Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Battery

Check the battery connections real good! If you have a voltage meter check the voltage before you start it...then AFTER you start it check it again. It should be MORE than the voltage before the start. IF not I wold tell you that you most likely have a charging problem ON the bike. IF the battery dose have more of a voltage when you start it then you MOST LIKELY have a bad battery. If the shop want to charge you for the service each time it would be cheaper to just purchase a battery someplace else and install it yourself, but I would suspect that they will not charge you for checking your bike if you bought it there. ONE BIG question is:Are yo riding the bike enough to fully charge it after every start? If yo ar only riding it to the grocery store and then back home, or to the golf course and then back home it won't have enough time to recharge,,,and it won't do it if you are just in town idleing from light to light. Hopefully you ar eputting several real miles of open road on the bike without to many setting at lights and draining the battery. Sometimes in all the hustle and bustle of things we forget that we are not getting thigs all warmed up and or running things long and hard enough to get them fully recharged. When i lived in Hawaii, my wife had a problem with her moped battery...she was only going to the smallstore to buy some basic groceries 1/2 mile away and then riding back home...never giving the battery a chance to charge up...and she was afraid to open it up when she did ride it so it was basically idleing all the way there and back home...further taxing the battery...now if you could kill the headlight, tail lights, in cou case the fan, and turnsignals...IT ALL adds up...let us know if you are having a battery problem of if perhaps not going the distance...or perhaps if the bike shop isn't oing the distance for you...things like this are important for us to learn from.....perhaps a security system is installed???ther e are more questions at this point than information given...as curious as we are...you'll have to fill us in...the FORUM needs your feedback to understand this for future reference, so please don't feel silly if perhaps something is resting on your footbrake and running the rear brakelight....or something...like that...we have ev3en seen defective brake switches...all sorts of things...

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Thank you!

Joey called it right! I've never heard of not setting ou the battery right. IF you have the time could you explain in short detail what this is and how it could happen? Curious...

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Check the output of the Regulator

The regulator is the easiest and cheapest part, actually the Maintenance manual said that the fuse could cause this problem too (new to me) but check the fuses, clean the contacts and connectors. tell us what bike you have and have someone go through the Electrical system with you. Things may vary with a different alternator for checking values and for the Regulator/rectifier checking of values chapter 15 Electrical System 15-14 in my Ninja250R Service Manual.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
ODDS

The odds of that happening are pretty slim...I had the same on my old 68 pick-up...brand new DELCO battery...So....it can happen to bike batteries as well...hmmm. Thank you for the update!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.