here is an update.
When I took my bike in for the third time because my battery would not hold a charge it surprisingly ( at least to the mechanics ) failed load testing.
My bike received a new battery and I have not had a problem since.
Alex

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ODDS

The odds of that happening are pretty slim...I had the same on my old 68 pick-up...brand new DELCO battery...So....it can happen to bike batteries as well...hmmm. Thank you for the update!

·
Registered
63 Posts
WOW,
My 86 Ninja 1000R just died on me this past weekend. After initial checking it's looking like the Generator is not charging the battery. Voltage stays right at 12.5v key off, key on, and running at 4000rpm. I will inspect the wires like mentioned above and the fuse too. Great info guys and thank you for sharing!
Hip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts